PDA

View Full Version : Top Layering

Heater
01-05-2006, 00:35
I currently have a twenty year old down vest I am wnting to replace.
I am looking at the western mountaineering Flash Vest.

Do you think I'll be warm enough on the AT in early March using the Flash vest in this combo:

Long sleeve Synthetic shirt
Flash vest
Marmot Precip
Frogg Toggs rain jacketThanks!

Sly
01-05-2006, 01:56
You should be fine but better add gloves, a hat, a balaclava and some long underwear.

Heater
01-05-2006, 04:03
You should be fine but better add gloves, a hat, a balaclava and some long underwear.

I have been wanting to get some of those mittens with the seperated index finger, I just haven't seen them locally yet.

Hat and Baclava, yes.

I was taking along the long john bottoms but you think I'll need the top part in addition to what I have listed there? I guess It won't take up too much space and weight so what the heck.

Sly
01-05-2006, 04:29
In colder weather (which you'll see), in addition to a long sleeve polypro, a 100 or 200 weight fleece should do the trick. Generally when you're hiking you don't need that much, but when you hang out they'll come in handy. You'll also want to make sure you have a layer that stays dry which also can be used for sleeping.

Also, I mistook the Frogg Togg rain jacket for pants. With the Precip (jacket?) you wont need to double up but you'll find times you want to cover your legs with a wind/rain resistant/proof, breathable layer. At the very least zip-off pants.

Heater
01-05-2006, 05:29
In colder weather (which you'll see), in addition to a long sleeve polypro, a 100 or 200 weight fleece should do the trick. Generally when you're hiking you don't need that much, but when you hang out they'll come in handy. You'll also want to make sure you have a layer that stays dry which also can be used for sleeping.

Also, I mistook the Frogg Togg rain jacket for pants. With the Precip (jacket?) you wont need to double up but you'll find times you want to cover your legs with a wind/rain resistant/proof, breathable layer. At the very least zip-off pants.

I was going to bring both the Frogg Togg Jacket and the Precip with me.
The Frogg Togg jacket has a lot of room and can easily be put over any layers I have on for an extra protective layer.

You hit the nail on the head with the zip off pants. I'll be bringing those and a pair of Thermal LongJohn bottoms.

I think I'll go ahead and get the Flash vest. Hopefully, soon I can test it.
Still waiting for winter and rain especially to come to Texas. It is still in the 80's here during the day and we really need some rain.

Thanks Sly.

K-Man
01-05-2006, 14:28
I might be confused here, but I don't see the reasoning behind bringing the frogg togg rain jacket along with the marmot precip rain jacket. Both will keep you dry, neither will keep you significantly warm. Also what if the rain jacket soaks through to your down jacket? I would look into a fleece vest or other synthetic material vest. When it's cold I bring a down jacket for camp, not for hiking.