PDA

View Full Version : Sprained Big Toe

TKE402
06-21-2016, 18:43
Hi all,

Well I sprained my big toe on Sunday June 18th. Xrays confirm its NOT broken. I was scheduled to do the 100 Mile Wilderness July 1st. Is this enough time to heal? Has anyone here experience a sprained toe and how long was it before you hit the trail? I have been icing and "buddy" taping it. It's starting to feel fine today but walking around work and walking 15 miles a day are two very different things. Perhaps I should postpone?

TKE402

English Stu
06-22-2016, 08:45
I am no expert. It is not good to set off injured it is unlikely to improve on the trip.The 100 mile wilderness is problematical as there are not regular escape routes if you have to bail. A visit to sports therapist would help- they are used to getting folks fit and understand why we love to get going again a.s.a.p

There is time but you need to give it hourly, daily treatment as if you had an important race or game to play in. Maintain the rest of your body with exercises and stretching.

Lots of treatment and then two days before starting a fitness test that mimics the exercise you are going to do. A ten mile wall with your pack on? No pain throughout the test and you should be fine.

QiWiz
06-22-2016, 11:50
Hi all,

Well I sprained my big toe on Sunday June 18th. Xrays confirm its NOT broken. I was scheduled to do the 100 Mile Wilderness July 1st. Is this enough time to heal? Has anyone here experience a sprained toe and how long was it before you hit the trail? I have been icing and "buddy" taping it. It's starting to feel fine today but walking around work and walking 15 miles a day are two very different things. Perhaps I should postpone?

TKE402

The big toe is what you use to push off of in a typical stride forward. It's the most important toe you have when hiking. There are mild strains that might be fine by July 1 and more severe strains that would not, so it depends. I like Stu's idea of hiking, with pack on, on a real trail with rocks and roots, as a test in the week/days before you set out.