PDA

View Full Version : So here's the plan.....

DragonStrong
06-21-2016, 20:14
They say if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans. But here goes: Started out last Labor day and did the segment from the Mason Dixon SOBO to Harper's Ferry. This year I want to hike from Harper's Ferry for about 50 miles but in a mini flip flop. I'm going to start at Bear's Den and leave my car there and camp the first night. Day 2 take a shuttle to Harper's Ferry and hike SOBO to David Lesser shelter. Day three hike back to Bear's Den and camp overnight again and restock food and clean clothes from my car. Day four grab a shuttle south to VA 638 (trying to find a better place just south of this -- not sure) and then hike NOBO to Dick's Dome (hoping to find a better spot --I've heard this shelter is pretty crummy, and that there is a much swankier spot perhaps a little south, but I don't know the name of it or how far it is from Bear's Den). Day five hike to Rod Hollow and day six back to Bear's Den for another overnight camp and then head home. It's a long drive for me, and I hate driving and hiking on the same day, so I came up with this cockamamie plan and would appreciate any and all advice.

rafe
06-21-2016, 21:43
I'm pretty sure the old Dick's Dome shelter has been torn down and rebuilt. I remember seeing a post about that, not too long ago.

Studlintsean
06-21-2016, 22:57
I live in this area and have hiked it a few times. Here is what I would do for your Northbound part of your hike (not exactly sure where VA 683 is):

- Day 4 Start at US 55/ Linden, VA, hike past Dicks Dome Shelter and camp at the campsite on the left past Dick's Dome (there is a spring off to the rightt of the trail ~50 yards before the path to the campsite on the left)
-Day 5- Hike to Rod Hollow or camp along the trail past it
-Day 6- Finish at Bear's Den

Enjoy the hike.

DragonStrong
06-22-2016, 04:09
Thanks a bunch. I've been consulting maps, websites, tea leaves, you name it. Best advice so far-- Much appreciated.

tdoczi
06-22-2016, 08:52
not to discourage you from doing this at all, but as someone who used to go the convoluted route i think one day you might realize that all of that takes too much away from the hiking and you might start playing it straight.

rafe
06-22-2016, 09:08
In my humble opinion? Way too much car and shuttle involvement for a five day trip.

Having said that, I've seen where use Bears Den as a base for short expeditions, returning there night after night.

DragonStrong
06-22-2016, 09:34
Like I said: Cockamamie. I just wanted to break it up a little bit and also do shorter distances each day to make up for the roller coaster part of it. Taking several things into consideration like hiking with my dog, and also last time I remember feeling like I missed a lot just walking straight through. I felt like I walked by a lot of scenic views and passed right through Washington Monument SP because I was so tired, and worried about making it to the next shelter on time. I just wanted to make it more of a slow going time with three whole days interspersed to just camp and relax and meet other people. I think it's worth giving it a try but I promise I will take your advice next year and hike a straight through segment from one place to another and stop all this nonsense! Thank you so much for your advice and please be patient with me while I'm too inexperienced or dumb to take it!