PDA

View Full Version : 7-day shakedown hike suggestions?

Gelfling
06-21-2016, 22:07
I'm planning a 2017 thru-hike of the AT, and I have one week in mid-July to do my first shakedown hike (squeak!). I live in Florida and would like a section I can drive to within a day. This limits me to Georgia and N.C./Tenn. sections. I was thinking of either doing Amicalola approach trail
to Neels Gap round trip OR Hot Springs to Max Patch round trip. Any suggestions for alternatives or advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated!

DavidNH
06-21-2016, 22:18
with one week you could traverse GSMNP. Amicalola Approach Trail to Neels gap is about 4 days. Max Patch is a gorgeous spot.. bald grassy summit with 360 degree views.I think being mid-July I'd head for the Smokies as higher elevations will likely mean cooler temps.

Mr. Bumpy
06-21-2016, 22:21
There is good Parking at Nantahala Outdoor Center to do the Bartram Trail / AT loop. There are several locations to tack on some extra miles. You'd have generally higher elevations and several streams to help beat the heat.

http://nantahalaoutdoorcenter.blogspot.com/2010/08/nc-bartram-trail-hike.html

There are also several loops to do in the smokies from any one of several secure parking locations where you could include a large chunk of the AT, but then you have to deal with registering and sticking to a schedule.

HooKooDooKu
06-21-2016, 23:53
To do GSMNP, you would have to get a General Backbacking permit and get a reservation for each shelter you plan to stay at.
But on the plus side, if you can get the needed reservations, the trail is pretty much at 5,000' - 6,000' in elevation once you do the initial climbs our of Fontana or Davenport. Cooler weather for what has quickly turned into a hot summer. (Forcast for this weekend calls for day-time highs of about 97º in the valleys, while the mountain tops should only see about 75º).

rafe
06-22-2016, 00:22
I'd avoid GSMNP due to the logistical issues -- need for reservations, etc.

Erwin to Elk Park (US 19E) is a really beautiful section.

-Rush-
06-22-2016, 01:46
IMO, for a shakedown hike that will test you and your gear it doesn't get much better than these two.

Neel Gap to Rock Gap (75 miles)
Dick's Creek Gap to NOC (climbing to Cheoha Bald and back down to NOC) (80 miles)

With the weather and extra gear sometimes required in the smokies, I don't think it's as good of a place for a shakedown hike.

bigcranky
06-22-2016, 06:44
Is there a particular reason you would do the round trip? Anywhere in the South it's easy enough to schedule a shuttle driver to pick you up for a one-way hike at a reasonable cost.

If you start at Amicalola Falls SP and do the Approach Trail, then hike to Unicoi Gap, you'll have done sixty miles and can brag on it a bit. :) You can resupply at Neels Gap, which makes this section pretty simple from a logistical standpoint.

daddytwosticks
06-22-2016, 07:16
Is there a particular reason you would do the round trip? Anywhere in the South it's easy enough to schedule a shuttle driver to pick you up for a one-way hike at a reasonable cost.

If you start at Amicalola Falls SP and do the Approach Trail, then hike to Unicoi Gap, you'll have done sixty miles and can brag on it a bit. :) You can resupply at Neels Gap, which makes this section pretty simple from a logistical standpoint.

I'd do this but maybe southbound. The first short climb out of Unicoi will be an eye-opener, but then the first day or two would be relatively easy. Your vehicle will probably be safer at the southern end. Just grab a shuttle to Unicoi Gap. Finish up at the Lodge at AFSP with a nice room, shower, and good food. :)

Christoph
06-22-2016, 07:33
I recently parked at Amicalola, hiked to Unicoi, then spent some time in Helen, Ga. That was a pretty fun trip with a few good challenges in it. Or maybe start at Unicoi and head back to the Falls. Either way parking is pretty good.

MtDoraDave
06-22-2016, 07:33
A week? Either the first leg - Amicalola to Dick's Creek, using a shuttle back when done - or Dick's Creek to NOC. As was mentioned, the first section has a resupply point right on the trail, while the second section has a 10 mile trip into Franklin about half way through.

Most Thru's start in March or so, when the temps are much colder, so what you need for a July trip (clothing-wise) will be considerably different than what you need for a March start date... If you could get a week off in November or December, you would get a better feel for what the cold nights will be like. Then again, I have no idea how much experience you have hiking - but since I'm from the same part of the country you are, I had to go through a "winter" camping learning curve to find out how much cold weather clothing I need for days that barely get above freezing and nights that dip into the teens - and of course I needed to find out what temperature rating sleeping bag I required...

I wouldn't suggest the Smokies as a shakedown run, since sleeping in shelters is required - you may not get a chance to shakedown your tent/hammock/ tarp sleep systems as well as you can in the first couple sections.

Gelfling
06-22-2016, 09:00
Thank you all!! I wanted to round trip for the ease of ending up at my car, but if the shuttle services are easy, then based on your suggestions I'm thinking Unicoi Gap to Amicalola SP (parking at the southern end) or Neel Gap to Rock Gap. I'm new to backpacking, so I'll avoid GSMNP until I know what my pace is going to be. I'll do another hike over Thanksgiving holiday to test my winter gear. Ya'll are awesome!!

QiWiz
06-22-2016, 11:44
I'm planning a 2017 thru-hike of the AT, and I have one week in mid-July to do my first shakedown hike (squeak!). I live in Florida and would like a section I can drive to within a day. This limits me to Georgia and N.C./Tenn. sections. I was thinking of either doing Amicalola approach trail
to Neels Gap round trip OR Hot Springs to Max Patch round trip. Any suggestions for alternatives or advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated!

I think your idea of Amicalola SP to Neels Gap to Amicalola SP is a good shakedown. Will be hot in mid-July, but so will be most of the country. Will give you a good idea of some of the ups and downs of the southern end.

KidA24
06-22-2016, 13:30
Thank you all!! I wanted to round trip for the ease of ending up at my car, but if the shuttle services are easy, then based on your suggestions I'm thinking Unicoi Gap to Amicalola SP (parking at the southern end) or Neel Gap to Rock Gap. I'm new to backpacking, so I'll avoid GSMNP until I know what my pace is going to be. I'll do another hike over Thanksgiving holiday to test my winter gear. Ya'll are awesome!!

Just a suggestion, but shuttle at the start, not at the end of your hike. Always nice to end up at your car... and not waiting for and then stinking up someone else's. :)

rafe
06-22-2016, 13:47
Just a suggestion, but shuttle at the start, not at the end of your hike. Always nice to end up at your car... and not waiting for and then stinking up someone else's. :)

+1 on that. Get the timing and "meetup" issues out of the way at the start.