PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Camping

Rowdy Yates
06-22-2016, 09:28
I know absolutely nothing about hammock camping, so I am about to ask some "dumb questions", at at least they sound dumb to me, so here goes (please don't laugh) 1.) What is needed to set up a hammock camp? I know I need some type of ultralight hammock but what type? 2.) Is there other items necessary to hang and protect from the elements? See, I told you I was dumb on this subject. Would someone with the know how please walk me through this so when I get my outfit I will get the right items. You can stop laughing now!

SteelCut
06-22-2016, 09:30
http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-camping-101/

OCDave
06-22-2016, 09:43
Hammock- Getting something long enough to achieve a flat lie is essential. (10.5- 11 feet)
Suspension- Multiple options to connect hammock to trees. Start with tree straps/ tree huggers, consider adding whoopie slings
Weather protection - You'll need a tarp. Least expensive option= the blue construction tarp but, many more suitable options
Under-insulation- At minimum, a closed-cell foam pad in the bottom of your hammock. Most comfortable= a full-length down underquilt.

Google "Shug Hammock" and find hundreds of comical yet informative videos covering everything you need and more.

Uncle Joe
06-22-2016, 09:50
Youtube "Shug Emery" and prepare yourself for a plethora of information.

Rowdy Yates
06-22-2016, 14:33
Hammock- Getting something long enough to achieve a flat lie is essential. (10.5- 11 feet)
Suspension- Multiple options to connect hammock to trees. Start with tree straps/ tree huggers, consider adding whoopie slings
Weather protection - You'll need a tarp. Least expensive option= the blue construction tarp but, many more suitable options
Under-insulation- At minimum, a closed-cell foam pad in the bottom of your hammock. Most comfortable= a full-length down underquilt.

Google "Shug Hammock" and find hundreds of comical yet informative videos covering everything you need and more.

Hammock -- what light weight hammock would you recommend. I am 5' 11" tall and weigh 196 lbs.
Weather Protection -- Again, what are some of the options available and what size tap recommended.
As you can readily see, I am a novice. I have always dwelt on the ground, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

gbolt
06-22-2016, 20:46
For someone that has alway's dwelt on the ground; I would suggest you look at the Warbonnet Blackbird Double Layer 1.1. Not the lightest weight but it is an all inclusive easy to learn system to start with. For Weather Protection and easing the learning curve, go with the Superfly Tarp from Warbonnet as well. His website also gives nice video's showing his products. As mentioned, Shug on You Tube makes the learning curve a lot easier. There are many other hammock makers (Dream Hammocks, Dutch Half Wit etc) but each has their own trademark details that need researched and debated. Warbonnet is a great system that doesn't really lose it's value and can be easily resold should you determine something else fits your needs. I myself have never desired anything else and will never go back to the ground if I can help it!

Time Zone
06-22-2016, 21:02
I know absolutely nothing about hammock camping, so I am about to ask some "dumb questions", at at least they sound dumb to me, so here goes (please don't laugh) 1.) What is needed to set up a hammock camp? I know I need some type of ultralight hammock but what type? 2.) Is there other items necessary to hang and protect from the elements? See, I told you I was dumb on this subject. Would someone with the know how please walk me through this so when I get my outfit I will get the right items. You can stop laughing now!

I agree with the posters above, and would also suggest you find Hammock Forums online.
In short, 1) why are you interested in an ultralight hammock? At your weight, you'll be pushing the weight limit of at least one ultralight one I know of (Grand Trunk's, which used to have a 250 lb limit but now it is 200). The hammock itself isn't likely to be an area to save weight anyway. Instead, your suspension system and tarp are more likely candidates for shaving ounces, if you so desire.
2) Other items to hang and protect ... bug net, tarp, and insulation (top and bottom). Some hammocks have a built-in bug net - seems rather convenient to me. The Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro can just be flipped over if you don't want to use or sit on the bug net. Tarps come in many sizes, shapes, and materials, providing a very broad range of coverage, durability, weight, and cost. Insulation - believe it or not, you'll be chilled from underneath if temps drop below 70F. You either need an underquilt or throw a sleeping bag pad in the hammock. I would recommend a foam pad to start, esp. if you already have one. Underquilts can be expensive and it's wise, IMO, to have a sense that hanging is definitely for you before you invest in an underquilt. You also need warmth on top too, but that can be a down bag that is just draped like a quilt, or a throw blanket, etc.

The pros and cons of all these things can be learned with some visits to Hammock Forums, The Ultimate Hang, and Shug's videos.

Five Tango
06-22-2016, 21:04
After you check out Shug Emery on YT just head on over to hammockforums.net and you will learn everything there is to know about hammocks and suspensions and the like.Great forum.Tip-you will likely never be happy with a hammock until you spring for the cost of a down underquilt.

Bird Dawg
06-22-2016, 22:05
After you check out Shug Emery on YT just head on over to hammockforums.net and you will learn everything there is to know about hammocks and suspensions and the like.Great forum.Tip-you will likely never be happy with a hammock until you spring for the cost of a down underquilt.

+1. Lots of cottage vendors offering quality underquilts and top quilts. You can always start with a pad - but once you get a down underquilt, you'll never look back.

Hammock systems aren't the lightest set ups for long distance hiking - but at my age, I can't see sleeping on the ground for an extended period of time. Did a week-long AT section hike last year and split my time between shelters and my hammock. Got the best sleep in my hammock every time. There are trade-offs to be sure - but like most everything else (footwear, packs, cook systems, etc.) you have to find out what works for you.

Check out Dutch's web site (http://www.dutchwaregear.com/hammock-stuff/hammocks/) and consider one of his 11' net-less hammocks. Great place to start without spending a ton of money.

OCDave
06-22-2016, 22:10
Hammock -- what light weight hammock would you recommend. I am 5' 11" tall and weigh 196 lbs.
Weather Protection -- Again, what are some of the options available and what size tap recommended.

My favorite Hammock is the Wilderness Logics Lite Owl http://www.wildernesslogics.com/LITE-OWL-LITE-OWL.htm
At your weight, you could also consider the Wilderness Logics Snipe http://www.wildernesslogics.com/Snipe-Snipe.htm
Both will come with a suspension. Use this hammock year-round but add a BIAS Buginator during mosquito season http://www.buttinasling.com/buginator.html

My favorite Tarp is the Warbonnet SuperFly https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/superfly/

I have several hammocks and a few tarps; those listed above are the ones I'd buy again if I lost everything.

All my quilts are from HammockGear http://www.hammockgear.com

Good Luck

QiWiz
06-23-2016, 14:30
hammockforums.net is the best resource I know. Many more posts/day than WB despite a smaller number of members; it's a very passionate group.

scrabbler
06-23-2016, 15:09
Also one of the first things you should do over on Hammockforums is try to find the sticky post that lists what all the acronyms are. Otherwise you'll be lost quick with things like "83% is a good guess for RL length for the WBBB."

plexusbritt
06-24-2016, 16:55
Like everyone says, go to the hammock forums. I've been a member over there for over a year and my gear evolved so much more rapidly once I had that community on board. I have used a tent twice in almost 7 years. They are not light weight by any means but, the better night sleep means that I can put more miles in and ache a lot less when it is all said and done. I'm 25 but my physically demanding job leaves me sore without having to sleep on the ground in my off time.

Dutch has some great items in online store. google dutch hammocks and his site should pop up pretty quick.