PDA

View Full Version : 30-day section hike in early April - Crowds and good starting points

CSteele
06-22-2016, 17:54
Hi all,

I am in the early stages of planning a 30-day (possibly longer) section hike of the AT starting early April. I am wondering how crowded Georgia gets during this time. Also, let me know if you have any recommendations as far as starting point / section of the AT. I am an avid day hiker with no overnight hiking experience.

Cal

rafe
06-22-2016, 18:11
As crowded as it gets. Right around peak starting season for northbound AT thru hikers.

Lone Wolf
06-22-2016, 18:21
Hi all,

I am in the early stages of planning a 30-day (possibly longer) section hike of the AT starting early April. I am wondering how crowded Georgia gets during this time. Also, let me know if you have any recommendations as far as starting point / section of the AT. I am an avid day hiker with no overnight hiking experience.

Cal

around 50 per day starting.

MuddyWaters
06-22-2016, 19:06
Start last week of April if start in GA.
Seriously.
Way fewer people, better weather.
Unless its your intent to immerse yourself in the bubble.

You could time it, so that you just reach Damascus for Trail Days in 30 days if thats a goal as well.

bigcranky
06-22-2016, 21:07
If you want to start hiking on the AT in early April and avoid big crowds, start in Damascus or further north into central Virginia. You'll be ahead of big crowds there, though the trail will not be empty. Note that it's still winter in early April even in Georgia -- not Canadian winter, but it's not as warm as many people expect.

CSteele
06-22-2016, 23:22
Thanks for the idea, I'm trying to get a bit more flexibility on my dates but would Damascus in Winter be getting into the realms of 4 season camping gear? I don't mind a little cold but I'm worried my lack of experience might make it a little dangerous.

bstiffler
06-23-2016, 06:03
Planning on doing my next trip possibly in mid april. I'm thinking about going north bound and ending in harpers ferry. Ill probably have about 20 days. Does anyone have suggestions for a southern starting point?

bigcranky
06-23-2016, 07:00
Thanks for the idea, I'm trying to get a bit more flexibility on my dates but would Damascus in Winter be getting into the realms of 4 season camping gear? I don't mind a little cold but I'm worried my lack of experience might make it a little dangerous.

It won't be much (if any) different from starting in Georgia in early April. It's still late winter, with average temps in the 30s at night, though it can be significantly colder or warmer over a 30-day span. By the end of April it's getting much better, lows around 50 (again, with wide swings). If you start, say, April 1, be prepared for lows in the 20s some nights, but most nights it'll be warmer than that. You might get some snow, but the worst weather will be 35-F and raining, which is pretty miserable (and can be dangerous).

Starting from Springer will be more crowded on the trail, but it has some major advantages: you'll be with other people starting out, and can get a lot of support and encouragement from them. There's a level of camaraderie that can be rather enjoyable. You'll be able to learn all the techniques of long distance hiking (resupply, planning, etc.) under fairly gentle circumstances, and hikers look out for each other when it comes to things like hypothermia :). The thing to do is avoid starting on a weekend, or a notable date like April 1.

No matter where you start, you'll need a decent weather proof tent, a good sleeping bag rated in the 15-F range, a sleeping pad for ground insulation, and the proper clothing. You can find a pretty good packing list here at this link (http://www.backpacker.com/trips/georgia/pack-man-the-appalachian-trail-guru/4/#bp=0/img1), or check this post I wrote a few years ago about winter clothing on the Southern AT (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/31242-Cold-Weather-Clothes?p=487795#post487795) (note that it's aimed at a February start, so back off on the insulation a little bit, but the concepts are still valid for April). Try to keep your dry pack weight (no food or water) to 20 pounds or less, so you'll have roughly 30 pounds at the start, though of course many hikers start with much heavier packs.

Depending on how you want to travel to Georgia, I'd recommend staying at The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, GA, the night before your hike. They'll pick you up, take you back to the (very nice) hostel, give you a clean bunk and a great breakfast, and a ride to the trail in the morning, all for a reasonable cost. The best part is meeting other hikers who are starting the next day, so you have some friends on the trail before you start. I've stayed there three times now, and enjoyed them all. You will want to make a reservation very far in advance, though.

bigcranky
06-23-2016, 07:07
Planning on doing my next trip possibly in mid april. I'm thinking about going north bound and ending in harpers ferry. Ill probably have about 20 days. Does anyone have suggestions for a southern starting point?

Rockfish Gap (southern end of Shenandoah NP): 165 miles, 8mpd, pretty short

Daleville, VA: 300 miles, 15mpd, about average

Pearisburg, VA, 400 miles, 20mpd, a stretch for most people

Daleville is particularly easy to get to, being right on I-81 in central Virginia. Lots of services, too, with a decent outfitter, groceries, hotel, etc., in case you need any of those before starting.

Slo-go'en
06-23-2016, 10:04
bstiffer: I did HF to Daleville in about 3 weeks last year. It's probably better to go SOBO, as the northern end is a lot easier then the southern end.

April weather is all over the place. I did the HF April 17th Flip Flop start this year and the first two weeks of April were great. Then we had 2 weeks of cold and rain for the first half of May. Who knows what it will be next year.

colorado_rob
06-23-2016, 11:40
I'd start 30 days north of Damascus, head south, finishing your month in Damascus. It will be warmer in April further north in VA because of the lower altitudes. Those Grayson Highlands (just north of Damascus) can get mighty cold in early April. How about starting in the Shennies (can't resist!) then head down towards Damascus, whether yo umake it all the way there or not?

By the time you get to the Grayson Highlands it will be the end of April, should be nice by then. Starting out in SNP would work for an overnight-hiking rookie, as there are plenty of beginner friendly shelters/campgrounds and hot cooked-food waysides.

Just my 2 cents. I did three Aprils on the AT, the first one in GA, horribly crowded, as has been said. The second was from SNP up into PA. The third was mid-NJ up just into VT. Perfect weather the 2nd/3rd trips, and zero crowds.

QiWiz
06-23-2016, 14:22
You will be part of the thru-hiker bubble if you start at Springer, but that will give you a taste of the thru-hiker experience, which can be cool or annoying depending on your preferences. You will still hike by yourself but will see many folks in camp at shelters. Make sure to have your own tent or tarp so you do not have to rely on sleeping in shelters. If you time it right from Springer, you can get to Damascus in about 5 weeks for Trail Days festivities (if that interests you).

OR maybe this all sounds terrible. Start NOBO at Harpers Ferry to avoid these crowds. Or go SOBO from the north to end up in Damascus for Trail Days if you want that crazy time experience.