PDA

View Full Version : ID Bivys

Just Jeff
01-05-2006, 01:38
Has anyone used the ID Salathe bivy or the Rescue bivy?

Salathe: http://knradventuregear.com/Tents_Bivy%20Sacks/id_bivies/salathe_bivy.htm

Rescue: http://knradventuregear.com/Tents_Bivy%20Sacks/id_bivies/Rescue_bivy.htm

They don't give a girth measurement, so I'm wondering if there is enough room for a DAM and cold-weather bag inside the bivy, with the bivy inside a hammock. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jeff

Ratbert
01-05-2006, 18:28
Hi Jeff:

I have an ID Salathe that I use for my winter set-up. My WM Puma (9" loft) fits inside well. I use a hip length Therma-Rest inside the bivy and a full length Ridge-Rest outside the bivy. Stays warm and dry and there's plenty of room.

Now, in a hammock? Wow, not sure about that. You could slither down inside in an open top hammock I suppose, but you might need to be a contortionist. I don't see it working in a HH though ... just my $.02.

2Ply
01-05-2006, 19:04
I've used my Salathe bivy in both my Clark and Crazy Crib hammocks (both open top) for Winter use. The Salathe opens up enough for "easy" entry and the zippers let you stick your arms out for reading and stuff.

Just Jeff
01-05-2006, 20:47
Thanks for the info, guys.

2Ply, what size pads did you use? Were they inside or outside the bivy?

2Ply
01-05-2006, 21:54
Slumberjack hiker light 3/4 pad on the inside. This year I'm trying a Kelty Light Year with the foot vent to slide the hammock inside the bag ,similar to an under quilt.

SGT Rock
01-05-2006, 21:56
Sounds like an awfully complicated set up. I'm not sure a bivy would be that much of an advantage inside a hammock anyway.

KirkMcquest
01-05-2006, 22:00
Sounds like an awfully complicated set up. I'm not sure a bivy would be that much of an advantage inside a hammock anyway.

Not really that complicated at all, sounds pretty simple

SGT Rock
01-05-2006, 22:01
No I mean complicated to use. A hammock sleeping system can be fairly simple to use and get into.

Just Jeff
01-05-2006, 22:15
Rock, I'm talking about using it in a Sierra blizzard...100+ mph winds, temps in the teens, snow blowing inside the hammock from under a low-pitched tarp, etc.

My first thought was to make a bivy that surrounds the entire hammock, like DebW's. My Hammock Sock works very well at cutting wind, but it's not waterproof. To get a fully waterproof bivy that big would be extra weight over just a normal sized bivy (most fully waterproof ones are approaching two pounds anyway).

Shortly before Christmas I got caught out in such a storm - that's what prompted me to look into this. I need a more solid backup plan for winter hiking in the high Sierra. If you're interested, here's my trip report: http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesWinnemucca.html.

So most of the time I won't use it, but in that storm I think a simple fully-waterproof bivy would have enabled me to remain in the hammock instead of bailing into the tent. Under those conditions, that's the simplest, lightest and safest solution I can think of to allow me to stay in the hammock all night...plus give me a reliable go-to-ground option no matter how high the winds are.

KirkMcquest
01-05-2006, 22:16
No I mean complicated to use. A hammock sleeping system can be fairly simple to use and get into.

I think you just contradicted yourself, is it simple or complicated?

SGT Rock
01-05-2006, 22:17
Yes, I see how that could come in handy at those times. A thought would be to make something like the HH Supershelter that goes on the outside of the entire hammock and then if it is that bad, set it up on the ground completly. Then again, anything but a 4 season expedition tent is going to create some compromise in situations like that.

Skidsteer
01-05-2006, 22:19
I think you just contradicted yourself, is it simple or complicated?

Oh, for cryin' out loud.

Just Jeff
01-08-2006, 02:34
I pulled into the parking lot at the REI member sale and asked my wife, "Wouldn't it be great if they had a good bivy sack for half price?"

So I bought the ID Salathe for about $85...somebody brought it back because they didn't like the design, so there's nothing wrong with it.

Great find. And I found a good GPS, too. :clap

smokymtnsteve
01-08-2006, 03:00
yep..in conditions like that the best thing to do is dig a snow hole then get in that "body bag":jump