PDA

View Full Version : Southbound Vs northbound "War"

Doctari
06-23-2016, 16:30
During a ride this year, a shuttle driver in VA told a story of hikers in a "hiker friendly bar" of some SOBOS & NOBOS actually getting into a fight over what direction was "BEST", to the point of hikers are no longer welcome at this bar. I was in the very rear of the van so didn't hear all of the details, like: when, name of the bar, etc. However, this seems quite the STUPID thing to fight over IMHO.
The miles hiked are EXACTLY the same!!! The Elevation gain & loss is EXACTLY the same!!! Some things are easier or harder if you are going NOBO & some things are easier or harder if going SOBO!
Yes, it is fun to do some good natured digging at each other, as long as we all realize it's only hiking & if you have put one foot in front of the other for nearly 2200 miles, it doesn't really matter which direction you are pointed when you put your feet in front of each other. In fact, there are places along the AT where, no matter which way you are headed, your compass will say you are going the other.
SO, these hikers ruined it for everyone who follows & over what?
SOBO or NOBO, IT REALLY DOSENT MATTER!! Choose the direction that suites you & go for it! As you pass someone going the other direction, be happy for them, THEY ARE OUT THERE HIKING!! Want to hike a flip flop? COOL, go for it!!
Section hiking? Good for you! Thru hiking? Good for you! Both have their plusses & minuses & that doesn't matter either!
Try to be civil to each other out there, you never know who is watching.
Got a favorite: Hostel, waterfall, road crossing, etc, & you meet someone who doesn't like that particular "Whatever" SO WHAT!! Maybe they were at the hostel on a bad day (them or staff) or twisted an ankle at the waterfall, or ??????? Or maybe it's the reverse & you really had a (to you at least) bad experience at the hostelwaterfallroadcrossing! Let it go! It was a way to make you stronger without killing you. :-) Long distance hiking is hard sometimes & sometimes we just have a bad day regardless.

Here's to never hearing a similar story again!!

greensleep
06-23-2016, 17:08
I find it hard to believe anybody would actually argue over sobo vs nobo. Sounds blown out of proportion, or, maybe way too much alcohol was involved.

rafe
06-23-2016, 17:08
Baltimore Jack used to love ragging on southbounders, never missed a chance.

But you know, we hiker types can argue over just about anything...

Lone Wolf
06-23-2016, 17:25
I find it hard to believe anybody would actually argue over sobo vs nobo.

yeah really, cuz SOBO IS the way to go

rocketsocks
06-23-2016, 17:31
yeah really, cuz SOBO IS the way to goduck season! :D

greentick
06-23-2016, 17:43
rabbit season!

Another Kevin
06-23-2016, 18:07
The Elevation gain & loss is EXACTLY the same!!!

Katahdin is higher than Springer.

Sarcasm the elf
06-23-2016, 18:11

I disagree. :D

rafe
06-23-2016, 18:12

Except that there's no way to start (or end) a hike at the top of Katahdin. ;)

Lone Wolf
06-23-2016, 18:18
Jumpstart parachuted on springer to start his hike

mattjv89
06-23-2016, 18:36
I agree with the sentiment that the situation you describe was probably fueled by alcohol in a big way. It's a total non issue on the trail in my experience, just friendly ribbing at most. I've definitely heard that you should never trust a southbounder...

rafe
06-23-2016, 18:41
Jumpstart parachuted on springer to start his hike

Yeah, I've heard of that. I somehow doubt we've had a similar start on K. Anyone? Bueller?

rickb
06-23-2016, 18:41
Since when do SOBOs and NOBOS cross in VA?

MuddyWaters
06-23-2016, 19:57
A bit of good natured ribbing has been around a long time.
With the occassional choice words on shelter walls.

rocketsocks
06-23-2016, 20:55
Yeah, I've heard of that. I somehow doubt we've had a similar start on K. Anyone? Bueller?
fer real????

egilbe
06-23-2016, 21:11

Im pretty sure the rangers would have a fit! Can you imagine missing the drop zone and being dashed against the rocks? The damage to the fragile alpine zone? Carrying that parachute back down Hunt trail? Yikes.

Berserker
06-24-2016, 12:32
You know, it's a sign of the times. In our current society one can get shot for not merging the way someone else would like them to on the highway. So an argument about something that at least has a little substance and ends in no gun fire...sounds like a win win :rolleyes:

LittleRock
06-27-2016, 08:04
That story kind of reminds me of The Butter Battle Book by Dr. Seuss.

colorado_rob
06-27-2016, 09:00
I love this little "fight", and hear it discussed a bunch on the trail, kinda like cross-town sports rivalry's, perhaps. And you hear the "purists" claiming the only true AT thru starts at Springer, ends on Katadin, no significant stopping along the way. Classic!

As far as the elevation changing being exactly the same... well, it kinda is, is it not? A half a million total vertical gain (and the same loss) on the AT divided into the 5300-3800 end point height difference = 0.3% difference... that's "exact" in my definition of hiking elevation changes!

Doctari
06-27-2016, 19:35
I agree with the sentiment that the situation you describe was probably fueled by alcohol in a big way. It's a total non issue on the trail in my experience, just friendly ribbing at most. I've definitely heard that you should never trust a southbounder...

Well, they were in a bar! So, Yes, Alcohol WAS involved. :-) Still, no Excuse!

Doctari
06-27-2016, 19:39
There was some good natured ribbing along this hike between us section hikers & the Thrus. Along the lines of: D"**n Thrus" & " Lousy Sectioners" But only among friends, usually as one or the other got into camp or shelter area. AND, we all knew that everyone was joking. The driver indicated this was not even a little friendly.

Bronk
06-28-2016, 08:46
I've never had a problem with arguing over northbound vs. southbound but the section hikers are getting worse every year. Not reserving shelter space for thruhikers, raiding the hiker boxes. I even had a section hiker refuse to carry my pack when I wanted to slackpack a section. They just don't seem to understand what it means to be a thruhiker anymore.

McPick
06-28-2016, 10:46
More and more frequently it seems that there just isn't enough ugliness in the world already...

rocketsocks
06-28-2016, 11:01
...day hikers rule, thru-hikes drool. :D

peakbagger
06-28-2016, 11:09
Im pretty sure the rangers would have a fit! Can you imagine missing the drop zone and being dashed against the rocks? The damage to the fragile alpine zone? Carrying that parachute back down Hunt trail? Yikes.

Two folks paraglided from the summit of Katahdin awhile back. They got busted when they landed, one paid the fine and the other challenged it in court. The judge through out the fine as the park rules didn't cover paragliding. They do now.

RoamingGentile
06-29-2016, 14:01
So if a NOBO and a SOBO meet on the trail. Who has the right of way?:D

Mags
06-29-2016, 14:38
IIRC, the last major Southbound vs Northbound was in the early 1860s.

egilbe
06-29-2016, 17:24
So if a NOBO and a SOBO meet on the trail. Who has the right of way?:D

Whomever is trudging uphill

JLorenzo77
07-06-2016, 12:40
I'm such a good hiker I can go both directions at the same time.