PDA

View Full Version : To polyester or not to polyester

Zman
06-24-2016, 07:41
My friends, I am the one who posted a thread called "bad at directions." I have learned a lot from your comments and I appreciate all of them. I have decided to start with a four day hike next April. I will start at Amacalola Falls and proceed to Neels gap. If this works out, in the fall I may try a nine day hike. After that, I may try a through hike the following year. As one person told me, start with small bite. I now have a request in in regards to dressing for cold weather. It seems some people prefer synthetic sleeping bags. Some people prefer down. As far as base layers, rain jacket, and everything else to keep you warm and dry, there are so many different ways to proceed. I would like some of you to give me your opinion as to what you have worn in cold wet times of hiking. Also, which sleeping bag you may prefer. I have learned that a 15° bag would be best. Also, do not bring a downed bag because it is very hard to keep dry. For those of you that have experienced this, can you please give me some pointers as what to purchase to keep warm and dry. Once again I would greatly appreciate your help. Maybe you can also give me pointers on which backpack to get. Thanks again

Studlintsean
06-24-2016, 08:17
You will probably get lots of varying advice, none of which is incorrect. What works for
someone may not work for you. I am a very very warm bodied person but this is what works for me. I prefer the shorts/light base layer combo for my legs (although I am going to use some pants on an upcoming hike out west this summer). On top, I normally wear a Cap 2 Tshirt and a Cap 2 long sleeve and an additional 100 weight fleece if needed. I also have a beanie and gloves that I constantly add/ remove depending on terrain. I also have a rain jacket and pants if it is wet or super cold/ windy. When I get to camp I have heavy weight base layer top and bottom which are in the bottom of my pack in a trash bag to keep dry. I carry a Monbell Alpine light hooded parka and heavy weight expedition socks from REI to put on after I let my feet dry out. I also use a WM Alpinelite 20 degree bag which is also in the trash bag (along with down parka). I have never had an issue with keeping my camp items dry despite falling in numerous creeks (poor balance when crossing logs). This is typically what I will bring Nov- Feb/ March in the VA area. Hope this helps and enjoy your hike.

Turtle-2013
06-24-2016, 08:22
I'm sure you will get LOTS of suggestions ... most of which will likely contradict mine. However, I'll weigh in anyway ; ) .... I hiked all of GA in April of 2015 with a 50 degree quilt and a +15 degree liner, and was never cold. I hiked the Northern part of the Smokies into Hot Springs in April of 2013 when temps went into the 20s with a similar setup and stayed comfortable. I hiked a section between the two in April of 2014 had brought along a 40 degree down quilt and a light liner because they were calling for colder temps. ..... I would DIE with a 15 degree bag. That said it may be exactly what YOU need, people are SO different. I SWEAT in a sleeping bag, didn't when I was younger, but I do know. And THEN I get cold. If I can regulate my temp so I don't sweat, I stay comfortable. I always bring fiber-filled when the humidity is higher since it retains more of it's warmth when damp. I bring down-filled when the temps and the humidity is lower, because it is easy enough to keep it dry, and it just feels so warm for it's carry weight. BOTTOM LINE: What I'm trying to say is that ultimately you have to figure it out for yourself, but don't assume that "a 15° bag would be best. " in Georgia in April ... you need to watch the weather forecast (subtract 5-10° from the lower elevation forecasts), know YOUR body, and bring what is appropriate for the combination of factors. You might want to experiment in your "back yard" in MS next winter when you can always add or subtract or abandon for your warm bed inside. ; ) Best of luck ... p.s. much the same for nearly every piece of equipment, listen to everyone, but experience is the BEST teacher!!!!

bigcranky
06-24-2016, 09:09
My guess is that most hikers on the AT are using down sleeping bags. The advantages of down include lighter weight and much smaller packed size for the same warmth, and they last much longer -- a lifetime, if well cared for. A good down bag is expensive, yes, but costs less than buying a new synthetic bag every few years. I have three down bags: a 0-F bag, a 20-F bag, and a 45-F quilt. In April I'd take the 20-F unless the short term forecast were for unusually cold weather.

The key to using a down bag is to keep it dry, of course. This is not particularly difficult, since one wants to keep all one's gear and clothing dry. You'll note that there are very few reports of hikers dying each year on the AT because their down bag got wet. :)

Clothing for hiking: I wear nylon hiking shorts, a light merino wool top, wool socks, trail runners, and nylon ball cap. I have a light single layer wind shirt, a rain shell, rain kilt, light fleece hat, and light gloves. In cold weather I'll add a Capilene 4 pullover and swap the rain kilt for some rain pants.

Clothing for camp: I have long john bottoms, a long sleeve wool top, hiking pants, warm socks for sleeping, a down parka, and warmer hat and gloves (since the others may be very wet). I clean up a little, put on the dry clothing, and hang up the wet stuff to air dry a little. In the morning, I pack away my nice clean warm dry clothing with my sleeping bag, then put on the wet, nasty hiking clothes and hit the trail. (It's only miserable for a few minutes, seriously.) If the clothing is likely to freeze overnight, I'll bring it inside my bag unless it's very wet.

As noted above, all of this works for me, and may not work for you. Good luck with the planning and the hike. The last fella I met on the trail from down your way came to Neels Gap and bought all his gear, went out for an overnight with one of the staff members to learn how to use it, then did a thru-hike (and completed it, as far as I know). The store at Neels Gap is set up specifically for long distance hikers, and has everything you'd need plus great staff to help.

Zman
06-24-2016, 12:21
I am glad you had mentioned to try it in my backyard this winter. That is exactly what I thought I would do. Wait for a couple of cold nights and see how that feels. Thank you

CarlZ993
06-24-2016, 17:13
I've been using down bags for 20+ yrs. I've always managed to keep them from getting wet. My current strategy is to put my bag in a lightweight roll-top stuff sack (Sea to Summit Ultra-sil). I also line my backpack with a trash COMPACTOR bag (not 'contractor' bag; that's different). I put everything I don't want wet or damp in the compactor bag and roll up the extra bag into a tail, fold it over, & use a rubber band or bungee to keep if from opening. With the water-proof stuff sack & the compactor bag, my bag is safe.

If you only can afford one bag, I'd go w/ a 20 deg. In warmer weather, just unzip in completely & drape it over you like a quilt. In colder weather, wear more clothes and/or use a bag liner.

p.s. I like your signature (Zman). That was my trail name on the AT in 2013. Happy trails!!

rocketsocks
06-24-2016, 17:29
One of my bags is down on top and synthetic on the bottom.

mattjv89
06-24-2016, 22:42
What time of year were you thinking of when saying a 15 degree bag is best? I was on Springer March 26 and a 15 would have been overkill for what I experienced, not so much a month prior. I always use down and most I've met on the trail do too. Lighter and longer lasting than synthetic are big advantages for me. There's a lot of fear about down bags getting wet but in most conditions they can be exposed to a lot of moisture before the down begins to lose significant loft. I mean you still don't want to drop it in a lake but typical moisture sources like condensation or rain splatter in a tent are not likely to be a problem. Keep it double waterproofed in your pack along with the rest of your sleep clothes and it'll be fine hiking in the rain.

What I wear in cold rain depends on how cold. Always a short sleeve merino shirt with a rain shell on top, and a fleece in the middle if it's cold enough. I use a rain kilt instead of rain pants, great ventilation and a fraction of the cost/weight of most rain pants. Diminished performance in high wind is the only drawback I've experienced.

Bronk
06-25-2016, 10:23
I am comfortable down to about zero degrees with the following:

polyester boxer shorts
nylon jogging pants
synthetic tshirt
long sleeve fleece shirt
fleece vest
rain jacket
knit cap

If you are hiking on the AT in the spring, down is a bad idea. Just about everything you own will be wet or damp most of the time and down doesn't work when its wet.

Zman
06-25-2016, 11:14
Thanks for your input. Zman derived from my last name which is Zinn

lonehiker
06-25-2016, 11:20
If you are hiking on the AT in the spring, down is a bad idea. Just about everything you own will be wet or damp most of the time and down doesn't work when its wet.

A down jacket is a requirement for all prospective thru-hiker clones...

MuddyWaters
06-25-2016, 12:55

Fleece is of course king for damp cool conditions. Its cheap, doesnt absorb water, and dries quickly.
Synthetic puffies are expensive, will absorb water, and dry slowly.

Down should be considered only supplemental for camp