PDA

View Full Version : What are LD hiking options in the U.S. during winter time?

Rybir
06-24-2016, 14:34
I have the goal of hiking the Sierras in late summer. Specifically Tahoe up to Crater Lake on the PCT. Training, research, etc has been part of my daily and I am still very committed to this

However, due to some medical setbacks I may not be able to start hiking until mid September-October range.

Being in the Sierras during October may not be the best situation. And if I go up into the Klamaths even later into November, that may not be the best choice either...

Does anyone have any ideas of doing an alternative 2-3 month hike during the months of possibly September-November that is in the continental U.S.?

As always much appreciated WB!

SteelCut
06-24-2016, 14:38
Being that you are on the East coast, I would suggest the AT and doing Harper's Ferry to Springer Mountain, GA as a viable option. Or perhaps the a SOBO on the Florida Trail ??

Uriah
06-24-2016, 14:38
The Hayduke, the Arizona Trail, the Florida Trail, to name a few.

Rybir
06-24-2016, 14:40
Being that you are on the East coast, I would suggest the AT and doing Harper's Ferry to Springer Mountain, GA as a viable option. Or perhaps the a SOBO on the Florida Trail ??

The only thing is one of my primary purposes of the hike is solitude. I originally was set on the AT and realized the sociable nature of the trail (which is awesome if that's what you're looking for.) Also I want to be more so camping with my tent.

SteelCut
06-24-2016, 14:48
The only thing is one of my primary purposes of the hike is solitude. I originally was set on the AT and realized the sociable nature of the trail (which is awesome if that's what you're looking for.) Also I want to be more so camping with my tent.

Whatever dude.

Rybir
06-24-2016, 14:54
Whatever dude.

Haha, whatever to you too my dude!

Rybir
06-24-2016, 14:55

But yes, Florida Trail could be okay too, except I am pretty dang familiar with Florida nature. Would be cool to experience something new. But good recs

CalebJ
06-24-2016, 15:10
The AT in the winter is relatively solitary, particularly during the week. You'll see people here and there on the weekends, but not that many except in the busiest areas like Mt. Rogers, GSMNP, etc. Also, you can always camp with your tent except for the smokies.

ki0eh
06-24-2016, 15:21
September-October would be a fairly good time to hike PA's Mid State Trail and neighboring paths also part of Great Eastern Trail. MST has one (to four, depending on what you count) shelter in 525 km. The connecting Crystal Hills Trail has 2 lean-tos in ~45 miles. The connecting Standing Stone Trail has only one shelter in ~80 miles. Pretty much all of these would be nearly deserted except for a few day hikers and those only in very few locations.

ki0eh
06-24-2016, 15:24
November might be good to hike Ozark Highlands Trail or Pinhoti Trail although I would guess (as in PA) much fluorescent orange is needed.

Rybir
06-24-2016, 15:27
The AT in the winter is relatively solitary, particularly during the week. You'll see people here and there on the weekends, but not that many except in the busiest areas like Mt. Rogers, GSMNP, etc. Also, you can always camp with your tent except for the smokies.

Great to know. Thank you!

Shutterbug
06-24-2016, 16:18

If solitude is a "primary purpose" the Arizona Trail should work for you. Hike it southbound because it is still pretty hot in southern Arizona in September. On the Arizona trail you may hike for days without seeing anyone.

Venchka
06-24-2016, 16:22
September 1. CDT. SOBO from Silverton, CO. It may, or may not, take 2 months to get to the border.
I plan to be in the neighborhood. Wave when you go by.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Rybir
06-24-2016, 16:22
If solitude is a "primary purpose" the Arizona Trail should work for you. Hike it southbound because it is still pretty hot in southern Arizona in September. On the Arizona trail you may hike for days without seeing anyone.

That sounds wonderful.

I am a first time LD hiker. Water source and resupply points definitely seem to be more sparse. But with enough research I am sure I can do it.

fiddlehead
06-24-2016, 19:42
+1 on Arizona Trail.
You'll never forget it (in a good way)

jefals
06-24-2016, 19:49
I did the southern section of PCT last November, and i think im going back again this November. It's a good time of year for that.

Rybir
06-24-2016, 20:25
+1 on Arizona Trail.
You'll never forget it (in a good way)

This Arizona Trail is looking more and more appealing. Almost like you have the whole trail to yourself. Is it okay for a first time hiker though? Or a little bit on the challenging side?

Venchka
06-24-2016, 22:20
The nice thing about September and October in the west is the lack of crowds after Labor Day.
For a first timer, the CDT may be an easier logistical solution. Maybe. Good luck.
Wayne

Venchka
06-24-2016, 22:28
Have you read this?
http://www.guthookhikes.com/?s=Arizona+&submit=Search
Wayne

saltysack
06-25-2016, 09:12
October thru the winter is my fav time in the souther AT....usually you have it mostly to yourself....the sobo from Harper's founds like a good plan to me...easy 3 month hike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rybir
06-25-2016, 09:38
The nice thing about September and October in the west is the lack of crowds after Labor Day.
For a first timer, the CDT may be an easier logistical solution. Maybe. Good luck.
Wayne

Oh man, from my research it seems the CDT is the big kahuna of the country. Much experience needed. Maybe I am wrong

Rybir
06-25-2016, 09:47
Have you read this?
http://www.guthookhikes.com/?s=Arizona+&submit=Search
Wayne

I did now! Positives I take away: there is an established Guthooks GPS map for smartphone. Solitude is of the utmost. And it seems absolutely beautiful. Other take aways: some have claimed this is harder than any Triple Crown Trail...

MamaBear
06-25-2016, 10:06
How about the Benton MacKaye Trail? Similar territory to the AT, but much quieter.

Rybir
06-25-2016, 10:51
How about the Benton MacKaye Trail? Similar territory to the AT, but much quieter.

That's a great suggestion but I guess I should've mentioned my goal is to be out on a trail for 60 days. 300 miles would probably not be too suitable for this. But good suggestion nonetheless!

Shutterbug
06-25-2016, 12:34
This Arizona Trail is looking more and more appealing. Almost like you have the whole trail to yourself. Is it okay for a first time hiker though? Or a little bit on the challenging side?

I have not done the entire Arizona Trail, but have done several parts. Like you said, the "challenging side" is making sure you carry enough water. Those who get in trouble on the Arizona trail do so for lack of water.

Venchka
06-25-2016, 20:18
Oh man, from my research it seems the CDT is the big kahuna of the country. Much experience needed. Maybe I am wrong

Yes. Of course. One can not hike the CDT until after you have paid your dues on the AT and PCT. Right. For a thru hike, perhaps. For 2 months, not so much.
Naturally, Guthook has an app for that.
On second thought, the Internet myth is correct. The trail will remain uncrowded while everyone follows the conventional wisdom.
Wayne

colorado_rob
06-25-2016, 20:48
I skipped over this thread because you said "winter time".... September-November sure ain't winter, but as has already been implied, it's the perfect time of year to spend in the Southwest USA, southern Utah & Arizona in particular. As has been said, yep, do that AZ trail! I sure am planning on it. Or, hit the CDT southbound, starting in the San Juans of Colorado in September, perfect time of year. Or the desert portion of the PCT, all good stuff. Heck, start at a convenient place in the sierras and head south, snow and cold is not usually an issue until mid-late October, just stay flexible on your starting point if they get an early dump (same advice if you do a CDT section starting in Colorado).

Best hiking time of the year, hands down, IMO, here out west.

Venchka
06-25-2016, 22:18
Post #13 and #27. San Juan mountains SOBO.
Rob knows.
Wayne

~Dynamite~
06-26-2016, 01:30
Lone Star Trail

http://lonestartrail.org/

garlic08
06-26-2016, 07:40
A first-timer on the AZT should count on spending substantial extra time, money and effort on logistics, mainly placing water caches by car--preferably with high clearance and AWD. If you don't or can't do this, you should be experienced in desert hiking, including up to 40-mile water carries.

Travel to the termini is more difficult/expensive than with some other trails.

That is the perfect time frame for a SOBO AZT hike, and the solitude quotient is very high most of the way.

perrymk
06-26-2016, 07:51
It might not be long enough but perhaps consider the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama and Georgia.

MuddyWaters
06-26-2016, 08:35
Just pointing out the AT and PCT have been winter hiked.

99.9% of us are 3 season hikers. But that 4th has a lot to offer. Just takes another gear set, and mindset. A little experience and common sense dont hurt either.

Venchka
06-26-2016, 11:30
Lone Star Trail

http://lonestartrail.org/

Not for 60 days. Not unless it dries out one of these years. Not until they get a bridge over the river.
Wayne

Slo-go'en
06-26-2016, 12:48
Damascus to Springer would be a good Sept-Nov hike. As a novice LD hiker, the AT offers the advantage of being logistically easy with many points to resupply or to bail out and go home from if something goes wrong or the reality doesn't match up with the fantasy. You can tent as much as you want (but will quickly discover the value of the shelters on rainy nights). You won't be totally alone, but you can find as much solitude as you want and while there will likely be others at the shelter or campsites at night, you'll probably find yourself alone many times.

nsherry61
06-26-2016, 14:39
I haven't seen the Oregon Desert Trail mentioned yet. It would also be fine in late fall/early winter.

Rybir
06-26-2016, 14:45
I haven't seen the Oregon Desert Trail mentioned yet. It would also be fine in late fall/early winter.

Wow, this look awesome. Never knew high desert was a thing.

Venchka
06-26-2016, 15:11
I gotta ask...
What's wrong with your original plan starting on September 1? Possibly reversing directions? California and Oregon won't suddenly become buried under several feet of snow on September 1. Or even November 1.
A curious mind wants to know.
Wayne

Rybir
06-26-2016, 15:21
I gotta ask...
What's wrong with your original plan starting on September 1? Possibly reversing directions? California and Oregon won't suddenly become buried under several feet of snow on September 1. Or even November 1.
A curious mind wants to know.
Wayne

Happy you bring this up, but I was under the impression once October hits the chance of snow storms arrive in the Sierras and north. Otherwise, I would love to stick to the original plan if I am medically released by September. (was in a car accident last December)

Venchka
06-26-2016, 17:35
There's early 1-6 snow that is here today and gone tomorrow and much easier to contend with. Then there are 1-3 feet snowfalls that are a bit less pleasant.
Do some homework. Look at snowfall on both ends. Make your own decision.
Wayne

Venchka
06-26-2016, 17:51
Should be 1-6 INCH snowfall.
Personally, but I've never seen the west coast mountains in October, I don't think snow in October would be a problem. Sure, it can snow in any month, but I have never been bothered by snowfall from July to October. It happens, just like rain, and it's over and you move on.
Wayne

Connie
06-26-2016, 20:09
You might consider putting together 60-days hike on the Pacific Northwest Trail..
They have trail section GPS and there is a PNT forum.
Tell your preferences: little or no road-walk, availability of water, scenic.

Rybir
06-26-2016, 21:47
You might consider putting together 60-days hike on the Pacific Northwest Trail..

Preferences:

1. Solitude
2. Less Road
3. Water availibility would help. Definitely won't be caching. And just would be nice to not stress too much about water, but I am confident I can prep accordingly. So not deal breaker.
4. Scenic would be great, but not something I need to be attached too.
5. Something out West just for diversity. I have only been to San Francisco and didn't see too much nature.

I already have a Stratospire 1 (shout out to Henry Shires. He has answered his phone twice on the first call and helped me. Awesome customer service)

I already have a Zpacks 20 degree solo bag. Also great customer service. The got me the back a month early.

Venchka
06-26-2016, 22:11
Truth be known, September and October are perfectly fine for hiking virtually anywhere in North America. In a one in a million freaky weather year you might get weather to bad for hiking near the end of October. No big deal.
Wayne

Rybir
06-27-2016, 00:12
Truth be known, September and October are perfectly fine for hiking virtually anywhere in North America. In a one in a million freaky weather year you might get weather to bad for hiking near the end of October. No big deal.
Wayne

Well this is inspiring. Maybe I can stick to Tahoe to Crater Lake like planned. But of course all up to how the body heals.

Venchka
06-27-2016, 20:04
Well this is inspiring. Maybe I can stick to Tahoe to Crater Lake like planned. But of course all up to how the body heals.

Good luck with the healing process. I know that can get tedious and you want to be well Now!
I also mentioned possibly reversing direction. Both Crater Lake and Lassen National Parks will have a ton of weather data on record. The Lake Tahoe area as well Contact them directly and get an idea of what the last half of October is like. Coming from Florida, you might think that all snow is lethal. Not so. 3"-6" snow events may happen in October. They can be beautiful and melt away in a day or two. Just more adventure.
Based on your weather research, plan to finish on the end with the best weather the last half of October.
Just a hunch and a guess. Lake Tahoe. I'm probably wrong.
Wayne

Rybir
06-27-2016, 20:04
Anyone have experience in southern Oregon during mid to late October. I see average snowfall is 21 inches for the month.

Temps 30 to 50 degrees.

colorado_rob
06-27-2016, 20:08
Anyone have experience in southern Oregon during mid to late October. I see average snowfall is 21 inches for the month.

Temps 30 to 50 degrees.I'd absolutely stay away from the PAC NW that time of year.

Stay south, young man! Lots of options already mentioned, start somewhere in the middle (north/south-wise), like in the Sierra (on the PCT) or southern Colorado (on the CDT) and head south. Daylight is also a factor; the days will be mighty short up north come October/November, couple hours longer in the southern US. Basically: Hike with autumn! (much like the AT is "hiking with spring").

Rybir
06-27-2016, 20:11
Good luck with the healing process. I know that can get tedious and you want to be well Now!
I also mentioned possibly reversing direction. Both Crater Lake and Lassen National Parks will have a ton of weather data on record. The Lake Tahoe area as well Contact them directly and get an idea of what the last half of October is like. Coming from Florida, you might think that all snow is lethal. Not so. 3"-6" snow events may happen in October. They can be beautiful and melt away in a day or two. Just more adventure.
Based on your weather research, plan to finish on the end with the best weather the last half of October.
Just a hunch and a guess. Lake Tahoe. I'm probably wrong.
Wayne

Good info Wayne. I'll look into it. And thanks for the sympathy haha. Just had hand surgery today. Should be the last!

Rybir
06-28-2016, 18:32
Good to hear. Now November is a different story right?

Rybir
06-28-2016, 18:34
I'd absolutely stay away from the PAC NW that time of year.

Stay south, young man! Lots of options already mentioned, start somewhere in the middle (north/south-wise), like in the Sierra (on the PCT) or southern Colorado (on the CDT) and head south. Daylight is also a factor; the days will be mighty short up north come October/November, couple hours longer in the southern US. Basically: Hike with autumn! (much like the AT is "hiking with spring").

Oh man good point on day light. Reversing directions now becomes relevant.

Venchka
06-29-2016, 08:18
Oh man good point on day light. Reversing directions now becomes relevant.

15-20 minutes difference. Might be noticed. Might not. Early heavy snow would be noticed. Confirm late October weather with the park staff.
Good luck.
Wayne

colorado_rob
06-29-2016, 08:32
15-20 minutes difference. Might be noticed. Might not. Early heavy snow would be noticed. Confirm late October weather with the park staff.
Good luck.
For mid-November, the difference between Washington and AZ is over an hour of daylight. But yeah, the snow/cold is much more of a factor.

Rybir
06-29-2016, 12:49
For mid-November, the difference between Washington and AZ is over an hour of daylight. But yeah, the snow/cold is much more of a factor.

If all goes well I can get out to Crater lake early September, and work my way down through the Sierras working with autumn.

colorado_rob
06-29-2016, 13:56
Sounds good. Giver 'er a go. If you hit early lousy weather in the Sierra (say, mid-late October), just skip down to lower elevations and south of there and continue on. I might be hitting a big section of the southern PCT this fall myself.

Venchka
06-29-2016, 14:20
If all goes well I can get out to Crater lake early September, and work my way down through the Sierras working with autumn.
If it were me, and it's not, I would hit the trail in Crater Lake, NP September 1.
Wish I could be there, but I have plans to be goofing off around Highland Mary Lakes, the CDT and Chicago Basin at the same time.
Get well soon. Have a great hike.
Wayne

Rybir
06-29-2016, 14:55
If it were me, and it's not, I would hit the trail in Crater Lake, NP September 1.
Wish I could be there, but I have plans to be goofing off around Highland Mary Lakes, the CDT and Chicago Basin at the same time.
Get well soon. Have a great hike.
Wayne

Thanks man. Likewise to you too. I'm sure the CDT will be spectacular.

Rybir
06-29-2016, 14:56
Sounds good. Giver 'er a go. If you hit early lousy weather in the Sierra (say, mid-late October), just skip down to lower elevations and south of there and continue on. I might be hitting a big section of the southern PCT this fall myself.

Definitely a solid plan. Let me ask: think a Zpacks 20 degree solo bag will do well for this hike?

Rybir
06-29-2016, 15:16
I ask cause I was thinking maybe a 10 degree could fair better

colorado_rob
06-29-2016, 15:29
Definitely a solid plan. Let me ask: think a Zpacks 20 degree solo bag will do well for this hike?I'd be taking my Katabatic gear 23 deg rated bag, your solid 20 should do great.

Rybir
06-29-2016, 15:42
I'd be taking my Katabatic gear 23 deg rated bag, your solid 20 should do great.

Woohoo.. Zpacks ftw

Venchka
06-29-2016, 16:28
Definitely a solid plan. Let me ask: think a Zpacks 20 degree solo bag will do well for this hike?

To each his own. I will be using my WM Alpinlite in the San Juan mountains. I bought it specifically for trips like the one I have planned. Any later and I would use my WM Antelope for near winter trips. My friend who is going with me has a ZPacks 20. We'll see if it works as well.
Wayne

Dogwood
06-29-2016, 16:54

That's a great suggestion but I guess I should've mentioned my goal is to be out on a trail for 60 days. 300 miles would probably not be too suitable for this. But good suggestion nonetheless!

You're showing little effort researching appropriate hikes for your agenda that many have suggested. Here again you're getting caught up in only a named trail/named hike. With marginal research effort one would quickly realize trails like the BMT can be incorporated in whole or in part with other trails. For example the BMT/AT loop is 520+ miles. Another example is thru-hiking the Pinhoti Tr to the BMT junction and doing the BMT to Springer Mt or to GSMNP on the AT for a much longer than 300 mile hike. So many long legged lollipop type hikes to pick from. Good time to experience hiking these trails between Sept-Nov.

Dogwood
06-29-2016, 16:58

NO WAY would I be suggesting 60 days on the PNT for Rybir in Sept-Nov. This is one of the most difficult route finding LD trails in the U.S. in some of it's sections. Plus MUCH of it's REMOTE.

Dogwood
06-29-2016, 17:04
A first-timer on the AZT should count on spending substantial extra time, money and effort on logistics, mainly placing water caches by car--preferably with high clearance and AWD. If you don't or can't do this, you should be experienced in desert hiking, including up to 40-mile water carries.

Travel to the termini is more difficult/expensive than with some other trails.

That is the perfect time frame for a SOBO AZT hike, and the solitude quotient is very high most of the way.

And, dare I submit, that's not likely to happen in the OP's situation. Rybir can get everything he/she wants much closer to home for his/her first LD hike attempt. Besides, he's still all over the place having yet not narrowed it down to even a region of the U.S. he will hike. Seems much more still in the let's talk about it phase rather than making more exact plans.

Rybir
06-29-2016, 17:14
And, dare I submit, that's not likely to happen in the OP's situation. Rybir can get everything he/she wants much closer to home for his/her first LD hike attempt. Besides, he's still all over the place having yet not narrowed it down to even a region of the U.S. he will hike. Seems much more still in the let's talk about it phase rather than making more exact plans.

I see where you're coming from. Especially because it was only touched upon briefly. But I just had a suprise 3rd surgery on my hand resulting from a pretty bad car accident last December. Recovery keeps getting pushed back as Im in a purgatorial medical case kinda thing. I 100 percent was settled on Tahoe to Crater Lake with a late July start. But things change and I have had to remain flexible through all the planning phases.

Rybir
06-29-2016, 17:18
My goals are still all consistent:

1. 60 days
2. Solitude is high priority
3. Not the Eastcoast. I have an opportunity to see a landscape I have never experienced in the PCT, AZT, or other Western trails.

Venchka
06-29-2016, 19:41
The hiking part is easy. You have a viable window in September and October assuming you're smart about the section and direction you choose.
The tricky bits are transportation to/from the hike. You really need to know how to get to the trail and back. Another potential hike ruining possibility is seasonal closings of critical resupply locations. Know where you will need food and fuel and verify with the vendors that they will be there when you get there.
Every day in September that you aren't hiking could bite you in October.
Wayne

Rybir
06-30-2016, 09:48
The hiking part is easy. You have a viable window in September and October assuming you're smart about the section and direction you choose.
The tricky bits are transportation to/from the hike. You really need to know how to get to the trail and back. Another potential hike ruining possibility is seasonal closings of critical resupply locations. Know where you will need food and fuel and verify with the vendors that they will be there when you get there.
Every day in September that you aren't hiking could bite you in October.
Wayne

Anyone have knowledge of availability of resupply towns in the Sierras in October?

Venchka
06-30-2016, 13:16
Anyone have knowledge of availability of resupply towns in the Sierras in October?

The results of about 10 seconds searching the web:
http://planyourhike.com/planning/resupplypoints.php
Time for you to do some homework.
Wayne

Rybir
06-30-2016, 17:14
The results of about 10 seconds searching the web:
http://planyourhike.com/planning/resupplypoints.php
Time for you to do some homework.
Wayne

Awesome. Thank you

Venchka
06-30-2016, 18:36
You're welcome.
You should be looking for and finding this type of information. "pct resupply" is all it took. I'm surprised you haven't looked at the PCT planning information.
Wayne

Rybir
06-30-2016, 22:45
You're welcome.
You should be looking for and finding this type of information. "pct resupply" is all it took. I'm surprised you haven't looked at the PCT planning information.
Wayne

I've done a lot on craigs pct planner in the beginning stages. But then hit this setback and was faced with a wave of discouragement. Now moving out of that. This hike will be that much better with all that has gone down before it.