PDA

View Full Version : SNP Bear

Odd Man Out
06-24-2016, 21:39
Just got back from my three day, 40 mile section at SNP. While hiking down to Thronton Gap (SOBO), about 5 minutes before the first road crossing (Skyline Drive), I come around a corner and see this guy (fairly close, maybe 20 yards up the trail). He was sitting right in the middle of the trail, looking very mellow. Occasionally he would look around or stick his nose straight up in the air, but mostly he just sat there and stared at me. I talked to him, waved my arms a bit, but nothing seemed to concern him. So after a couple of minutes, I figured my only recourse was to bushwack around him. Fortunately this was in a spot where to ground was relatively flat and the forest relatively open, so it wasn't too hard to get around, although it was a bit tricky picking your way around trees and rocks and keeping your eye on the bear at the same time. I eventually emerged onto the trail about the same distance on the other side. His butt never once left the ground. I got a few more pictures, and walked on.

Venchka
06-24-2016, 22:03
The day that Jennifer Pharr Davis hiked through SNP she counted 36 bears.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Odd Man Out
06-24-2016, 22:10
The day that Jennifer Pharr Davis hiked through SNP she counted 36 bears.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

I know bear sightings in SNP are common, but I never had one pose for pictures before. Mostly I just see a butt running away before I can get my camera out.

Sarcasm the elf
06-24-2016, 22:11
HEY! You get that bear on a leash, don't you know the rules! :D

(Nice photo by the way!)

GoldenBear
06-24-2016, 23:26
When I mention that I hike alone on the A.T, a large fraction of people ask, "Aren't you worried about bears?" My response is, "Yes -- they always run away even before I get my camera out of my carrying case." I know this isn't exactly HOW you'd like to get such a good bear photo (indeed, neither would I!), but I congratulate you on how well you handled the situation. Primarily, of course, in remembering to get a photo!

GoldenBear
06-24-2016, 23:38
> I never had one pose for pictures before

I hate to suggest this, but if this bear had been fed by on the A.T. just ONE TIME, it might well decide that the easiest way to get food is to just sit on The Trail and wait for another snack from a hiker. Bears SHOULD and DO run away as soon as they detect people. The fact that this one didn't means it MIGHT has unlearned "People = trouble" and has instead learned "People = easy food."

rafe
06-24-2016, 23:45
I know bear sightings in SNP are common, but I never had one pose for pictures before. Mostly I just see a butt running away before I can get my camera out.

Ayup, that happened to me in MA just a couple weeks ago.

I did have a slow, close-up encounter in SNP way back when. That was very cool.

u.w.
06-25-2016, 06:54
Indeed. There's a pile of them up there (SNP). Some areas seem to have a noticeably higher/denser population of them than others.
It's cool you got to see one and get some, or a, great photo & story.

I hope what GoldenBear is saying is not the reason that bear was on the trail, and didn't run when you showed up and talked to him & waved your arms at it...

u.w.

jimmyjam
06-25-2016, 07:13
Nice looking bear. He does look like he's sitting there trying to yogi some food.

bigcranky
06-25-2016, 07:39
It's hot, he doesn't want to move. We had a similar situation last time we hiked in SNP, though the bear was a few yards off the trail. He just didn't want to move at all, so we walked past him, talking the whole time.

You try living in the summer with a thick fur coat :)

August W.
06-25-2016, 14:25
Nice! Thanks for sharing

Odd Man Out
06-25-2016, 16:19
Confirm it was very hot that day. Plus it was around noon. Funny thing is I came up from behind him, so my first pictures were of him looking over his shoulder. He wouldn't even get up to turn around.

MuddyWaters
06-25-2016, 18:03
Not AT, but this one in New Mexico just watched us. No desire to move at all.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/l/t1.0-9/1045048_650424074986251_1821575828_n.jpg?oh=8e84dc 96df63a2091137ad79ecf039f3&oe=57F591B7

GoldenBear
06-25-2016, 19:17
> Confirm it was very hot that day. Plus it was around noon. Funny thing is I came up from behind him,
> so my first pictures were of him looking over his shoulder. He wouldn't even get up to turn around.

That doesn't sound much like a "Yogi" Bear. If it was waiting for a handout from humans, it would have at least turned around when it smelled you -- and it would have smelled you as a human LONG before you saw the bear.
Seems more like one who just found a comfortable place to sit on a hot day, and wasn't going to move no matter what.

Deer Hunter
06-25-2016, 20:22
Saw four there last weekend. Two in the woods and two on the road. One didn't hang around for pictures. Heading back up there the weekend of July 16th.

35314 35315 35316

scudder
06-26-2016, 07:30
I saw one yesterday at the junction of turk mt trail and the AT, and another one on the front porch earlier this week.

Studlintsean
06-26-2016, 18:22
Bear sightings are super common in SNP and I've had something similar happen to me between Thornton Gap and Pass Mountain Hut. You should check the SNP Hikers page for some great pictures. Awesome pic man.

Lnj
06-27-2016, 13:34
Just got back from my three day, 40 mile section at SNP. While hiking down to Thronton Gap (SOBO), about 5 minutes before the first road crossing (Skyline Drive), I come around a corner and see this guy (fairly close, maybe 20 yards up the trail). He was sitting right in the middle of the trail, looking very mellow. Occasionally he would look around or stick his nose straight up in the air, but mostly he just sat there and stared at me. I talked to him, waved my arms a bit, but nothing seemed to concern him. So after a couple of minutes, I figured my only recourse was to bushwack around him. Fortunately this was in a spot where to ground was relatively flat and the forest relatively open, so it wasn't too hard to get around, although it was a bit tricky picking your way around trees and rocks and keeping your eye on the bear at the same time. I eventually emerged onto the trail about the same distance on the other side. His butt never once left the ground. I got a few more pictures, and walked on.

He/She is so cute!!! I am not an idiot and would never attempt to touch or approach, but he looks like a teddy bear sitting there. Yes... I know he isn't. He will eat people. He just doesn't LOOK it in the photo.

ATBuddy
08-12-2016, 01:07

Did you have bear spray with you?

ATBuddy
08-21-2016, 16:25

That was a serious question...

Odd Man Out
08-21-2016, 20:09

Sorry for the delay. Did not see your question. The answer is no I did not have bear spray.

MkBibble
08-23-2016, 14:34
Great Picture!

FatMan
08-23-2016, 18:45
What a beautiful bear. I have seen many but usually just their rear ends as they are running away.

colorado_rob
08-23-2016, 18:51
I have seen many but usually just their rear ends as they are running away.True this!!! I saw a total of 11 bears in three days in SNP, never got a shot off of anything but bear butts.

Odd Man Out
08-23-2016, 20:07
This guy just sat there for 10 minutes and said "I'm ready for my close up".