PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Hiking Suggestions for Day 2 at Roan Mountain State Park

gravysandwich
06-24-2016, 23:07
I am staying at Roan Mountain State Park next week. On Tuesday, I am hiking Roan Bald to 19E. I would like to fill Wednesday up with some hiking, but don't really want to repeat the Tuesday hike. Is the Iron Mountain Gap to Hughes Gap hike interesting? And if I can't buddy up on a shuttle, is it worth $40-$50? Or, should I just hike some of the trails in the state park? They sound kind of fun and very pretty. It doesn't look like the AT directly above 19E is all that special.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Gravysandwich

Whack-a-mole
06-25-2016, 12:55
The views from Jane Bald are incredible, but the summertime haze may cut that down a little. One of the few places on the east coast over 6000' that you have a 360 degree view.

illabelle
06-25-2016, 15:53
I am staying at Roan Mountain State Park next week. On Tuesday, I am hiking Roan Bald to 19E. I would like to fill Wednesday up with some hiking, but don't really want to repeat the Tuesday hike. Is the Iron Mountain Gap to Hughes Gap hike interesting? And if I can't buddy up on a shuttle, is it worth $40-$50? Or, should I just hike some of the trails in the state park? They sound kind of fun and very pretty. It doesn't look like the AT directly above 19E is all that special.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Gravysandwich

The AT from Carver's Gap northward is absoLUTEly special! Drive up from the park on 143 to Carver's Gap at the state line. Get there early for a parking spot. Hike north on the AT. Round Bald and Jane Bald are very nice. But continue on. Just beyond Jane Bald is a side trail to Grassy Ridge, only about a mile. The rhododendron are past their prime, but only by a week or so, and should still be very colorful. This area is one of the most special parts of the entire AT!

gravysandwich
06-26-2016, 13:37
Thanks for your replies. I should be able to take in Jane Bald and Round Bald on the Tuesday hike (Roan Bald to 19E). I guess what I am trying to find out is whether there is a section on the other side of 19E/Elk Park that might be fun to do.

gravysandwich
06-26-2016, 13:41
Roan High Knob, sorry.

la.lindsey
06-26-2016, 22:33
Flame azaleas are still blooming; rhodos are mostly gone, except just south of Roan High Knob (start at Hughes Gap).

Source: I did that section last weekend and this weekend. Huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleRock
06-27-2016, 07:59
Thanks for your replies. I should be able to take in Jane Bald and Round Bald on the Tuesday hike (Roan Bald to 19E). I guess what I am trying to find out is whether there is a section on the other side of 19E/Elk Park that might be fun to do.

Maybe Dennis Cove Rd to Wilbur Dam Rd? Laurel Falls and Watauga Lake are in that section, although there's also a pretty tough and completely viewless 2000' climb over Pond Mtn in between.

golfjhm
06-27-2016, 14:54
Could park at Hughes Gap and do out and back to Clyde Smith Shelter (AT South) - short drive from the State Park. Little Rock Knob between HG & CSS has a pretty nice view, but will be a let down after doing Carvers Gap to 19E (some of the best views on AT). Nothing overly special between Iron Mtn Gap and there CSS - especially with foliage on the trees. That or explore Cloudland and Rhodo Gardens on top of Roan.

gravysandwich
07-02-2016, 22:42
Well, as it turns out, I got a bit of a late start on Wednesday, and didn't begin hiking from Roan High Knob until around 11:00 AM. So... I had to walk like a man possessed to get to 19E before nightfall. I managed to get off the trail by around 8:30, just as it was getting dark. I enjoyed the hike, but was moving so fast that I didn't have time to really enjoy the scenery, which was truly gorgeous. I wasn't crazy about the descent from Hump, especially the last 3 miles, which was really craggy and rocky. Better to do it over 2 days, I think.

Anyhow, I was whipped after my 16+ miles, so on Thursday I decided to ride over to Mt. Airy and do an Andy Griffith Show/Mayberry pilgrimage. That was fun, too.

I shuttled with Mountain Harbour on Wednesday morning. Shannon was my driver and got me there in good shape. Thanks to all who offered day 2 suggestions. I will keep them in mind for future hikes.

JumpMaster Blaster
07-03-2016, 00:47
Well, as it turns out, I got a bit of a late start on Wednesday, and didn't begin hiking from Roan High Knob until around 11:00 AM. So... I had to walk like a man possessed to get to 19E before nightfall. I managed to get off the trail by around 8:30, just as it was getting dark. I enjoyed the hike, but was moving so fast that I didn't have time to really enjoy the scenery, which was truly gorgeous. I wasn't crazy about the descent from Hump, especially the last 3 miles, which was really craggy and rocky. Better to do it over 2 days, I think.

Anyhow, I was whipped after my 16+ miles, so on Thursday I decided to ride over to Mt. Airy and do an Andy Griffith Show/Mayberry pilgrimage. That was fun, too.

I shuttled with Mountain Harbour on Wednesday morning. Shannon was my driver and got me there in good shape. Thanks to all who offered day 2 suggestions. I will keep them in mind for future hikes.

Shannon is great lady.