PDA

View Full Version : Springer Mountain to Neels Gap

savethesoil
06-25-2016, 16:39
So I plan on hiking springer Mountain to Neels gap in late fall. It will be my first section of the AT. I am planning on being there 2 nights and 3 days while camping at (hopefully) sassafras mountain and Lance Creek. Are there any issues camping at these spots and is there decent campsites, especially on sassafras mountain (I know there will not be any shelters at either location and no water on sassafras mountain). Any advice at all will be helpful.

soumodeler
06-25-2016, 16:50
There are a couple of places to set up a tent on Sassafras, but not very big. Get water at Hawk tentsites or shelter area. Fall will be a wonderful time for this section, especially late October when the leaves are changing.

savethesoil
06-25-2016, 16:57
When you say not very big. How tiny are we talking?

savethesoil
06-25-2016, 17:05
Also, what about bears at this time of year? Not really worried just like to know what to expect.

soumodeler
06-25-2016, 20:50
I wouldn't bring a 4 person tent. A 1-2 person will fit just fine. I seem to remember that there are 2 or 3 spots, all fairly close together at the top.

I would not worry about bears. Just hang your food and smellables and you will be fine.

life scout
06-26-2016, 09:30
Make sure to stop at long falls on day one. And remember to get water at hawk shelter area. It could be 7 miles to the next water source. Water is hit and miss in that section.

Temps will be cool to cold we had freezing rail last year early November. In the upper teens at elevation.

savethesoil
06-26-2016, 12:24
Is there a better place anyone would recommend camping other than on sassafras? I want to do most hiking on day 1 and 2 and rather evenly split but just thinking maybe sassafras isn't the best but I don't want to camp at hawk mtn shelter the first night, would like to make it a bit further.

liteweight
06-26-2016, 15:52
Possibly push on to Justus creek the first night. Makes for a big first day though. If I'm not mistaken after climbing out of cooper gap it'll be downhill.

soumodeler
06-26-2016, 16:48
Check out Long Creek Falls for sure. Only a 2 minute walk off trail.

There are excellent places to set up a tent at Justus Creek, which is very doable for day one at 15.4 miles if you are in decent shape with a light pack. Once you get to the top of Justus, it is an easy downhill to Justus Creek.

There are also spots at Cooper Gap (road, so be aware), on top of Justus Mountain, and any random spot you can find. I remember several places between Cooper Gap and Justus Creek where you could set up your tent.

Turk6177
06-26-2016, 19:28
I did the exact same two camping spots during my GA section. Sassafras has no water, and you don't hit water until four miles later at Justice Creek (I think that is the name). I would suggest cameling up at the last water source prior to Sassafrass Mtn. It may also benefit you to eat dinner at the last water source, allowing you to only carry enough water to drink at night, cook breakfast, and make it four miles to the next water in the morning.

savethesoil
06-26-2016, 20:00
Thanks for the advice. Has my gears working on what I wanna do. I think I will push on and make a long day of my first or second day. (Second day wouldn't be a bad long day seeing as how the only thing I have to do is hike that day). I don't thinking camping on top of a mountain in October would be all to warm. Also, I dont have much backpacking experience but would the creeks be cold as well? I have some earth science related knowledge as far as how a thermal pocket can be created in a valley but not sure if anyone has experience of say Justus or Lance Creek being especially cold or something.

soumodeler
06-26-2016, 21:01
You will not be able to tell a big difference from camping near the creeks at that time of year. Depending on the year we have, October may be plenty warm, or it could be freezing.

savethesoil
06-27-2016, 09:21
Gotcha, thanks. So think my best bet is to camp not a mountain and I guess knowing there are plenty camping spots is good to know, I don't have to stay at a shelter so I guess I'll make it as far as I can then pitch tent. Again thanks guys!

MinaSauk
07-06-2016, 20:42
Just north of Hawk Mtn the trail crosses a creek. It had good flow and several hikers were filling up when I got there. That was in March.

FatMan
07-07-2016, 09:17
There is plenty of area to camp on Sassafras. Lots of flat area and in late fall most of the ground cover will be gone so you will be able to pitch a tent most anywhere and not have to worry about getting one of the three established sites. Get your water at the Hawk Mtn Shelter. The water at the new Hawk tent pads is a long way off the trail.

Don't worry about bears...it is hunting season. Wear some blaze orange.

Late fall is a long way off but water may very well be an issue this year. Unless we get some serious rainfall in July and August I am betting many springs will be dry by mid August. So by fall only the most reliable springs will be running. Be sure to check in here to get the most current update on both weather and water.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-11-2016, 12:30
If I can grab some info here for myself, I'd like to know the following:

Who's the best shuttler to call to get from Neel Gap to Springer? (cost estimate would be great too)

How far off the trail are the Hawk Mtn. tentsites?

Does Wolfpen Hostel pick up and deliver .... shuttle-wise ... to Woody Gap?

How far off the trail is Woods Hole Shelter?

How have you been Fatman and will I get to meet you this October? :)

soumodeler
07-11-2016, 12:51
If I can grab some info here for myself, I'd like to know the following:

Who's the best shuttler to call to get from Neel Gap to Springer? (cost estimate would be great too)

How far off the trail are the Hawk Mtn. tentsites?

Does Wolfpen Hostel pick up and deliver .... shuttle-wise ... to Woody Gap?

How far off the trail is Woods Hole Shelter?

How have you been Fatman and will I get to meet you this October? :)

call Ron Brown. Best guy in GA. 706-636-2825

i shuttled Neel to Amicalola for $80 last year. Springer may be more due to forest service representative roads.

The hawk tentsites are up to half a mile off the trail.

Wolfpen will pickup sometimes. It's an easy hitch if not.

Woods Hole is .5 off trail

Teacher & Snacktime
07-11-2016, 13:54
call Ron Brown. Best guy in GA. 706-636-2825

i shuttled Neel to Amicalola for $80 last year. Springer may be more due to forest service representative roads.

The hawk tentsites are up to half a mile off the trail.

Wolfpen will pickup sometimes. It's an easy hitch if not.

Woods Hole is .5 off trail

Cool, I had most of this info right then. Thanks. I believe it's only 2-3 miles to Wolfpen if we had to hoof it. (There are 4 of us, and one a child, so we won't be hitching.)

NOTE: JUST CALLED RON.....WOW, THAT WAS EASY :)

soumodeler
07-11-2016, 15:05
It is 2 miles to Suches and the Wolfpen Hostel. Call them from Woody Gap and see if someone can come and get you- it really depends on how many people are working at the store and how busy they are. I have had them call a local trail angel for me that came and picked us up.

As for hitching, I understand the reluctance, but even with a child, I would not think twice about it on that road. The only real reason I would not hitch is you may have a truck stop that doesn't have a seat belt for the child.

---

I just reread my above post. I have no clue why my iPad decided to add representative after the word service... bad Siri!

MoodyBluer
07-12-2016, 17:17
Enjoy your hike, but with a child you really should camel up with water before you start up Sassafras, down the other side and then up Justus Mtn. Very rugged up and down there that will have you repeatedly calling out God's name. Once past Justus Mtn things get much better terrain wise.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-12-2016, 17:33
Enjoy your hike, but with a child you really should camel up with water before you start up Sassafras, down the other side and then up Justus Mtn. Very rugged up and down there that will have you repeatedly calling out God's name. Once past Justus Mtn things get much better terrain wise.

I should probably clarify that this is not a small child, but a 5' tall 11 year old who can carry his own water (mine too if I'm lucky!!! :)) But point taken on the camel-up suggestion.

floid
07-13-2016, 07:24
Don't be afraid to stop and smell the roses, especially with your child. Sticking to a rigid schedule can make hiking an undesirable chore rather than a refreshing adventure in nature.

I just learned this lesson myself. Setting off up to the top of blood mountain, then to Unicoi gap. Should have been a nice 2.5 day 26 mile refreshing hike. Instead, I was late starting (should have skipped Blood mtn) and only made it just past Neels gap by night fall. Then a nice hike to low gap (10 miles). Should have stayed here, but I was on a self imposed schedule. After a break, I went on. There was no water, so went another 8 miles to blue mountain shelter. Long day, my knees were killing me. Not refreshing or relaxing. The short hike the next morning also not fun because I was so sore.

Moral of the story, forget the schedule one you start. Enjoy the time in nature. There are plenty of places to stop and camp where you are going. Just be aware of the water situation before you go.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

FatMan
07-13-2016, 07:42
How have you been Fatman and will I get to meet you this October? :)Do you have your dates set? My calendar is filling up. :lol

If I'm here your group should consider staying at my home at Grassy Gap instead of Wolfpen Hostel. You could walk-in at Grassy Gap or I could come get you at Woody.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-13-2016, 11:46
Do you have your dates set? My calendar is filling up. :lol

If I'm here your group should consider staying at my home at Grassy Gap instead of Wolfpen Hostel. You could walk-in at Grassy Gap or I could come get you at Woody.

Yes, the dates are set and I'll pm them to you, and I believe that's an offer too good to refuse! Here's hoping we can get together! Thanks :)

Teacher & Snacktime
07-13-2016, 11:50
Don't be afraid to stop and smell the roses, especially with your child. Sticking to a rigid schedule can make hiking an undesirable chore rather than a refreshing adventure in nature.

I just learned this lesson myself. Setting off up to the top of blood mountain, then to Unicoi gap. Should have been a nice 2.5 day 26 mile refreshing hike. Instead, I was late starting (should have skipped Blood mtn) and only made it just past Neels gap by night fall. Then a nice hike to low gap (10 miles). Should have stayed here, but I was on a self imposed schedule. After a break, I went on. There was no water, so went another 8 miles to blue mountain shelter. Long day, my knees were killing me. Not refreshing or relaxing. The short hike the next morning also not fun because I was so sore.

Moral of the story, forget the schedule one you start. Enjoy the time in nature. There are plenty of places to stop and camp where you are going. Just be aware of the water situation before you go.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I have a very carefully planned schedule that I fully intend to toss at a moment's notice. The exercise of scheduling is simply entertainment value and to prove that what I want to do can be done in a reasonable fashion. Once the first step is taken, it's all about fun. :)

JC13
07-18-2016, 14:21
Wood's Hole shows 0.2 on AWOL but .5 miles is definitely more like it. We kept thinking we had missed a turn. Water was completely dry there last week.

Fireplug
07-20-2016, 12:38
AWOL Guide will help you a lot.