PDA

View Full Version : Lots of questions for GA section hike in August

jacko213
06-25-2016, 22:25
I am planning on hiking Springer to Deep Gap, NC or however far I can get in 7 days.
1. Food - for just 7 days, would y'all recommend I bring a cat can stove and fuel or just buy ready to eat food?
2. for sleeping - would a bed sheet with a light flannel blanket and pad to sleep on suffice?
3. for filtering water - any recommendations? I've heard one or two people happy with Sawyer mini water filter, but any other ideas? What do y'all carry your water in?
4. tent - any thoughts on Alps Mountaineering lynx 1? that is my current plan
5. any other suggestions or advice?
Thanks y'all!

Turtle-2013
06-26-2016, 07:10
Good Morning,

I did Amicalola to Dick's Creek in April'15 so I can't speak to water issues in August. Also I did it in 5 days, finishing mid morning of the 5th day so I didn't resupply ... however my understanding is that it is pretty easy to resupply in Neels Gap since the trail passes right by the Hostel and Outfitter.

For sleeping your notion sounds reasonable for August. In warm weather I use a pad, with a fitted sheet made for it, and a light "quilt".

For filtering, as this point I use and like the Sawyer mini ... some complain about how often you need to backwash, but I don't find that to be such a big deal. Over the years it feels like I have used dozens of options, but it is the lightest and easiest to use of any I have experience with. I use a hydration bag with a drinking tube, and an additional roll-up bottle ... but really anything light and with enough capacity works well. I have seen lots of people use the Smart Water bottles since they are sturdy and have compatible screw top.

I don't use a tent, opting for a tarp-tent ... and I'm not familiar with the one you mention but if it will keep you dry, and isn't too heavy, and you like it ... it sounds like a good plan.

Have fun ... and be aware that water may be more scarce than earlier in the season....

P.S. I have relatives in Athens....

Stitches
06-26-2016, 09:24
I did Springer to Dick's Creek in 6 days beginning May 28. I didn't bring a stove and just ate ready to eat food. As Turtle said, you can resupply at Neel's Gap. For sleeping, I just had a small fleece blanket of in my bug bivy which I pitched under my tarp. I was cooler than I would have liked a couple nights, but not uncomfortable, so I am sure that in August you won't need much in the way of bedcovers. Several of the water sources were down to a trickle or even a seep, but others were running just fine. People have MacGyvered the springs and creeks to facilitate getting the water more easily. I carried 2 SmartWater bottles and tried to keep them filled all the time, and 2 rolled-up bladders that I filled when I needed them and filtered when I stopped. I have a Grayl filter which is kinda heavy, but acts as an additional water container AND had the added benefit of being pretty well insulated, so the cool spring water stayed cool.

A word of warning--even though I treated my clothes and gear with pyrethrin, I got a lot of chigger bites. I wouldn't wish that on anybody!

Christoph
06-26-2016, 09:25
I am planning on hiking Springer to Deep Gap, NC or however far I can get in 7 days.
1. Food - for just 7 days, would y'all recommend I bring a cat can stove and fuel or just buy ready to eat food?
2. for sleeping - would a bed sheet with a light flannel blanket and pad to sleep on suffice?
3. for filtering water - any recommendations? I've heard one or two people happy with Sawyer mini water filter, but any other ideas? What do y'all carry your water in?
Thanks y'all!

That's a great hike! I just did a section from the Falls to Unicoi Gap and ended up in Helen (4 day trip). Had so much fun. Anyway, I'd say bring a small stove and enjoy the outdoor cooking (or heating up just add water type stuff) experience. I won't add any more weight than ready to eat type foods plus it'll be nice to have something hot once in a while. For sleeping, I think for a 7 day trip, that would be fine. I started filtering water with a Sawyer Squeeze (the big mini) and that worked out really well for me. I'm sure there's other ways but the squeeze and the mini are cheap and popular enough to find almost anywhere. I only took 2 one liter water bottles with me and a small 16 oz bottle for my squeeze. Water is easy to come by and I never even close to ran out. But I don't drink a lot anyway, everyone's different tho. I have a $40 Ebay tent I used on my attempt last year and it worked really well. So I think most tents are personal preference (weight, brand types, etc...). Advice... take it slow and have fun! Here's a link to my section a few months ago. I hiked it with my big brother who I rarely get to see, so that was an awesome time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7moc750__aI

MtDoraDave
06-26-2016, 10:02
Thanks y'all!

A stove is important to me, I have a hot breakfast (instant oatmeal) and coffee, and I do the dehydrated meals for dinner - this cuts down on weight because the food items don't have water in them until you put it in them.

You can either mail yourself a box of supplies to Mountain Crossings (Neel gap) and they'll hold it for you for like $1 - or you can buy provisions there. No need to carry a whole week's worth of food when the resupply is directly on the trail.

For sleeping, whatever you think you'll need.

I carry 2 one liter Smart water bottles, and a .6 liter water bottle in a sling - though I rarely keep them all full until I get to camp in the evening. Usually only keep one of the liters full, plus the .6 liter, for hiking. No need to carry the extra weight when the AT guide books show you where the water sources will be.

The sawyer mini is popular, though many complain that it is much slower than the full sized Sawyer Squeeze that only weighs one ounce more.

I would definitely treat my socks, pants, shirts, and pack with permethrin prior to leaving for the hike. Die ticks, die!

I just googled the Lynx 1, and it looks like it would work fine... perhaps a little hot, because it doesn't look like it is very well ventilated with the rain-fly on. Also its twice as heavy as other solo tents (but those cost twice as much).

MtDoraDave
06-26-2016, 10:09
...and I mentioned it earlier, but didn't elaborate. I don't know if you have one already, or are aware of them, but a guide book is an extremely valuable asset on the AT.

Most people seem to use AWOL's guide
http://www.theatguide.com/
though there are others available.

I usually photo copy the pages I'll need for the week and keep them in a ziploc bag in my pocket. Why carry 7.8 ounces when a few pages are probably less than an ounce? It all adds up!

fghester
06-26-2016, 11:11
That will be a fun hike. I recently completed Springer to Unicoi (Mid June) and loved it. Some water sources were difficult (others very good) so fill up at every opportunity. It goes without saying, but your level of enjoyment will be inversely related to the amount of weight you are carrying. I have done it both ways. I'm a 150 pound guy. I've carried as much as 45 pounds in the old days (when I was young an foolish) and now I'm down to 16.5 pounds including 3 days worth of food and 2 liters of water. My level of enjoyment has gone from good to euphoric!. Major Pieces of Gear: Osprey Exos 58 Pack, Lunar Solo Tarp Tent, Tyvek footprint for tent, Klymit Inertia X-Lite Sleeping Pad, ultra light weight synthetic fiber quilt (forget brand but there are lots of them). No stove or fuel. One extra light weight shirt, underwear, pants, two extra pair of wool hiking socks (Lorpen), very small bag of emergency stuff, 40 feet of light weight para cord for bear hangs but I prefer cables at shelters., shrunk down pages from AWoL's guide (for the sections I'm doing). Food is dry granola mixed with a variety of nuts. I use aqua mira to purify water & also carry a Life Straw that will allow drinking unpurified water out of a bottle, or even a small pool. Finally, I found that it's very important for me to put 2 pinches of table salt in each liter of drinking water (after the auqua mira is finished working). That prevents hypo natremia which can be especially problematic in the heat of summer. In the old days, I always took stuff I didn't really need. Most important lesson is that you can reduce the weight of something the most by leaving it at home. Then it's zero! Of course, you have to balance that against safety. Have a great hike!

Stitches
06-26-2016, 12:08
Permethrin. I use pyrethrin in my garden!

Turk6177
06-26-2016, 19:39
You can lighten your load if you carry half the amount of food and just do a resupply at Neels Gap at Mountain Crossings Outfitters. You can also get more fuel for your cat can stove there if you choose to go that route. I would cook, just because it is nice to have a warm meal at night. You can treat yourself after all your hard work during the day. 2. I would go as lightweight as you can for a blanket. You might get away with just a sea to summit silk cotton blend liner if you have other warm clothes to throw on in the event of a cold snap. 3. I would use a sawyer full size filter. The weight savings of the mini does not outweigh the slower flow rate. I carry my water in platypus 1l bags and keep a 20 oz gatorade bottle with a sport top strapped to my backpack's j strap. I have seen many through hikers using smart water bottles as an alternative to the platypus bags. I have no opinion on your tent, however, whatever you can find that is the lightest you can afford is the best one you can get. My other suggestion would to use trekking poles if you don't already use them. I think they take a lot of the pounding off of your legs. My second suggestion (not knowing what kind of bear bag rope you are going to bring) would be to ditch the paracord (often seen on the trail) and use some dyneema rope sold at Zpacks.com. This stuff is slick, super strong and great for hanging food, among others things. I used paracord the first time I went and it got a pound heavier when it got wet. Lastly, if you don't have AWOL's AT guide, I would highly recommend it. It has all the details about camp sites, water sources, resupply, etc. It will be one of your most important pieces of gear. You don't have to limit yourself to staying just at the shelters. I found some awesome camp sites along the GA section. Have a great hike! Drink lots of water. August will be warm.

soumodeler
06-26-2016, 21:05
Resupply at Neel Gap and possibly at Top of Georgia. No sense in carrying extra food weight.

In August, a super light sleeping bag or fleece blanket will most likely be all you need. Check the weather before hand and be sure to account for elevation.

Sawyer Squeeze over the Mini. Not worth saving the ounce.

As said before, get the AWOL guide or AT Companion for reference.

jacko213
06-26-2016, 21:09
Thanks everyone! Because of logistics, I'm actually switching to an out and back for 7 days, possibly starting at Deep gap, but open to suggestions.

jacko213
06-27-2016, 00:15
For 7-10 day hikes, what size bag would be recommended? I'm looking at several that are 55, 60, and 65L.

soumodeler
06-27-2016, 19:34
How much space does all your gear take up? :)

60-65 liter is a common pack size though, and you don't have to fill it all the way up.