PDA

View Full Version : Filter "bath water"?

skinnbones
06-26-2016, 14:56
I bought the Mini Sawyer to filter my drinking water. I was told if I plan to take a trail "bath", that water should filtered too. Something about dirty water could pose an infection threat??? I just don't see any issues with washing my hair with stream water (Away from the water source, of course). Little help, please.

Turtle-2013
06-26-2016, 15:00
Sounds like advise from someone pretty overzealous when it comes to germs. Just don't take your trail bath in the water people are going to be drinking from ; )

Venchka
06-26-2016, 15:07
Did the same source tell you to filter AND boil for 10 minutes before drinking the water?
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

RangerZ
06-26-2016, 15:10
Don't forget the AquaMira too!

squeezebox
06-26-2016, 15:29
If you have broken skin of any sort. Rash, cuts etc, where the infected stuff can get inside, maybe yes. But a bit of soap in your wash water should kill the bad guys.

illabelle
06-26-2016, 15:54
Filtering bath water seems pretty silly. On the other hand, what's with these stories we see in the news about flesh-eating bacteria? Seems like each time the person is reported to have picked up the bacteria from a natural source, a river, lake, stream. Anybody knowledgeable about this?

Odd Man Out
06-26-2016, 16:39
Ever swim in a lake?

Lone Wolf
06-26-2016, 17:07
Ever swim in a lake?

...or a pond, a stream, a public hot tub? too late

swjohnsey
06-26-2016, 18:42
Hell, I don't filter my drinking water.

skinnbones
06-26-2016, 19:14
Now that I think about this, it was a lame question. Sorry about that. Sometimes I don't think long enough to let incoming advice absorb. Spent most of my childhood summers swimming in a southern lake with no issues. swjohnsey > not as brave as you. I will filter my drinking water.

squeezebox
06-26-2016, 19:50
Hell, I don't filter my drinking water.

Good luck staying out of the ICU

FreeGoldRush
06-26-2016, 20:54
The difference is that you could take a shower at the end of the day when swimming in the lake or pond. On the trail you may have raw skin that gets rubbed with that bacteria for days. Just another reason to treat blisters and other wounds right away to prevent infection.

Now that I think about this, it was a lame question. Sorry about that. Sometimes I don't think long enough to let incoming advice absorb. Spent most of my childhood summers swimming in a southern lake with no issues. swjohnsey > not as brave as you. I will filter my drinking water.

swjohnsey
06-26-2016, 22:21
Made it to Maine. And you?

plexusbritt
06-27-2016, 11:35
Eh... Im a little torn on this one. If I have an open cut or something, I'll filter like just enough for that area but, I'm hiking. I will get sweaty, dirty, and all so I don't stress about it too much. It cant be much worse than what is probably already on my skin. lol

Lnj
06-27-2016, 14:24
When you get the opportunity to bathe... it will feel so good to wash off you won't care what's in the water! But if you add a little Dr. Bronners or other "Green" soap to the process, you will have nothing to worry about, even for the open blisters and stuff.

QiWiz
06-27-2016, 15:31
I bought the Mini Sawyer to filter my drinking water. I was told if I plan to take a trail "bath", that water should filtered too. Something about dirty water could pose an infection threat??? I just don't see any issues with washing my hair with stream water (Away from the water source, of course). Little help, please.

Have never treated my wash water, but make sure to keep it out of orifices as best I can when "bathing". No infections acquired over many miles of trail. I use a collapsible bucket to carry stream or lake water to a place that is 200 or more feet away so as not to contaminate the water source with camp suds and/or personal grime. : )

Sarcasm the elf
06-27-2016, 15:48
Made it to Maine. And you?

Nope, I stayed in Southern New England where I routinely swim and water ski on rivers and lakes (some of ehich are in face A.T. water sources. :D Never had a problem.

hikernutcasey
06-27-2016, 16:00
Met a 2016 NOBO in PA on a section hike a few weeks back named Grandaddy Longlegs. He had to get off trail for 16 days due to a staph infection in his calf. They determined it probably developed from entering through a blister on his toe.

Even with this being said, I would never filter my bath water. If you hike the trail your feet are going to be wet at some point and probably for long periods at times. It's just part of the deal and your chances of getting an infection are still really, really low. You probably have a higher chance of being hit by a car at a road crossing.

Lone Wolf
06-27-2016, 20:19
http://www.wcyb.com/news/health/officials-working-with-water-park-after-amoeba-kills-woman/40248906

Lnj
06-28-2016, 14:27
Wow. How terribly sad. Its a freak thing to happen, but it sure makes it worth it to clamp that nose shut on the plunge. My 16 year old daughter still holds her nose to swim anywhere. I will stop making fun of her now.... :o