PDA

View Full Version : water situation in MA

Spider_
06-27-2016, 17:56
I'm hiking the AT from Salisbury, CT to Bennington, MA. Anyone know the water situation along the route? I can't get Guthook for my Blackberry so have to get the info in a different way. My next phone will be an Android!!

egilbe
06-27-2016, 18:10
You still own a Blackberry? Thats pretty cool.

Sarcasm the elf
06-27-2016, 18:15
My second hand info is that some of the smaller sources are already dry around the CT/MA border, the larger streams were still flowing last week. Wish I had more to add.

rustmd
06-27-2016, 18:29
i hiked two sections in southern new england last week and water sources are pretty dry now. best to hike towards shelters, best bet for water source. most of the water pumps in conn. were working fine. a good tip is to fill up with water where you can find it, and plan to carry more than normal. . .it's hot out there now.

.com

rustmd
06-27-2016, 18:30
and to add to my post, i had to hike out to a couple of roadside delis and fill up on water (and gatorade). normally i would not do that but it was necessary.

.com

Gambit McCrae
06-28-2016, 08:20
I was there in September, and had trouble finding water past Raven Ravine. I was having to carry 4+ liters of water, as I did not know that almost every 10 mile increment road crossing had dozens of water jugs at it. The further north I got, the more ponds I ran into, but they all were beaver water. Even after filtering it had a tasty brown tint to it.

Cosmo
06-28-2016, 09:16
Still a trickle at Wilcox North, which always goes dry in later summer. Other are still flowing, but at low levels. At Wilcox South, use the source that's on the AT just south of the shelter.

The trail angel who puts water out at Shays Rebellion is still active, as is the one north of Mt Everett at Guilder Pond. The water is fine in that area, but she continues to leave water for hikers.

No other reports of problems in Mass so far.

Cosmo

linus72
06-28-2016, 09:34
just did sages ravine to So Egremont Road last weekend. Sages and Bear Rock Stream were low but in good shape. We stayed at Race Brook Campsite and there was water but it wasnt moving much and we looked for a spot where it was moving a bit to collect our water. the rest was pretty stagnant. The other water sources including those near Glen Brook and Hemlocks were very very dry. I'd plan on filling up at Sages and Bear Rock. There was a trail magic cooler at So Egremont Road with many jugs of water and big coolers and lots of water at a picnic table at the Mount Everett Picnic area where you can also fill up. All the water sources between Jug End Rd and So Egremont road were entirely dry. South of Sages, Brassie Brook was running well back on Memorial Day weekend but don't know it's current condition. But if you load up in Salisbury you should make it to Sages no problem. North of Shay's Rebellion at So Egremont Road I dont know, didnt go that far. But based on this and everyone else's comments, fill up where you can.

trailkat
07-04-2016, 14:23
Hiked from Jug End to Sages this weekend. Race Brook Falls campsite is about the same as linus72 reported...small pools of water about 6-8 inches deep, but it's all still. We were able to pump enough. Sages and Bear Rock stream had moving water. Didn't check at Hemlocks and Glen Brook. There were people handing out water again at Mt. Everett picnic area.

Cosmo
07-04-2016, 20:30
Here are reports from this weekend (July 4th):

Laurel Ridge: Last week, low but flowing.
Race Brook: As noted by trailkat
Mt Everett (AT Parking): Water delivered by locals (pretty much un-needed at that location, but good to have).
Hemlocks/Glen Brook: Low but flowing
Shays' Rebellion: There's been pretty steady delivery of water by locals right at the gate. Can't guarantee this will continue, of course.
Tom Leonard: Last week, lower source was still running
Wilcox South: Small pool in rocks off of blue blaze near small shelter. Larger flow at water on AT south of blue blaze is flowing
Wilcox North: Dry
Shaker: No report
October Mtn: Sluggish but sufficient (and brown, as usual)
Kay Wood: Good
Crystal Mtn: Low but sufficient
Nopel: Good pools at bottom of blue blaze
Wilbur: Low but sufficient
Sherman Brook: No report, but brook and spring have always been fine.

We're in conditions similar to the end of August. Campsites (except N Wilcox) are steady but low. Trail crossings at smaller streams in between campsites are pretty much dry. You will definitely need to pump or dip the water at most places. Remember those who are coming behind you and don't make a mess by stirring things up.

Plenty of water at Goose Pond and Greylock Summit (spigot behind Bascom Lodge). While the last couple of weeks have had very nice temps and low humidity, we could definitely use some days of steady rain.

Cosmo

Hiked from Jug End to Sages this weekend. Race Brook Falls campsite is about the same as linus72 reported...small pools of water about 6-8 inches deep, but it's all still. We were able to pump enough. Sages and Bear Rock stream had moving water. Didn't check at Hemlocks and Glen Brook. There were people handing out water again at Mt. Everett picnic area.