PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands - parking at the Scales?

doingtime
06-27-2016, 21:06
Looking do do a loop at GH over the July 4th weekend. I have hiked a few miles there starting from Grindstone and I need to get in some miles on the other side. I know most people start at GHSP, but looking at the map the "scales" looks like a great place to ues as a jumping off point as it has water, restrooms and I think camping spots right there.

For those that have been there, is this a good plan? Is it safe to leave a vehicle there? I have a Jeep and love to wheel it, so the road is not a problem.

Lone Wolf
06-27-2016, 21:09
it's a 4 mile drive on a rough azz road. takes about 2 beers and 40 minutes. very safe and great camping. do it

handlebar
06-27-2016, 21:50
+1 to what Lone Wolf said. Very rough road. I'd say 50 minutes and high clearance vehicle would be a plus.

carouselambra
06-27-2016, 22:47
From my last couple of trips through there, the spring there is not reliable so I would bring in some water on the Jeep. Have fun!

bigcranky
06-28-2016, 04:05
People do drive up that "road", but I wouldn't. There is a two-room privy, not a restroom, no running water, and the spring is not reliable. Park at Grayson Highlands. Easy access, safe parking, costs a couple of bucks a day.

bustokorea
06-28-2016, 08:22
slept there 2 weeks ago. coupla guys had driven their pickup up the road and parked it in the paddock before heading off with packs. i slept in the paddock. streams were running just down the road. bathrooms were fairly clean. lotsa ponies and longhorns about.

doingtime
06-28-2016, 09:13
Thanks for the info. How crowded will it be on the holiday weekend? Just a guess?

Mr. Bumpy
06-28-2016, 09:16
It will take you as long to drive up to scales as it would to drive around to the state park. I have driven a 4 Runner up there and that was fine except for the broken control arm. I would not drive up there again, it was that unpleasant. Occasionally you will see some sort of car up there, but there would be too much luck involved for that.
One of the coolest sights I saw was in the spring when about 25 head of steer were being brought up the road. There were about 8-10 people on horseback bringing them up and except for the roll of hay on the tractor the scene could have been from 150 years ago.
I have also seen some really weird stuff happen there too like two guys driving up at 2AM to enjoy each other's com
I have never had trouble with water up there either at the spring near the gate nor at the seep down the road.
During turkey season people will drive up there before dawn and hunt for several hours.

JumpMaster Blaster
06-28-2016, 10:00
One night I stayed up there and a pickup truck carrying a horse trailer came up the road. There was another small group with what looked to be a Subaru Outback or similar small SUV. While it was nice having a privy nearby and great place to catch the sunset, the piped spring was dry- I didn't get water until I was a couple miles north.

Doctari
06-28-2016, 12:36
When I was through there about 12 years ago, there was a BIG camper there, one of the Winnebago types. So, I figured the road can't be that bad. :-) I did not pay attention to available parking, so can't speak to that. I saw the camper, used the privy, got water & went on.

SWODaddy
06-28-2016, 13:51
During turkey season people will drive up there before dawn and hunt for several hours.

I've seen deer hunters park there as well.

bigcranky
06-28-2016, 14:03
When I was through there about 12 years ago, there was a BIG camper there, one of the Winnebago types. So, I figured the road can't be that bad. :-) I did not pay attention to available parking, so can't speak to that. I saw the camper, used the privy, got water & went on.

Yeah, I always figured the Army brought that in on a Chinook. :)

Lone Wolf
06-28-2016, 19:13
i drive up there a few times a year. mid august the blueberries are ripe. usually camp a coupla nites in the corral. theres a piped spring about .5 from the gate on the road. always running. i have a 2 wheel drive PU. it ain't all that bad. it'll be fun in a jeep

doingtime
06-28-2016, 20:50
i drive up there a few times a year. mid august the blueberries are ripe. usually camp a coupla nites in the corral. theres a piped spring about .5 from the gate on the road. always running. i have a 2 wheel drive PU. it ain't all that bad. it'll be fun in a jeep

10-4, and that's what I was hoping for. I do a lot of off road driving and rock crawling so I didn't figure it could be too bad.

Diamondlil
06-29-2016, 16:14
Was there two weeks ago, the road is a real 4x4 dream. Bring water if there's been no rain. Great place to tent. You can out and back for a couple days on different trails. Good place to leave trail magic when you go?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lone Wolf
06-29-2016, 16:56
Was there two weeks ago, the road is a real 4x4 dream. Bring water if there's been no rain. Great place to tent. You can out and back for a couple days on different trails. Good place to leave trail magic when you go?!?!?

never leave anything unattended

doingtime
06-29-2016, 17:03

Thank you! That's what I was hoping!