PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail vs Benton MacKaye?

bustokorea
06-28-2016, 08:28
hiya,

planning a 3-week hike in September and can't decide between Vermont's Long Trail (SOBO) or the Benton MacKaye (NOBO). Anyone who has done both? logistics are a bit more difficult and costly (tho not tremendously so) for the LT, but gut instinct is that it would be more enjoyable than BMT, though the latter holds some cachet because it is more isolated (for the most part), not as well known, and hits the Smokies. any advice appreciated. thanks.

ps: this is the last prep for an AT thru-hike next spring hopefully. :)

egilbe
06-28-2016, 08:43
You will do half the Long Trail doing the AT. Id do the BMT since it is closer to where you live.

Slo-go'en
06-28-2016, 09:13
LT - pros:
Fall colors start coming out in Sept.
Resupply logistics are fairly easy.
LT - cons:
The LT becomes extremely difficult north of the Maine junction.
There are a lot of collage orientation groups using the trail in early September, but mostly on the AT section, along with the thru hiker stragglers.
Lodging north of the Maine junction becomes very expensive in September (leaf peeper season, fleece the tourists time)
It gets mighty chilly towards the end of September.
It really takes a bit more then 3 weeks to hike the LT and if traveling to and from has to be part of that 3 weeks, you loose time there.

I don't know much about the BMT, so can't really comment on it.

4shot
06-28-2016, 12:52
all I know about the LT is the part that is shared with the AT. The BMT is a great trail Here are my thoughts - I don't know how much experience you have, but you will want maps for this one. This thing is not blazed like the AT. If anyone says otherwise, I would question if they have ever hiked it. Personally, I think the weather would typically be better in September for the LT - it can still be hot around here, even in the mountains. (Although that varies from year to year). I would also pay attention to the weather in July/August. I just spent 2 weeks on the BMT in early June and water sources were already starting to dry up. If we continue to have a hot/dry summer, that would be something to think about. In Georgia, cell phone coverage is pretty good, but in TN/NC you may go a few days in a row without. That may or may not be an issue. if you decide on the BMT, there is a good guide book published by Sgt. Rock. get it. The best thing about the BMT? You may hike the whole thing and never see more than a half dozen people on it. i have gone 10 day stretches without seeing another human being. it is a great hike, although I would hesitate to recommend it to someone with no backpacking experience. PM if you have questions or ask them in the BMT sub forum. You can get great advice there as well. regards. I think a thru hike of either trail would be great preperation for an AT thru hike.

The Kisco Kid
06-28-2016, 13:21
Long Trail is pretty isolated north of Maine Junction especially in the northern section. I don't remember seeing anyone for two days.

SWODaddy
06-28-2016, 14:11
if you decide on the BMT, there is a good guide book published by Sgt. Rock. get it.

Anyone know if he's still making these? I just tried his website and the Order page gave me a 404 error.

http://bmtguide.com/

Ashepabst
06-28-2016, 16:15
not recently maintained sections of the BMT could be choked in overgrowth in September

CalebJ
06-28-2016, 16:33
Anyone know if he's still making these? I just tried his website and the Order page gave me a 404 error.

Curious, he hasn't been on the forums since last fall. I wonder if anybody's been in touch with him?

It does look like you can still get the guide here:
http://www.bmta.org/Store-Guides.html

4shot
06-28-2016, 17:48

Yes...I ordered mine in mid May. Google Benton Makaye Trail association or just go to www.bmta.org. look around and find the link to the store ( or try this link:
http://www.bmta.org/BMTA_Store.htm). looks like they have copies. If not, i'll send you mine. Warning: it is a bit crumpled and has numerous stains from peanut butter sandwiches and/or snickers bars. God luck.

rafe
06-28-2016, 18:05
The northern third of the LT makes the AT feel like a walk in the woods. Seriously, I'll never again complain about muddy trail or trail maintenance on the AT... There were also a few serious vertigo-inducing moments, on Mt. Mansfield, and on the northern slope of Camel's Hump.

SWODaddy
06-28-2016, 18:12
Yes...I ordered mine in mid May. Google Benton Makaye Trail association or just go to www.bmta.org. look around and find the link to the store ( or try this link:
http://www.bmta.org/BMTA_Store.htm). looks like they have copies. If not, i'll send you mine. Warning: it is a bit crumpled and has numerous stains from peanut butter sandwiches and/or snickers bars. God luck.

Thank you kindly for the offer, I was able to order a copy from the BMTA site

Lone Wolf
06-28-2016, 19:06
hiya,

planning a 3-week hike in September and can't decide between Vermont's Long Trail (SOBO) or the Benton MacKaye (NOBO). Anyone who has done both? logistics are a bit more difficult and costly (tho not tremendously so) for the LT, but gut instinct is that it would be more enjoyable than BMT, though the latter holds some cachet because it is more isolated (for the most part), not as well known, and hits the Smokies. any advice appreciated. thanks.

ps: this is the last prep for an AT thru-hike next spring hopefully. :)

long trail. hands down

10-K
06-28-2016, 20:06
If you're most familiar with the Southern Appalachians I'd recommend the Long Trail. North of Appalachian Gap it is a total beast and I'm not kidding. The closest I've ever come to quitting a trail was the Long Trail. Resupply isn't difficult at all.

I'd also recommend a SOBO hike, parking at the southern end at the Community Center (free) in Williamstown and getting a shuttle to the northern terminus.

bustokorea
07-07-2016, 23:50
Thanks everyone for replying below. Good info, and - apologies to Lone Wolf - I'll be doing the BMT. A little easier to get to and back from Roanoke, Virginia, and I think I want to save the Long Trail to tack on to an AT thru-hike. A lot of me wants to see those leaves changing and walk in Vermonth, but there will be time next year. Thanks again.

Hikingjim
07-08-2016, 00:10
no contest if you don't mind some rocky/strenuous hiking. LT in september is great.
Leaves wouldn't show up until later, but either way

Jeff
07-08-2016, 08:32
BMT is quite the wilderness adventure. If you are new to long distance hiking, the BMT is going to be super challenging.

saltysack
07-08-2016, 10:34
If your a newbie might want to check out the 77 mile foothills trail on NC/SC border.....well marked but still has some challenging sections...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
07-08-2016, 20:17
Long Tr gets my vote for a Sept SOBO for getting you out of the VA area.

Dogwood
07-08-2016, 20:27
Thanks everyone for replying below. Good info, and - apologies to Lone Wolf - I'll be doing the BMT. A little easier to get to and back from Roanoke, Virginia, and I think I want to save the Long Trail to tack on to an AT thru-hike. A lot of me wants to see those leaves changing and walk in Vermonth, but there will be time next year. Thanks again.

More say/contemplate this than actually follow through. Nearby on the AT you have the mountains of The Whites and Maine. Take the Green Mountains separately and IMHO I think you'll appreciate the northern half of the LT more. Much difference between where the AT and LT overlap compared to the northern LT terrain. Less people too.

Before settling on the BMT I'll suggest you DO NOT sell yourself ONLY on a named route like the BMT but mix some of the AT, PT, east coast JMT, GSMNP, etc

bustokorea
07-08-2016, 20:36
what is the east coast JMT? (did the west coast JMT last year)

MuddyWaters
07-08-2016, 21:59
Id also vote for the LT sobo in september if there was a contest.

Follow the leaves as they turn. What could be better?

Moose!

http://www.foliage-vermont.com/foliageinflash.htm

Wont mention the rain, mud, lyme threat, or that you need to be a masochist to enjoy about a third of it. Oops.

But I hears its been pretty dry so far this summer. Actually water concerns in few places.

B&Bs and craft beer , alpine tundra and views could ease the pain.