PDA

View Full Version : In Praise of the Bandana!

The Weasel
01-29-2003, 15:07
One thing I don't see on most gear lists, especially other ultralighters, are bandanas. That's a mistake. Based on my "rule of threes" (every piece of gear should have three distinct uses), it beats out every other item I have:

(1) Pot grabber (I removed the handle from my titanium pot

(2) Neck gaiter

(3) Handkerchief (please rinse before using as neck gaiter

(4) Placemat on tables to catch crumbs to throw away to prevent mice/juncos.

(5) Sweat band for forehead.

(6) Pre-filter to get floaties and large proties out of water as I fill my water bag.

(7) Emergency large bandage

(8) Hat (see picture gallery)

(9) Towel (yeah, it works. you gotta wring it out once or twice if you take a shower. but it's adequate)

(10) Other cool things.

Total weight: about 1 oz.

The Weasel

Don
01-29-2003, 15:18
Good list. . . .

Check out the 40 uses for a bandana from Aldha West:

http://www.aldhawest.org/gazette/V4_3_bandana.html

or the poem: 57 Uses for a Bandana at:

http://www.tfn.net/~kate901/band57.htm

DebW
01-29-2003, 15:59
I always carry 2 or 3. How many do other people carry?

Streamweaver
01-29-2003, 16:22
I always carry 2 bandannas even on dayhikes!
Streamweaver

Alison
01-29-2003, 17:15
I carry 2.

EarlyRiser
01-29-2003, 18:39
used one to wash dishes, wore another, kept an extra one for just incases, lent fourth one out.

The Weasel
01-29-2003, 19:51
One. With clean water to rinse it, it is always useful in all of these ways. But then, I'm a little freaky about heavy things like bandanas.

The Weasel

SGT Rock
01-29-2003, 20:02
1 silk bandana made from scraps.

The Weasel
01-29-2003, 20:03
Rock - Silk would have a lot of benefits, I know, but does it retain water as well as a cotton bandana? That's important to me as a towel and sweat band.

The Weasel

Trail Yeti
01-29-2003, 21:37
I carry a bandana and a buff. The Buff is the "new evolution of bandana"....its awesome! dries quicker, makes a better hat, scarf, neck thing, balaclava etc....
I kept the old bandana for blowing the nose, wiping up spills, cleaning myself off etc, etc etc....but the buff is the hat!
For you ladies, buffs can be used as tops....Moonshine used hers to swim in all the time!

SGT Rock
01-29-2003, 21:53
I haven't compared it to a cotton bandanna, but I know silk holds water. It just doesn't hold as much as cotton because it isn't that thick. I thought silk would dry faster, but it really doesn't. What is nice is when I'm out hiking, I can use it as a neck drape to keep the skeeters off me and it is thin and light enough to keep me from burning up too bad.

DebW
01-29-2003, 22:26
Originally posted by Trail Yeti
For you ladies, buffs can be used as tops....Moonshine used hers to swim in all the time!

You mean Moonshine went swimming "in the buff"? -- Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. By the way, what fabric is a buff made from? Is it stretchy?

Trail Yeti
01-30-2003, 01:47
Yes to both meanings on "swim in the buff"
It is made of stuff kind of like capilene....dries fast, wicks sweat away...all that good stuff. And yes it stretches out nicely.
ever watch "survivor"? The thing they all get is a buff. Of course, mine came from the ATC and says AT on it so it is much cooler than theirs....

Peaks
01-30-2003, 09:19
Originally posted by DebW
You mean Moonshine went swimming "in the buff"? -- Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. By the way, what fabric is a buff made from? Is it stretchy?

Maybe we need a new thread here:

"In praise of the Buff"

Don
01-30-2003, 09:38
a lot of shops are now stocking buffs...you can get one online (best selection) at:

http://www.buyabuff.com/

MedicineMan
02-05-2003, 01:07
I've got the AT olive green version of the Buff.....is it the same as the rest of the Buffs?

RagingHampster
02-16-2003, 10:10
So let me get this straight, the buff is a capilene tube?

I like the idea on the Lightweight Gear page that has a large bandana with "HIKER TO TOWN" on one side and "HIKER TO TRAIL" on the other. Makes hitchhiking easier. I'm thinking of making something similar with a lightweight quick-drying fabric.

http://www.members.tripod.com/lwgear/lwg.html

Don
02-16-2003, 10:32
Raging Hamster,

This is taken verbatim from the FAQ on BUYABUFF's website..

What is a Buff?
Buff Wear is a uniquely versatile garment designed to provide a high level of comfort and protection (and to be cool!).

How many ways are there to wear it?
Buffs are multi-functional headwear with at least 12 ways to wear it on your head. They offer protection from the elements, and form an attractive piece of head, or hair, wear. You can carry it on your wrist, or even on your ankle, and they've even been worn as leg and arm warmers!

How big is a Buff? Are there different sizes?
Laid out flat they are a 49 x 25 cm tube. Buffs weigh just over 1 ounce (30 grams). When folded up they are smaller than a deck of cards. One size fits all, apart from Baby Buffs which are smaller and designed for children aged up to 4 years.

What fabric are they made from?
They are manufactured from 100% polyester micro-fiber, which is wind resistant, breathable, and wicks moisture. When washed the Buff is colour fast, dries in minutes, and retains its elasticity.

RagingHampster
02-16-2003, 10:43
Yes but they are a tube right? Not a single ply rectangular piece of fabric right?

Don
02-16-2003, 10:56
Yep......they're tubes

SGT Rock
02-16-2003, 10:58
http://www.buyabuff.com/

Doctari
12-12-2003, 18:05
The only cotton I carry are 2 bandanas. Mine are a little larger than the standard store bought ones, I use them for all of the above things and then some. I lost one once, almost paniced as much as if I had lost my tent. Somehow, I got it back. Yes, it was totally lost, another hiker saw it in the middle of the trail but didn't think to fetch it. 2 days later, it appeared ON my pack at a shelter. ALL at the shelter denied having found it :-? NO, it wasnt there the previous 2 days, yes it was mine, is a unusual hand made design. It makes me wonder.

Doctari.

smokymtnsteve
12-12-2003, 20:20
to clean your bandana..jut throw it in your cook pot with at little waterand boil it out..you the have a fairly clean and germ free cloth...get that sucker hot!