PDA

View Full Version : Boots Off Hostel

Berry Belle
06-29-2016, 00:24
A couple of weeks ago, we stayed at Boots Off, a new hostel on Shook Branch Road just south of Watauga Lake. The bunkroom is nice, with a curtain, a light and an electrical plug for each bunk. We had a cabin tent with two cots, a table and chairs. They also offer tenting and hammocking. They served a very tasty and reasonably priced dinner, and a continental breakfast of home baked cookies and fruit with all the coffee we could drink.

A great alternative to Pine Mountain Shelter or the campsite 0.7 miles south of Shook Branch Rd.

TOW
06-29-2016, 09:46
A couple of weeks ago, we stayed at Boots Off, a new hostel on Shook Branch Road just south of Watauga Lake. The bunkroom is nice, with a curtain, a light and an electrical plug for each bunk. We had a cabin tent with two cots, a table and chairs. They also offer tenting and hammocking. They served a very tasty and reasonably priced dinner, and a continental breakfast of home baked cookies and fruit with all the coffee we could drink.

A great alternative to Pine Mountain Shelter or the campsite 0.7 miles south of Shook Branch Rd.
I met Jim Gregory the owner and I have had some of his guests that have stayed with him here and they say its great there

Bipolar Roller
09-19-2016, 21:36
My family and I stayed there a month ago. We rented the family tent. It has two cots and is also a two room tent, very spacious. Beautiful design and build with regard to the bunkhouse. Pleasant folks all around. We enjoyed a bon fire in the evening and delicious breakfast. Laundry facilities was a reasonable rate and they even shuttled our group to the local Subway. I shall return there when hiking the area again. Sorry my English skills need improvement.

Trailweaver
09-20-2016, 01:03
I'm not familiar with this. Can you tell me please where (city, state, or what it's close to) this is? Sounds nice and I would hope to go sometime. Thanks

map man
09-20-2016, 08:02
I'm not familiar with this. Can you tell me please where (city, state, or what it's close to) this is? Sounds nice and I would hope to go sometime. Thanks

Northbound hikers get to Boots Off right before they reach Highway 321 in Tennessee. Highway 321 leads to Hampton, Tennessee. The original poster did mention that it is near Watauga Lake.

MtDoraDave
11-18-2017, 20:10
I'm here now. My first hostel experience, but I can't imagine finding a nicer place. Heated bathrooms, heated bunkhouse, hot showers, great kitchen area... continental breakfast and coffee...
I WAS going to tent, but rain in forecast tonight, I'll pay the extra $10 to not have to deal with cold wet tent in the morning.

dmax
11-18-2017, 22:39
I'm here now. My first hostel experience, but I can't imagine finding a nicer place. Heated bathrooms, heated bunkhouse, hot showers, great kitchen area... continental breakfast and coffee...
I WAS going to tent, but rain in forecast tonight, I'll pay the extra $10 to not have to deal with cold wet tent in the morning.
Good choice. Looks like a hard storm is on the way!

MtDoraDave
11-21-2017, 17:02
Yes indeed. Sunday was cold and windy. Stopped for lunch at Vandeventer shelter and couldn't feel my fingers for an hour. Tented at iron mountain and had ice inside my tent. Been nice since. At woodchucks hostel now, but that's a different state (VA).

ldsailor
11-25-2017, 13:01
I stayed there not long after they opened. It's a great hostel and it's convenient. At the time, the Watauga Lake Shelter was closed and I believe it still is. That shelter closure makes this a natural overnight stop unless you are willing to continue for another 7 miles to the next shelter.

ladytaz
03-21-2019, 09:08
How far is this hostel from the trail?

Christoph
03-21-2019, 09:38
On a section with my brother, we stayed there late last year during the off season. My bro was so worn out, he couldn't hike much farther. We called and the owner (I think) came down to the lake and picked us up. It would have been about a 1/2 mile walk (as a guess) but the driveway was pretty long and uphill. Very nice spot and friendly folks! Will definitely stay again if I'm in the area.

ladytaz
03-21-2019, 09:49
On a section with my brother, we stayed there late last year during the off season. My bro was so worn out, he couldn't hike much farther. We called and the owner (I think) came down to the lake and picked us up. It would have been about a 1/2 mile walk (as a guess) but the driveway was pretty long and uphill. Very nice spot and friendly folks! Will definitely stay again if I'm in the area.

TY very much

RangerZ
03-21-2019, 12:21
How far is this hostel from the trail?

The AT Guide has it 0.2 west of trail and it is up hill.

BOH is a great place. All rough cut lumber but high quality hardware and construction.

Bathrooms look like privies but are all porcelain inside. Bucket shower was fun, hadn't seen one of them since my Army days.

The people there are great, if a little Grumpy. :banana

BlackCloud
04-18-2020, 13:47
Prob. the nicest AT hostel I've seen yet. Very charming spot, clean, and a 5 min walk from the trail.