PDA

View Full Version : Alocs Cook Set

Jaxx
06-29-2016, 07:08
I was sent this the other day and I actually thought it might be junk but for the price, it turned out to be a pretty cool little cook set. The price at gearbest is 36.15 with free shipping. That being said I wouldn't take it on a thru-hike because of the weight but it's still a nice little set up for my quiver of stoves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBHOSscCRY4

SWODaddy
06-29-2016, 07:27
Looks like the Esbit Cook Set, though the Alocs kit appears to be significantly more expensive?

Jaxx
06-29-2016, 08:23
[QUOTE=SWODaddy;2077801]Looks like the Esbit Cook Set, though the Alocs kit appears to be significantly more expensive?

Other than the base they look almost exactly the same. Lowest price I'm seeing though is the Esbit stove is 36.99 on Amazon and free shipping with prime . If you didn't mind the frying pan, then looks like you can get a flat lid one for about 17.00 dollars . I do like the fact you can use Esbit with it though. I know the ALocs you can use it for wood burning. not sure if there is enough room for wood burning with the Esbit version. Do you have any experience with that?

-Rush-
06-29-2016, 11:15
I was sent this the other day and I actually thought it might be junk but for the price, it turned out to be a pretty cool little cook set. The price at gearbest is 36.15 with free shipping. That being said I wouldn't take it on a thru-hike because of the weight but it's still a nice little set up for my quiver of stoves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBHOSscCRY4

I have their alcohol stove setup. The alcohol stove is heavy compared to others, and it wasn't super efficient with fuel. The sealing lid and snuffer are nice options. It works nicely for what it is. That set looks pretty cool.

bikebum1975
06-30-2016, 12:49
I have the stove myself as stated above it's alright I'd take my trangia over it. Wonder if the cookset would work with an army sized trangia or rather svea brand from the Swedish army kit

Jaxx
06-30-2016, 17:56
I have the stove myself as stated above it's alright I'd take my trangia over it. Wonder if the cookset would work with an army sized trangia or rather svea brand from the Swedish army kit

I have no idea about the army sized Trangia .My Trangia fits inside the hole on the cookset. I haven't run the Alocs stove against the Trangia yet. I do know the Alocs is lighter and the burn times are consistent with My trangia , I did not test fuel consumption between the two but I will .

lyagooshka
06-30-2016, 19:08
Looks like the Esbit Cook Set, though the Alocs kit appears to be significantly more expensive?

I thought the same.
Also, if I am not mistaken, the Esbit has a solid fuel option.
Both look nice.
I think one advantage of this versus something like a Jet boil (at least for me) is that you can take it (and the fuel) on a plane.
Can't take compressed fuel, but a bottle of ETOH is allowed in checked luggage (I think).

Alex