PDA

View Full Version : Have yet to see a thread...

lilgodwin
06-29-2016, 11:06
About activities along the AT, and probably for good reason. But I have to ask.

Are there any notable spots for activities such as swimming, rock climbing or bouldering? Preferably the latter.

I'm mostly interested in the southern half, as that's what I intend to hike this fall. But I'm not limited to only hearing about the southern half.

To my understanding, what I can expect is to, excuse the word, "just" hike the AT. No doubt there are some wonderful sights, and I expect that from time to time there will be a few trails that branch off from the AT that are a must-hike for even more spectacular views.

By no means does this not excite me. I'm eager to get on the AT. But it's something that's crossed my mind, and I have to ask.

It would be nice if there were some pretty cool bouldering at various spots. Which, if that was the case, I'd be willing attach my climbing shoes to the outside of my pack. I could see myself cutting a day short to stick around a good bouldering spot for an hour. Obviously anything more than bouldering would require more gear, so that's not as much of an interest.

Just curious... Thanks!

SteelCut
06-29-2016, 11:20
Bouldering at Grayson Highlands.

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/grayson-highlands-state-park/106477419
https://graysonhighlandsbouldering.com/

lilgodwin
06-29-2016, 11:20
Adding ideas to see if it sparks anything. But maybe a cave to explore just off the beaten path.

Gambit McCrae
06-29-2016, 11:36
Swimming spots:
Elk River north of 19E
Laurel Falls
Pigeon River North of GSMNP
French broad River Hot Springs
Nolichucky River Erwin
New River Pearisburg VA

Kayaking in NOC

No caves that I know of

Bicycle rentals:
Damascus - Creeper Trail
Cades Cove Campground (5 mile hike down from Russell Field) Poor resupply.

-Rush-
06-29-2016, 11:36
There's plenty of creeks to take a swim in if you can stand the temps. There are rivers too. Plenty of rocks to boulder over in PA. There are cool views all along the trail, and most, but not all are marked with a blue blaze. One of the best things you can do is mine others for info when you're on the trail. Ask them about what's coming up. Talk to fellow hikers, trail angels, and locals. You'd be surprised how much info they have that's not in the books.

lilgodwin
06-29-2016, 14:32
Awesome! Thanks for the responses so far, exactly what I was looking for.

I read up on that bouldering location. Seems like they've been closing off some of the more popular ones. Temporarily? But still seems like more than plenty for a good fine.

Diamondlil
06-29-2016, 15:58
If you haven't loaded GUTHOOKS into your mobile device check it out. It has a lot of user input about areas in the AT, blue blazes, places of interest etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teacher & Snacktime
06-29-2016, 16:33
Not quite what you asked for, but Nantahala Outdoor Center has white water rafting and zip lines. Both are loads of fun.

lilgodwin
06-29-2016, 16:43
I haven't really used it, but I did download the Guthook app awhile back. I just downloaded quite a few more various apps to go through.

Great info Teach! While you're right, I didn't specifically ask for that, I will certainly look into it. That is the type of thing I'm interested in. I just like to get as many different experiences in as possible, within reason. So if time permits, and I'm making good headway, I'd love to spend a half day on a river and cruising some zip lines.

Teacher & Snacktime
06-29-2016, 21:22
I haven't really used it, but I did download the Guthook app awhile back. I just downloaded quite a few more various apps to go through.

Great info Teach! While you're right, I didn't specifically ask for that, I will certainly look into it. That is the type of thing I'm interested in. I just like to get as many different experiences in as possible, within reason. So if time permits, and I'm making good headway, I'd love to spend a half day on a river and cruising some zip lines.

Glad to be of help. One of our favorite parts about the NOC is that it is literally on the trail, so you're part of the hiking community even when you're taking a break from it!

rocketsocks
06-30-2016, 10:22
About activities along the AT, and probably for good reason. But I have to ask.

Are there any notable spots for activities such as swimming, rock climbing or bouldering? Preferably the latter.

I'm mostly interested in the southern half, as that's what I intend to hike this fall. But I'm not limited to only hearing about the southern half.

To my understanding, what I can expect is to, excuse the word, "just" hike the AT. No doubt there are some wonderful sights, and I expect that from time to time there will be a few trails that branch off from the AT that are a must-hike for even more spectacular views.

By no means does this not excite me. I'm eager to get on the AT. But it's something that's crossed my mind, and I have to ask.

It would be nice if there were some pretty cool bouldering at various spots. Which, if that was the case, I'd be willing attach my climbing shoes to the outside of my pack. I could see myself cutting a day short to stick around a good bouldering spot for an hour. Obviously anything more than bouldering would require more gear, so that's not as much of an interest.

Just curious... Thanks!you can also aqua blaze...take a canoe ride.

lilgodwin
06-30-2016, 10:34
Not familiar with that, but I'll look it up. Ant particular locations? If it's not out of the way, if might be nice to rest the feet and work the arms a bit more for a change.