PDA

View Full Version : Water sources: Stecoah Gap to Fontanta Lake

lkmi
06-29-2016, 16:59
We'll be hiking that in a week or so... anyone been out lately in that area? How's the water looking?

Given it's North Carolina and the summer, I figure we'll need to top up every chance we get. But recent reports would be most appreciated...

Thanks...

-Rush-
06-30-2016, 14:56
There's a piped source about .2 down the road and then into the forest from Stechoa Gap. Brown Fork and Cable Gap sources were fine when I passed through in May. There's water at Fontana Marina. Stechoa to Fontana is about 15 miles, so I think you'll be fine.

lkmi
06-30-2016, 17:54
Thank you.

daddytwosticks
07-01-2016, 07:16
I have been holding off on commenting since I do not have any personal first hand experience...but here goes:

Western NC is in a moderate drought. You probably know this living nearby in Charlotte. I just saw something on the Weather Channel and I think North Georgia is worse than the "moderate" rating. We need some good rain. The local creeks and rivers down here in the valley are very low. I assume up in the mountains, many water sources are going to start getting iffy, if not already. I'd tank up at every available water source and maybe carry a bit more while hiking too. Good luck on your hike. :)

SteelCut
07-01-2016, 11:07
Western NC is in a moderate drought.

Here is a good graphic demonstrating this.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/data/pdfs/20160628/20160628_usdm.pdf

Fireplug
07-02-2016, 13:00
I just hiked that last week ( Neels Gap to Fontana Dam ). The 3 shelters you will pass or stay at have very reliable water sources. Also there are a few streams that have water flowing. You should have no water issues.

lkmi
07-03-2016, 13:05
Thanks for the info, folks.