PDA

View Full Version : Monarch crest doesn't sell stove fuel any recs??

saltysack
06-29-2016, 18:03
Was planning to resupply at MPHS and monarch crest via mailed pkg. After calling both to verify I found out neither sell alchy or heet. MPHS sells canisters only while Monarch sells neither. I realize you can't mail fuel in your package....any ideas? I guess worse case I can just carry my canister stove witch should last for the 10 day trip as I'm only boiling 2-3 cups of water per day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hikeandbike5
06-29-2016, 18:37
you'll have plenty.

lonehiker
06-29-2016, 18:38
You can mail canister fuel ground mail if properly labeled.

lonehiker
06-29-2016, 18:39
Disregard. I see you have solved your problem.

lonehiker
06-29-2016, 18:41
Why couldn't you just carry enough alcohol for entire trip. Should only be 10 - 11 ounces.

swjohnsey
06-29-2016, 18:47
Nobody checks what you mail.

saltysack
06-29-2016, 18:58
Monarch requires UPS...ill check their requirements...trying to keep my load as light as possible. I'm hoping to hitch from monarch into Salida if timing is ok where surely I could buy fuel. I'm planning to mail resupply to monarch incase I'm running behind I'll skip the Salida stop...trying to decide which stove would be more efficient as I'll only be heating water 1-2 times per day.

saltysack
06-29-2016, 19:00
Nobody checks what you mail.

With all the crazy $hit happening around the world I'm not taking any chances not declaring flammables!

colorado_rob
06-29-2016, 19:09
Should I beat Mags to the punch?

It has been mighty dry out here, they occasionally ban stoves that cannot be turned off, like Alchy stoves.

Not sure about your canister stove, but mine ( a jetboil) will last a week on a small canister (4 oz fuel, 7+ oz total), heating 6-7 cups a day.

saltysack
06-29-2016, 19:21

It has been mighty dry out here, they occasionally ban stoves that cannot be turned off, like Alchy stoves.

Not sure about your canister stove, but mine ( a jetboil) will last a week on a small canister (4 oz fuel, 7+ oz total), heating 6-7 cups a day.

If that's the case I'll just bring the canister...SP lite max.. It's pretty efficient. Worst case I'll bring a few esbit tabs for if I run out....

saltysack
06-29-2016, 19:23

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160629/0d82e3b6989494773486ff49a3ad154e.jpg

Venchka
06-29-2016, 19:23
According to Internet radar it's raining all over the mountains from Leadville to Silverton.
Weather report done.
Fuel: Rob's right. Just take a canister stove. You're a strong hiker. Even if you carry a an extra small canister you'll be fine.
Have a great hike.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Venchka
06-29-2016, 22:59
Ok, I missed the photo above. I remember that stove. Don't you have time to do a number of boils test? I don't see the problem.
Wayne

saltysack
06-29-2016, 23:22
Ok, I missed the photo above. I remember that stove. Don't you have time to do a number of boils test? I don't see the problem.
Wayne

Yea will do. It's hard to get real results at 90* temps @ sea level. I'll most likely bring this stove with a partial canister for first 3 days since not planning on cooking much at first as plan to eat cheese/summer sausage and crackers for first 2-3 nights, only heat water for coffee. I'll buy a fresh 110 canister at MPHS, should be sufficient for last 7 days. I'm getting tired of having a drawer full of partial canisters! Seems like a lot of waste....♻️

MuddyWaters
06-30-2016, 04:37
Only boiling 2 cups once per day, little 110gm cannister lasts me~ 20 days.

No one says you have to boil cold water, water youve been carrying for hrs and is warm works too. I use that water usually to cook, and drink colder fresh water , if have choice..

saltysack
06-30-2016, 06:55

No one says you have to boil cold water, water youve been carrying for hrs and is warm works too. I use that water usually to cook, and drink colder fresh water , if have choice..

Good point...didn't think about that.

Venchka
07-01-2016, 21:34
I'll most likely bring this stove with a partial canister for first 3 days...

How are you traveling? Canister on a plane?
Wayne

Venchka
07-01-2016, 21:37

Obviously I have a dog of a stove. I just did a test of 5 - 2 cup boils. Cold water. Used 9 grams per boil. What stove are you using?
Wayne

MuddyWaters
07-01-2016, 21:47
Obviously I have a dog of a stove. I just did a test of 5 - 2 cup boils. Cold water. Used 9 grams per boil. What stove are you using?
Wayne

I bets you was boiling it too fast.
Turn it down, way down, like alcohol down so it takes 8 minutes to boil
and use a tight windscreen around bottom of pot, like in saltys picture a few posts above
I get 0.18 oz/boil (5.1 g) doing that. Almost as good as jetboils 0.15oz, just a lot slower.
but then again, im in no hurry, and my pot and stove only weighs 2 oz togther, whereas a jetboil weighs a lot more.

In the field I usually am boiling only 1.5-1.75 cups as well, not a full 2 cups. 3/4 of recommended water usually works better for many freezer bag, too much comes out runny. can always add more cold water if its a little too thick, helps cool it down to eating temp too.

Venchka
07-01-2016, 21:50
Thanks. I'll give it a try. 8 minutes. Hey? [emoji1][emoji41]
Wayne

MuddyWaters
07-01-2016, 21:58
Dont underestimate the difference that tight screen around bottom makes . Just like with alcohol, it traps heat .

Venchka
07-01-2016, 22:12
Got it. I believe you.
Wayne

saltysack
07-01-2016, 23:03
How are you traveling? Canister on a plane?
Wayne

Daaaaa your correct.....I wasn't thinking. I'll be buying a fresh canister in Co. As muddy said I'll hope it last 10 dsys,,,.maybe a few esbit for back up.

Dogwood
07-02-2016, 17:37
You can mail canister fuel ground mail if properly labeled.

This or there's a Outfitter centralized in Salida that sells cans OR on the way into Salida at a 3 Way on the main roads there's a convenience store that likely has HEET.

Dogwood
07-02-2016, 17:40
Might luck out finding HEET or partial can at Twin Lakes too. I'm sure one could find HEET at MPHS.

Venchka
07-02-2016, 17:50
How much does 1 full 110 gram canister weigh? Is it guaranteed to last 10 days? Using it on chilly mornings?
I've got a Primus winter blend full 230 gram canister in my hand and it weighs 379 grams. Problem solved. No worries about if/when the 110 gram canister will run out.
Disclaimer: I'm unfit to live with without my morning coffee. I can't even stand me. therefore, running out of fuel is never an option. And I am seriously considering carrying propane on the trail in place of Coleman fuel. I know, I can't believe I'm contemplating this either.
Wayne

saltysack
07-02-2016, 23:10
How much does 1 full 110 gram canister weigh? Is it guaranteed to last 10 days? Using it on chilly mornings?
I've got a Primus winter blend full 230 gram canister in my hand and it weighs 379 grams. Problem solved. No worries about if/when the 110 gram canister will run out.
Disclaimer: I'm unfit to live with without my morning coffee. I can't even stand me. therefore, running out of fuel is never an option. And I am seriously considering carrying propane on the trail in place of Coleman fuel. I know, I can't believe I'm contemplating this either.
Wayne

Im the same way...can't function with out it!...actually just mixed carnation instant breakfast with 2 cafe bustello instant expresso packs in my empty Gatorade bottle last year on Jmt to save time in mornings(cold water)...worked great and tastes great...now I only boil for dinner and hot chocolate at night...less hassle...

Venchka
07-03-2016, 14:36
Im the same way...can't function with out it!...actually just mixed carnation instant breakfast with 2 cafe bustello instant expresso packs in my empty Gatorade bottle last year on Jmt to save time in mornings(cold water)...worked great and tastes great...now I only boil for dinner and hot chocolate at night...less hassle...

I'll give that a try. I have the Cafe Bustelo. I cleaned out 2 Target stores to make sure I had coffee for Colorado. I'll get some Instant Breakfast.
Update: I dropped a windscreen around my Peak 1 stove. Fuel consumption dropped 15%. Looking good.
Wayne

Obiwan
09-26-2016, 20:33
You can send canisters UPS ground if you mark it "ORM-D"

Secondmouse
09-27-2016, 11:42
Wayne

9 grams is very respectable for 2 cups of 60* water. to do better I need to use one of the heat exchanger type cups like Jetboil or Olicamp XTS...

Venchka
09-29-2016, 17:53
Thanks. The water was cold, I added ice. I guess the stove is better then I thought.
Wayne