PDA

View Full Version : Warm weather alternative sleeping system

JumpMaster Blaster
06-29-2016, 22:05
Can't wait the 3-4 months to get my EE quilt, too warm for my 20 degree bag, so I'm carrying my Army issued Patrol sleeping bag. It's 38 oz, rated somewhere around 45-50 degrees. No problem there. Then I had an idea-

I have a Sea to Summit Thermolite reactor liner and a very light, $65 down throw/quilt, I guess comparable to the Costco ones. I was thinking about putting that inside the Thermolite liner, or sleeping inside the liner with the down quilt over me. This awesome setup is 25 ounces. It looks like temps at elevation at night will be in the low 60s, maybe going down to 58-59.

Has anyone tried this before? I'd consider bringing a long sleeve shirt or light fleece to stave off any potential evening chill, but definitely sleeping in shorts.

JumpMaster Blaster
06-29-2016, 22:12

I'd say the quilt has 1.25-1.5 inches of loft. Probably 550 down.

Venchka
06-29-2016, 22:34
Why would you need the liner?
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Venchka
06-29-2016, 22:42
EE lists 1" loft = 50 degrees and 1.5" = 40 degrees. Your good with the quilt.
Wayne to

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Studlintsean
06-29-2016, 22:54
I agree with Wayne but it certainly depends on the person. I sweat at 69 degrees in my house with a fan and no covers so im positive I would be warm with that. My wife can sleep fine in a hoody, sweat pants, wool socks and under a comforter at the same temperature so I would guess she would be cold.

AfterParty
06-29-2016, 23:06
That green bag is nice

JumpMaster Blaster
06-30-2016, 01:22
Yeah, but this ISN'T an EE quilt. Like I said, it's a cheap down throw. Comes up to my chest. I figured I'd use the liner to hold everything in.

JumpMaster Blaster
06-30-2016, 01:27
AfterParty- The patrol bag (mine is the newer "urban gray" color) is nice but it weighs more than my 20 degree bag, and almost a full 10 oz more than the propsed setup.

I think I'll give it a try. It'll only be used for two nights on the test run.

Now had this been an overnight trip near my home, I'd just bring the liner. It's after 1 a.m. and it's 73 degrees with 91% humidity. UGH.

egilbe
06-30-2016, 03:32
Yeah, but this ISN'T an EE quilt. Like I said, it's a cheap down throw. Comes up to my chest. I figured I'd use the liner to hold everything in.

The great thing about quilts is tha you can throw it off you if you need to. Im with Wayne. Why do you need the liner? It kind of defeats the entire point of a quilt.

RangerZ
06-30-2016, 06:09
I agree with Wayne but it certainly depends on the person. I sweat at 69 degrees in my house with a fan and no covers so im positive I would be warm with that. My wife can sleep fine in a hoody, sweat pants, wool socks and under a comforter at the same temperature so I would guess she would be cold.

+1. It's a wonder that we had kids.

RangerZ
06-30-2016, 06:14
Can't wait the 3-4 months to get my EE quilt, too warm for my 20 degree bag, so I'm carrying my Army issued Patrol sleeping bag. It's 38 oz, rated somewhere around 45-50 degrees. No problem there. Then I had an idea-

I have a Sea to Summit Thermolite reactor liner and a very light, $65 down throw/quilt, I guess comparable to the Costco ones. I was thinking about putting that inside the Thermolite liner, or sleeping inside the liner with the down quilt over me. This awesome setup is 25 ounces. It looks like temps at elevation at night will be in the low 60s, maybe going down to 58-59.

Has anyone tried this before? I'd consider bringing a long sleeve shirt or light fleece to stave off any potential evening chill, but definitely sleeping in shorts.

What about poncho and liner(s) with long base layer. I have the old ones, not thinsulate, and am good down into the 50s. YMMV.

cmoulder
06-30-2016, 07:18
Lightweight Hiker gear search (https://lwhiker.com/used-gear-search/enlightened-equipment?page=1)

I think you might have to register, but well worth it when looking for camping gear.

I'd try to find a good used Enlightened Equipment quilt — they're out there. Yes, the order lead times for new ones are getting to be insane!:eek:

My 50deg EE Revelation weighs 11.3oz, and the Prodigy 40 (synthetic, Climashield Apex) weighs 17.7oz and is simply the best thing when a lot of rain is expected.

Connie
06-30-2016, 08:19
Since you are already looking at DIY, why not DIY an EE Prodigy using Climashield Apex available from Quest Outfitters and Dutchware fabric, Argon fabric, in particular. Climashield Apex is one of the easiest materials to assemble and sew.

DIY will give you a functional top-quality synthetic quilt.

EE will send you an exquisite quilt, beautifully crafted.

AfterParty
06-30-2016, 08:27
I also love my poncho liner for 60+ I prefer it get a marine one with a zipper.

cmoulder
06-30-2016, 20:25
Since you are already looking at DIY, why not DIY an EE Prodigy using Climashield Apex available from Quest Outfitters and Dutchware fabric, Argon fabric, in particular. Climashield Apex is one of the easiest materials to assemble and sew.

DIY will give you a functional top-quality synthetic quilt.

EE will send you an exquisite quilt, beautifully crafted.

I really wish I could sew and would absolutely learn how to if I had the space for it. I envy those of you who can. Unfortunately, living in a condo imposes some limitations on my strong MYOG impulses! :( But I might yet get a sewing machine and try to make it work.

CoconutTree
07-01-2016, 16:22
You could even use liquid stitch, basically a fabric glue that takes the place of actual sewing, if you don't want to buy a sewing machine. Quilts are very forgiving items to make. Most seams are not stressed and precision isn't important.

JumpMaster Blaster
07-01-2016, 16:44
Connie/ cmoulder-

I'm in a position where I absolutely cannot spend any $ on gear for the next few months, so I'm trying what I already have.

RangerZ- I too have an old poncho liner. I thought about it, going to take it along to see how it does.

RangerZ
07-01-2016, 21:18
Connie/ cmoulder-

I'm in a position where I absolutely cannot spend any $ on gear for the next few months, so I'm trying what I already have.

RangerZ- I too have an old poncho liner. I thought about it, going to take it along to see how it does.

They are are what I use in the summer. I'd die in my 23* bag. They don't compress well. The thermolight ones are probably warmer. My wife calls them my security blankets.

How many times have you put your knees in the breeze?

JumpMaster Blaster
07-02-2016, 01:06

How many times have you put your knees in the breeze?

126. Walked off the DZ 125 times. The one time, not so bueno. To this day it's what I miss most about the Army.

greentick
07-06-2016, 16:39
'cho liner all the way!

egilbe
07-06-2016, 16:51
126. Walked off the DZ 125 times. The one time, not so bueno. To this day it's what I miss most about the Army.

Dirty Nasty leg for life!

JumpMaster Blaster
07-08-2016, 20:27
For the record, the down quilt and the Sea to Summit liner worked great. There was a little chill in the air after it rained and the down inside the liner was just enough to keep me comfortable. Not too hot, not too cold. Super light.

RangerZ
07-12-2016, 21:22
Connie/ cmoulder-

I was in the wilds of western PA at Raccoon Creek State Park ( where I've never seen a raccoon and the creek is Traverse Creek ) this weekend for another night under nylon.

The reported low was in the 60*s. I just used a nylon poncho with one liner and a light wool long base layer and was uncovered most of the night.

I think my standard is: over 70* short base layer, over 60* long base layer, over 50* long base layer plus socks and maybe two liners. Below 50*, my 23* sleeping bag, opened or closed. I was toasty at freezing with the poncho liners as under and over quilts. I was good to 18* last winter with my bag and poncho liners as over and under quilts on my zlite and a roll of reflectix.

YMMV.

I think my jump log is lost to antiquity but I seem to remember 57, many hueys, 141s, 130s, Caribous. My last was a total Hollywood - starched fatigues (not BDUs, ACUs, etc), spit shined Corcorans, etc - from the pod under a CH-54 Sky Crane. Loved to tailgate 130s behind heavy drops.

greentick
07-13-2016, 01:22

Over Kingsley lake by Camp Blanding today. A friend of ours has a house on the lake.

greentick
07-13-2016, 01:28
The 'cho liner tied into a poncho would make upper 30's "survivable" when pulling 50/50 LOL. This with wearing BDUs, the old brown poly-p top, and a wool watch cap. 1990s. Not sure what the current issue liner looks like.

AfterParty
07-13-2016, 08:31
The marine one has a zipper army is same

egilbe
07-13-2016, 08:34
The marine one has a zipper army is same

Old Army poncho liners tied in. They were pretty light.

akamai42
07-13-2016, 23:56
That's the setup I use, here in Texas. The liner keeps my arms close to my body, helps tuck everything in nicely over my sleeping pad and keeps me from throwing the cover off at night. It's light and easy to wash.

Gravytrain
07-16-2016, 10:27
Why not two woobies, sewn together on two sides, and up about 1/2 a third. From there, have a heavy duty zipper sewn in. Pack that and your Gore-Tex bivvy cover from the Army four piece sleep system, and you are golden.

For the untrained masses, a woobie is an Army issue poncho liner, THE single best piece of equipment the military has ever issued. It was ultra-light before the word ultra-light was even invented. And, if you get it wet, spread it out and suspend it for a very little while, and it is dry. My house has no heat (old house) and I used just one woobie as a blanket all winter, even when it dipped into the 20's which is uncommon here.

Gravytrain
07-16-2016, 10:28
My bad, I didn't read all the suggestion before I posted, y'all beat me to it.