PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent: CF vs Aluminun

frontovik193
06-30-2016, 18:07
Hey, do any of you have experience with the carbon fiber ridge pole that comes with the tarptent rainbow? Is it worth the weight savings and extra 30$ for carbon fiber, or would you recommend aluminum as a sturdier altermative?

egilbe
06-30-2016, 18:13
How much is the weight savings?

Franco
06-30-2016, 19:24
The CF pole is stiffer and lighter, by 1 oz or so, but it is also more fragile.
CF should not be dropped/banged/stepped on. (not that you should do that with Al...)
My guess is that most reports on CF poles shattering when set up with the ends correctly inserted* come from having damaged the pole before hand, possibly without realising that or recalling having happened.
*The most common reason for pole failure is not having the ferrule fully inserted into the next section before bending the pole during set up.
The damage on the pole will look like this :
with CF I have seen one that had the last 1/2" of the section snapped off clean. Somehow the customer could not believe that if the 1" or so ferrule was fully inserted it could not have happened...
franco@tarptent

frontovik193
06-30-2016, 20:48
Franco, thank you for the great info. I may go with the aluminum and switch to the CF later on if I feel I need the weight savings

Venchka
06-30-2016, 22:46
Easier and cheaper to just take "1 oz or so" off of you or finally leave some unused stuff at home.
$30 per ounce. Really?

Wayne

Frye
07-09-2016, 16:43
I'm very rough on my gear, and have never broke any of the multiple carbon poles I've had for different shelters.

I forgot who Mr Shires sources his poles from but I had the CF poles for a Moment DW and was very happy with them. Never really had problems with others either, bought a couple from Six Moons Designs, and a few straight from Easton Poles and Fibraplex.

(I'm very indecisive when it comes to trekking poles. Sometimes I love em, sometimes I hate em, so I always try to have alternatives if my shelter allows it.)

Franco
07-09-2016, 20:29
We use Easton poles, the CF are the FX type (0.355) .
Easton have other types too, one much (proportionally) lighter .
franco@tarptent

Connie
07-10-2016, 01:45
I have no experience with CF tent poles.

The fiberglass tent poles were a preference for 4-season mountaineering tents because they were considered better for lightning.

CF, I don't know.

Miles 2 Go
07-15-2016, 15:39
I did not have any problems with my CF pole for my Tarptent Rainbow. Yes it is pricey but as the old saying goes "pounds are cheap, ounces are expensive" and my other favorite on "ounces equal pounds". That being said if your on a budget then no I wouldn't spend an extra $30.00 and use the funds elsewhere. But if you are shaving ounces to try and go lighter then yes spend the extra $30.00