PDA

View Full Version : ULA Circuit

GrizzlyMan89701
06-30-2016, 20:56
Does anyone have any experience with this pack? How robust is the fabric? I like the overall design of the pack however I would like a pack that is capable of surviving multiple thru hikes of long backpacking trips.
-Thanks

egilbe
06-30-2016, 21:00
http://sectionhiker.com/ula-circuit-backpack-review/

didnt do much searching, did ya?

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=10078854

colorado_rob
06-30-2016, 21:43
After a complete AT hike and many other shorter outings over three years, my ULA OHM 2.0 has practically zero signs of wear, except a small hole in the mesh pocket I put there, tearing it on a sharp rock.

I believe the fabric for the Circuit and OHM are identical. I owned both briefly so as to decide between the two. I chose the ohm.

GrizzlyMan89701
06-30-2016, 21:50
Thanks! What made you choose the ohm over the circuit?

GrizzlyMan89701
06-30-2016, 21:51
Well I was hoping to get a more in depth response about what the fabric is like.

Diamondlil
06-30-2016, 22:24
I have the Circuit. It is designed to hold a max of 30lbs. I had mine stuffed at 35, truly overloaded. I hiked 3 weeks 143 miles thru VA. I loved it! It fit well, everything I needed fit perfectly in it, the pockets in the hip belt are a generous size but not bulky. The mesh pocket held my tent, poles, cover and footprint nicely. There are elastic loops in the shoulder straps for 1L smart water bottles to fit and the two side pockets are ample space for anything you need to have quick access to. I liked that it has no zippers to break or snag. The fabric is durable med/heavy rip stop, mine is orange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
07-01-2016, 08:20
Thanks! What made you choose the ohm over the circuit?I like the top closure better, a cinch cord vs. the roll top, plus it's 10-11 ounces lighter. The circuit has a better suspension though. I would only recommend the Ohm if your base weight is in the 10 pound or so base weight (or less). the circuit is probably good to about 30 pounds total, the Ohm about 25. Hopefully the last post answered your fabric question better.

BTW: both the circuit and Ohm have virtually the same volume capacity; when I briefly owned both, I loaded both with an identical kit of gear, which fit into both packs essentially identically.

LucyPattie
07-01-2016, 09:19
I love the the circuit can be customized when ordering (shorter/wider). Its really big and light weight. Def not meant for loads bigger than 30lbs but rides great underneath that threshold. As mentioned the hip belt pockets, along with various loops and straps are helpful. I have the orange and two thumbs up!

GrizzlyMan89701
07-01-2016, 18:55
I like the top closure better, a cinch cord vs. the roll top, plus it's 10-11 ounces lighter. The circuit has a better suspension though. I would only recommend the Ohm if your base weight is in the 10 pound or so base weight (or less). the circuit is probably good to about 30 pounds total, the Ohm about 25. Hopefully the last post answered your fabric question better.

BTW: both the circuit and Ohm have virtually the same volume capacity; when I briefly owned both, I loaded both with an identical kit of gear, which fit into both packs essentially identically.

Alright thanks for all the input everyone. So does the pack have a definite feel of durability? Will I have to baby it?

lonehiker
07-01-2016, 19:01
It is a durable pack. Used mine for years.

MuddyWaters
07-01-2016, 19:20
Alright thanks for all the input everyone. So does the pack have a definite feel of durability? Will I have to baby it?

bottom is cordura. Most is the robic. The black nylon is the wimpy stuff that you could rub a hole thru with sharp edge. You dont need to baby it, you do need to take care of it and treat it with a little respect. With respect, it will last thousands of miles with no problems. Ive owned 3 circuits and an original Ohm. The nylon on the original Ohm was very very thin, it rubbed a few small holes in the side panels with hard objects. This is why the original was lighter than todays. Todays is thicker

bigcranky
07-02-2016, 18:12
I had a Circuit, my hiking partner borrowed it and I didn't get it back. Got another one and abused the &*^ out of it for five years. Talked my wife out of her 4.5 pound Osprey and into a Circuit for a Long Trail thru - she loved it, and both Circuits did fine. Mine finally fell apart after all those years of use, but I would happily recommend the Circuit if it fits your gear. It's a pretty conservative choice for an AT hike -- there are a lot of them on the trail, it holds up well, and has the capacity to carry a standard long distance hiker's load.

If you have lighter gear, the Ohm might be better, but that maxed out for me at under 25 pounds. The Circuit easily carried 30 and even a bit more on occasion.

I replaced my Circuit with a Zpacks Arc Haul.

Namtrag
07-06-2016, 13:56
I just got an Ohm, and it's a lot bigger than I expected based on Shug's videos and pictures I have seen online. It's much bigger than my SMD Fusion 65, which starts just above my butt, and tops out at the bottom of my neck. I am not sure I will be able to fill it. When I got it, I just threw in some handy gear so I could try it on...In the pic below it has inside: 2 tarps, a top quilt and under quilt, 3 hammocks, and a BV450 bear can. In the side pockets, it has a tarp on one side, and a jetboil on the other. I have nothing in the stretchy front pocket. It also appears to be made entirely of robic now. I have seen some that look like they have silnylon for side panels, but mine is all robic.

Venchka
07-06-2016, 17:34
Well, I bought a Catalyst recently and I think it is a lot smaller than advertised. The Catalyst might benefit from the cinch cords up the sides IF they were strong enough to work.
The Catalyst isn't even close to all Robic.
The so called stretchy front pocket doesn't stretch much. The shock cord is too flimsy to be effective.
Worst of all: If you fill the main bag the pockets are useless. If you fill the pockets, the main bag suffers.
In summary, my 1974 Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen pack is listed as several liters smaller but holds more stuff better then the Catalyst. The two removable pockets actually work and don't intrude on the body of the main pack. It is also the same empty weight as the Catalyst.
Once again, new isn't always better.

Wayne

Venchka
07-06-2016, 23:39
Well, I bought a Catalyst recently and I think it is a lot smaller than advertised. The Catalyst might benefit from the cinch cords up the sides IF they were strong enough to work.
The so called stretchy front pocket doesn't stretch much. The shock cord is too flimsy to be effective.
Worst of all: If you fill the main bag the pockets are useless. If you fill the pockets, the main bag suffers.
In summary, my 1974 Rivendell Mountain Works Jensen pack is listed as several liters smaller but holds more stuff better then the Catalyst. The two removable pockets actually work and don't intrude on the body of the main pack. It is also the same empty weight as the Catalyst.

Wayne

In fairness to ULA, I need to update my opinion of the ULA Catalyst after actually using it instead of just trying to figure out how to load it.
4.67 miles / 1:42 / 569' Elev. Gain / 31+ pounds / 95 degrees / 40% humidity.
The Catalyst carries 32-33 pounds very well. Assuming you can figure out how to get your stuff in the Catalyst.
Too soon to tell about durability.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

MuddyWaters
07-07-2016, 00:15
In fairness to ULA, I need to update my opinion of the ULA Catalyst after actually using it instead of just trying to figure out how to load it.
4.67 miles / 1:42 / 569' Elev. Gain / 31+ pounds / 95 degrees / 40% humidity.
The Catalyst carries 32-33 pounds very well. Assuming you can figure out how to get your stuff in the Catalyst.
Too soon to tell about durability.
Wayne

Dont understand your pocket comments.
Side pockets are water bottle pockets, should hold a liter bottle with bag packed. Thats what they are intended for, not stuffing tents and things in. If you are trying to put larger items in, yeah, you might lose ability as you pack the pack, but again, not what its really intended for. But ive seen cook kits, sleep pads, tarps, tents, you name it. Really, those items belong in pack, people should get a pack they can fit their gear....INSIDE of.

If you overstuff main bag, you wont get much in mesh pocket, very true. And vice versa. That was great thing about the stretch pocket ohm used to have, it was fragile, but could stuff an 8" dia tent in it with bag fully packed . they lost access to that stretch fabric I recall, dont know if got it back.

First thing I do is take off shock cord. Just in way. Really really in way.
If someone cant figure out how to get stuff in, they got too much stuff Id say.:) At least for a lightweight class pack.

Venchka
07-07-2016, 00:27
Thanks. It's always a pleasure.
Wayne

Namtrag
07-07-2016, 10:13
The Ohm is back to stretchy mesh, not quite as stretchy as the older ones, but plenty stretchy. I have never understood why they don't use stretchy mesh on all their packs. The side pockets on the Ohm hold a lot of gear, so I think they are the exception to the 1 liter bottle thing. I believe you could easily put 2 1-liter Nalgene bottles in each pocket. I can't speak to the Circuit or the Catalyst as I have never really looked at one closely.

MuddyWaters
07-07-2016, 10:24
A lot ask for the stretchy mesh custom, its just prone to snag and get holes if bushwhack. My ohm has a few small snags. Was never a big deal.

Namtrag
07-07-2016, 11:46
this guy just did a review of the catalyst vs the ohm...the mesh in the catalyst looks stretchy and the pockets look pretty large to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwdQyxapMl0

I am doing a good job of hijacking this thread, aren't I? lol

Mags
07-07-2016, 13:16
Others have reported that ULA will, for a small fee, add a robic pocket vs the mesh. I wish I had thought of that as mesh can problematic for bushwhacking (vs off-trail hiking).

Great packs. Great customer service, too.

saltysack
07-08-2016, 09:34

Wayne

Damn Wayne...what the he!! Are you carrying???? I love my smaller circuit...actually was too big after I paired down my gear to things I really needed and used...just bought a GG gorilla 40l to try on collegiate loop as we're on sale $199.00....after packing with all my stuff for 5 days still have plenty of room....I don't have a UL tent or bag..even with a 2lb 15* marmot helium bag, 2lb solong 6, loaded food bag cloths,dogs down bag,food and fleece also!!! Still not crammed and under 25lbs..

Venchka
07-08-2016, 11:23
Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Not sure what it is.
Wayne

saltysack
07-08-2016, 11:32
Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Not sure what it is.
Wayne

Doubt it....if your old and slow your definitely smarter than me!!!! Are you using a compactor bag instead of stuff sacks?

Namtrag
07-08-2016, 11:53
Part of how I fit so much now vs before is I just stuff my loose quilts and my down jacket in first into the trash compactor bag, then add my clothes bag and hammock. Twist the compactor bag leftover length into an elephant trunk and tuck it. Then on top, put the food and toiletry bags and my everything (miscellaneous stuff) bag on top of compactor bag. Close the top of the pack...Then, cook kit in one side pocket, and tarp in the other (or if it's dry, I can just put it in my pack with the food bag). Water bottles will also fit in side pockets, but I plan on using the water bottle holders on the shoulder straps instead. Rain jacket, rain kilt, stakes, bug spray, saw, the day's lunch, knife, etc will be in the stretch mesh pocket. I am going to really have to cinch the Ohm down to compress this load, as it nowhere near fills the pack. If I use a Bear Vault, it will fill it up pretty good on the inside. Like I said, a Catalyst seems like it would be overkill, unless you were doing a winter trip, or needed to carry a lot of water ala PCT or desert situations.

Willem
07-13-2016, 03:28
Can you tell the differances in feel, how it carries? Is it flexable like the circuit e.g does it move with your hips.
What about durability of the material and manufacturing?

Regards

Willem

Willem
07-13-2016, 03:33
The above questions are about the arch haul

mankind117
07-13-2016, 09:24
Go with Element Horizons or seekoutside
http://www.elementalhorizons.com/
https://seekoutside.com/
sorry but ULA packs are not comfortable. I just don't understand the love for them. The catalyst was the most uncomfortable pack I have used. The two brands I mentioned are much much more comfortable.

Namtrag
07-13-2016, 10:24
you left out the words "to me" after not comfortable and more comfortable.

mankind117
07-13-2016, 12:00
No I didn't, the ULA catalyst (I had almost 400 miles on it and I tried a circuit which is quite similar) has a poorly thought out suspension and I'm sticking to this. Basically on both you have 1 or 2 stay(s) and back panel that narrow down to a very hard lumbar pad that is at most 4 inches wide, now the padding on the hip belt does not fully wrap to the lumbar pad, there is a couple inch gap that has no padding, and is much thinner than the lumbar pad. The result is that you basically have all the weight focused on the small of your back by this very stiff uncomfortable lumbar pad. The weight does not get nicely distributed all around your hips.
This is in stark contrast to the two packs I mentioned.
Seekoutside is an external frame (but a new twist on it that carries better than almost all internal frames) where the frame hangs from the belt hence you have no lumbar pad at all, leaving the weight distributed all around your hips. Likewise, the elemental horizon has a full wrap hip belt with almost not extra padding in the lumbar region which allows the belt to hip your whole hips rather than just falling in small area on your bad like the catalyst or circuit.

Sorry just don't get all the love for ULA

MuddyWaters
07-13-2016, 13:36
Sorry just don't get all the love for ULA

If you didnt bend circuit stay to match your back, its no wonder. If you do that it literally fits like a glove.

mankind117
07-13-2016, 13:57
Um, yeah I realize you need to bend it. That was not the issue with the catalyst/circuit, the issue was that the hipbelt/lumbar pad connection and area was poorly thought out.

DuneElliot
07-13-2016, 16:56
I agree with Namtrag on this...just because it doesn't work for you and you found it uncomfortable doesn't mean that it is for others. I have a ZPacks Arc Haul which hundreds of people love but I'm finding that it doesn't work for me, comfort-wise. That doesn't mean it isn't comfortable for the majority of others but experience doesn't mean the pack is uncomfortable in general.

MuddyWaters
07-13-2016, 18:30
I agree with Namtrag on this...just because it doesn't work for you and you found it uncomfortable doesn't mean that it is for others. I have a ZPacks Arc Haul which hundreds of people love but I'm finding that it doesn't work for me, comfort-wise. That doesn't mean it isn't comfortable for the majority of others but experience doesn't mean the pack is uncomfortable in general.

I think joe took step backward with lower crossbar and heavier pack and pad to carry more weight.

DuneElliot
07-13-2016, 18:44
I think joe took step backward with lower crossbar and heavier pack and pad to carry more weight.

The lower cross bar is exactly where I'm having problems.

Namtrag
07-14-2016, 10:07
I think the SMD fusion 65 I have is constructed very much the way you describe, and I love having most of the weight on the center of my lower back. That's where I am the strongest, and it's not in the least bit uncomfortable. So again, to each his own. I never say to anyone that any pack should not be considered just because I have a problem with it. Each person has to try on packs with real loads and find the one that fits them best.

Lane47
08-17-2016, 10:05
You can justify most anything that you own!
If you are unable to achieve a proper fit with ULA, it's because you didn't put enough effort into the process.
first, contact them, provide all the measurements they request, I provided 6 different measurements, plus my estimated pack load in both weight and volume.
i have a pack that fits great, and will last. I could have accomplished this with a few others, I picked ULA based on input from several other individual. The one individual above is the only negative comment I have read.