PDA

View Full Version : Grand Teton National Park

Gambit McCrae
07-01-2016, 14:20
All of my hiking experience has been on the AT, Kentucky, TN or Georgia. I decided today that I need to broaden my experience level to the west. I know nothing about it, but I know I have all the gear needed to do a trip to Grand Teton National Park.

If folks could ramble about anything from what time of year is best, to do you need a down puffy year round, a thick down or light down?

Tarptent Strato2 appropriate or do I need the Hilleberg with guy lines?

Daily mileages compared to enjoying 15-20 mile days on the AT?

Bear awareness, canisters (required or recommended)?

I am looking at the Grand Teton Crest Trail, I think it is 40 miles? but I would probably try and find a 20 mile loop to add to that The landscape looks like something you could most definitely do 8 miles a day and enjoy the views.

Just looking for an abundance of knowledge to educate myself

colorado_rob
07-01-2016, 14:34
I'd go no earlier than mid-late August, bugs should be gone by then. definitely a light down (or synthetic) sweater/jacket for evenings and mornings along with a rain shell and pants.

Just FWIW, I'd consider doing something close but not in GTNP, like for example, Cirque of the towers area:

http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/cirque-of-the-towers-3-day-backpacking-loop-wind-river-wy

I've yet to do this hike specifically, though I have been in this area a couple times, incredible area. also: I believe the grizzly bear habitat has shrunk such that this would not be a worry like it might be in GTNP.

I love GTNP, mostly to climb, but I just don't want to backpack there (unless it's on a long climb).

colorado_rob
07-01-2016, 14:36
On yeah, generally easy terrain compared to the PUD's of the AT. Also, a tad lower altitudes than Colorado, though you still might have a bit of acclimation to deal with.

Gambit McCrae
07-01-2016, 14:58
Just FWIW, I'd consider doing something close but not in GTNP, like for example, Cirque of the towers area:

http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/cirque-of-the-towers-3-day-backpacking-loop-wind-river-wy

I love GTNP, mostly to climb, but I just don't want to backpack there (unless it's on a long climb).

Why something close but not in GTNP?

Pringles
07-01-2016, 15:05
I loved the Teton Crest Trail. The scenery was stunning. I did it in late July, and the wildflowers were incredible. As Colorado_Rob says, you may have to deal with some acclimatization. If you just want a first western hike, that would be awesome!

Studlintsean
07-01-2016, 15:11

I was in the same boat last year and I am heading to the Wind River Range in late August this year (6 weeks from tomorrow). We chose the WRR vs Tetons because of the permits and designated campsites required for the Tetons. We are doing 6 days in the WRR with a general route but we are free to deviate as much as we would like which is what we wanted for our first week long trip out west. I will be sure to post a trip report when we get back.

swisscross
07-01-2016, 15:12

The crowds!

Studlintsean
07-01-2016, 15:12
Info on backcountry camping here:

https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/back.htm

Dogwood
07-01-2016, 16:33
All of my hiking experience has been on the AT, Kentucky, TN or Georgia. I decided today that I need to broaden my experience level to the west. I know nothing about it, but I know I have all the gear needed to do a trip to Grand Teton National Park.

If folks could ramble about anything from what time of year is best, to do you need a down puffy year round, a thick down or light down?

I am looking at the Grand Teton Crest Trail, I think it is 40 miles? but I would probably try and find a 20 mile loop to add to that The landscape looks like something you could most definitely do 8 miles a day and enjoy the views.

GOOD for you. Many ways to add on 20-60 miles to a Teton Crest Tr hike. You're in the midst of not only Grand Teton NP but also near Wind River Range, Yellowstone NP, Gros Venture Wilderness, Caribou-Targhee Nat Forest, etc. There are different ways to get up to the crest too, some requiring an additional 10 miles or so or maybe even none at all if you get up to the crest by taking the tram from Jackson Hole. So lots of ways to design your specific distance desired to hike. As Francis Tapon "The Onion" inspired me I too chose to add a Grand Teton NP onto a CDT SOBO thru. It's not difficult hiking from say Yellowstone NP around Shoshone Lake down the Bechler River TR(Lots of neet waterfalls, hot soaks) to Grassy Lake Rd(stopping by Union Falls, Y NP's highest waterfall) to get a canister a Flagg Ranch and picking up the Teton Crest Tr from the north side by hiking through Caribou Targhee Nat Forest to attain the crest.

Here's a map of the Teton Crest Trail system within GT NP. http://overlandundersea.com/travel-blog/backpacking-the-teton-crest-trail/

Yes, can needed for the TCT. Remember this is Grizz country too. Cans can be rented at other GT NP Backcountry Offices( Jenny Lake, etc)

The Teton Crest Trail is alpine country meaning unpredictable weather. It has snowed on me in August.

I've pulled walk up permits for the Teton Crest Tr in late July and mid Aug(BUSY season) from Jenny Lake with little fanfare so don't let the naysayers say it's crowded or hard to get permits particularly if you're amendable to various campsite scenarios and adjusting your most desired agenda. Should go without saying but getting permits for the TCT should be approached by you having various alternate scenarios already researched BEFORE heading to get the permit.

Dogwood
07-01-2016, 16:37
As typical in most NPs the crowds for the large part are kept on a short leash tethered to conveniences like ferries, automobiles, buffets, etc, whatever is the easiest. Get away from the front country much less demand from crowds.

colorado_rob
07-01-2016, 18:03
Why something close but not in GTNP?somewhat the crowds, but mostly because I like backpacking in the winds better, it's just darn spectacular, the best in NW Wyoming. Nothing at all wrong with GTNP though, I just prefer the winds. If you choose GTNP, you will fight crowds getting into the park and so forth, but once on the trail, no biggie. The gros ventre area is cool and all but not really spectacular like the winds and GTNP.

Looks like grizzly habitat has re-expanded down into the winds, seems like just 10 years ago or so they were never seen there, now apparently they have. Practice excellent bear discipline! I'd personally carry spray. Grizzly's are the only wild animal that concerns me anywhere in the US. From this site:

http://www.backcountrychronicles.com/grizzly-bear-distribution/

"Grizzly bears are expanding outwards from Yellowstone and have moved down the Wind River and Wyoming ranges, Further south than Lander Wyoming"

Wherever you wind up, you can't go wrong in central and NW Wyoming.

DuneElliot
07-01-2016, 18:54
I live in Wyoming and your Strato 2 will be just fine. I would echo the late July to late August timing suggestion also.

I would go camping in any Wyoming mountain region without at least a 20°F sleeping bag and a good pad. I have seen it freeze in mid August at 9000 ft. A decent but not huge down jacket is a must as evenings/nights/early mornings are routinely in the high 30s and low 40s.

GTNP requires bear canisters. The WRR does not. Yellowstone does not, but does require you to hang food bags. I wouldn't want to mess with the Grizzlies.

Teton is gorgeous but I get nervous in Grizzly country so I stick with the Big Horns which are off most people's radars! In fact I start the 55+ mile loop of the Cloud Peak wilderness next Thursday :-)

lonehiker
07-01-2016, 18:55
The Winds are arguably the best backpacking in the lower 48.

lonehiker
07-01-2016, 18:59
Dune, did we discuss the guidebook I have for the Solitude Loop trail, by Bonney & Bonney? It is the best, and most accurate, description of the route.

Venchka
07-01-2016, 19:21
Hmmmm....
July, August, September. All good. Gets better each month. Labor Day all the Griswolds leave. Best time but you miss the wildflowers.
TCT:
A link above mentioned permits for specific campsites. Yes and no. Some segments are areas where the Rangers send X number of people and find your own spot. Not all of the trail is in the Park.
Rent bear cans? Maybe. I thought the Park provided them along with ice axes if needed. Check all of this with the Backcountry Office verbally before you get there. After the 1st of September I don't think a walk up permit will be difficult. I would not reserve a trip unless I had a very limited schedule during peak season. Heck, it could rain on your reserved days. Bummer.
Definitely allow a few days for day hiking and check out the Backcountry Office.
"Snowed on in August". Who hasn't? That's why I go. Rarely over 1-3 inches. Here today. Gone tomorrow. A non-issue.
While freak light snow in summer happens occasionally, nighttime temps in the 20s are more regular the latter you go.
I never go to the Rockies without my down vest and hood Gore-Tex parka. Seasonal layers to suit the calendar. Think Roan Highlands Grayson Highlands in late March. Daytime temps can get to 80 and change.
I've got some links stashed away I'll share when I get to the computer.
Congratulations. You won't regret going West.
Do not overlook Yellowstone.
A lot of good Wyoming trip reports here:
www.backcountry.com
One more thing:
I've never been rained on in the Tetons. I've always seen some rain in Yellowstone. Go figure.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

DuneElliot
07-01-2016, 20:48
Dune, did we discuss the guidebook I have for the Solitude Loop trail, by Bonney & Bonney? It is the best, and most accurate, description of the route.

We did. I am familiar with most of the routes into the wilderness so with the map, the Falcon guide and my current experience I should be good.

Wil
07-01-2016, 22:40
The Winds are arguably the best backpacking in the lower 48.Doing that 10 days starting August 1. Have the maps and a few books and starting to dive into the research. Online info seems more fragmented and sketchily anecdotal than for many of the areas I've backpacked in, hard to get a handle. Most of the descriptions, for example, talk about rocky trails but most of the pictures I see even on the ascents show nice dirt paths. That's what I'm used to from, say: Glacier, the Tetons, Maroon Bells; as opposed to say the White Mountains in New Hampshire (now THAT's rocky!)

Venchka
07-01-2016, 22:42
My link above is just a gear shop.
It should be:
www.backcountrypost.com
And this about the Teton Crest Trail.
http://www.awayfromthegrind.com/hiking/leapfrogging-the-teton-crest/
Enjoy!
Wayne

hobby
07-02-2016, 01:51

Hiked Teton Crest trail about 4 years ago. Hammocked every night, but a couple 'on the ground' due to lack of trees. We took 5 nights to go from the top of the Tram to Jenny Lake. Carried down vest, fleece top and rain coat and pants for warmth. We had to turn around due to a late afternoon thunderstorm at Lake Solitude
The altitude is an issue. (but so is age, lol) Don't plan on making the miles that you do on the AT. Enjoy the scenery!
Hiking in the west is different from the AT. Warm and low humidity during the day. (hydrate) It cools off quickly at sundown (due to low humidity) and warms up quickly in the morning. We had snow flurries in early September, but does not feel as cold as the east.
The night sky is unbelievable! If you have never been in high altitude, low humidity, away from light pollution, conditions.....you will be mesmerized by the amount of stars, planets, and satellites that you will see.
Any hike in the west is awesome! Winds, Glacier, Yellowstone, Sawtooths, Bob Marshall, Rocky Mtns Nat park,Selway, Teton Crest, Salmon River, Loon Creek .... you can't go wrong. They are all great!
I prefer not hiking in National Parks, due to regulations, but some of the best hikes have been in NP's. I prefer Wilderness Areas,
but will be hiking Olympic NP in August.
Bear canisters were required on the Teton Crest, but I believe they were issued by the park service free (or nominal charge).
Have fun on your Teton hike!

Venchka
07-02-2016, 22:29
I doubt that you will need the Hilleberg tent. The SS 2 is quite wind worthy.
Wayne

Slo-go'en
07-03-2016, 10:17
Many years ago when I was in the Tetons, I just camped at Jenny lake and did day hikes for the most part. I think I only did two overnights in the back country when I tried to climb the south Teton. (I got close to the top before it became too technical and too scary to be up there all alone).

I had spent most of the summer wandering around Yellowstone and then hiked down to the Tetons from Old Faithful at the end of the summer just before heading back east. I wish I had known about the crest trail back then, that's when I should have done it.

DandT40
07-16-2016, 07:49
We did the Teton Crest last year around 4th of July and it rained the entire time. The last night we actually cut out a little early because snow was coming. It was some of the best scenery I have ever hiked through, but was some tough conditions. Thankfully at night it dried up every night, but lots of hail, rain, and taking mud.

DandT40
07-16-2016, 07:50
Oops, last line should have read "lots of hail, rain, and taking one step forward and sliding two backwards in the mud."

Venchka
07-16-2016, 18:13
Oops, last line should have read "lots of hail, rain, and taking one step forward and sliding two backwards in the mud."

What's wrong with that? It still beats the best day ever at work or anywhere along or near the Gulf Coast.
Wayne

DuneElliot
07-16-2016, 19:17
What's wrong with that? It still beats the best day ever at work or anywhere along or near the Gulf Coast.
Wayne

I'm personally a fair-weather hiker...can deal with a few storms, but not constant rain. I'd never make it on the AT!

Venchka
07-16-2016, 20:28
I believe I said this in another thread, but here goes...
I've been to GTNP and YNP a half dozen times. I have never been rained on in GTNP. I've seen rain probably 3 times in YNP. None of it heavy or lasting very long.
I guess I'm lucky.
The Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem is not to be missed. Don't miss Glacier NP either.
Wayne

DandT40
07-16-2016, 21:34
I dont think I said there was anything wrong with the conditions, just that it was rough. Less than ideal, but defiantly better than the best day at work like you said! The teton crest is a great trail - and I felt it was a relatively easy hike compared to the other NP trails we have hiked. My family and I just caught some bad weather and didn't get the full enjoyment since many views were clouded in.

Venchka
07-17-2016, 07:54
With my luck, if/when I get there all of the inclement weather that I have missed over the years will be waiting for me.
Wayne

Gambit McCrae
11-10-2016, 11:28
Reviving this.

Looking for info now on the following:
Best airport to fly into when going to GTNP
How to get to Teton Village from Airport when not wanting to pay for a rental car when It will sit at a trailhead for 5 days.

Venchka
11-10-2016, 11:57
We had good luck flying in/out of Idaho Falls by way of Salt Lake City.
Get quotes from taxis and airport limos to/from Jackson Hole Airport.
In my experience, Jackson Hole Airport is expensive. The shuttle to Teton Village may be expensive.
It's possible that a flight to SLC or Idaho Falls and the smallest cheapest 1 week rental car may be the better option. Certainly more convenient for pre and post hike transportation. I'm pretty sure that you need to pick up a permit at the Backcountry desk in Moose.
Have a great trip. Looking forward to the trip report. I might be in the area next summer.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
11-10-2016, 12:11
Planning for August 17'
Teton Crest Trail from Teton Village to Jenny Lake VC.

I am thinking 10 miles a day will be a full load for this park? I can pull 20s on the AT but from what I understand that is not the case out west

Studlintsean
11-10-2016, 12:25
We had good luck flying in/out of Idaho Falls by way of Salt Lake City.
Get quotes from taxis and airport limos to/from Jackson Hole Airport.
In my experience, Jackson Hole Airport is expensive. The shuttle to Teton Village may be expensive.
It's possible that a flight to SLC or Idaho Falls and the smallest cheapest 1 week rental car may be the better option. Certainly more convenient for pre and post hike transportation. I'm pretty sure that you need to pick up a permit at the Backcountry desk in Moose.
Have a great trip. Looking forward to the trip report. I might be in the area next summer.
Wayne

I agree to consider a rental from SLC as a possible option (may or may not cost less). The drive from SLC to WY (I went to Pinedal once and Idaho Falls another time) is a beautiful drive. I think a weekly rental for the smallest car is ~$200.00

hobby
11-10-2016, 12:56
Flew to Jackson once and Idaho Falls another---used rental car since we had 5 in the group.
Stayed here http://www.ranchinn.com/ both times. Nice folks and allowed us to leave our extra gear in storage while out hiking. Did not want to leave extra stuff in the rental at a trail head. Was able to get a shower at the YMCA for a couple of bucks after hiking and before plane ride home since we did not spend the last night in Jackson on our second trip.
Hiked the Winds and the Teton Crest-----you will be amazed at the scenery!

burger
11-10-2016, 13:03
Reviving this.

Looking for info now on the following:
Best airport to fly into when going to GTNP
How to get to Teton Village from Airport when not wanting to pay for a rental car when It will sit at a trailhead for 5 days.

Don't forget that you have to go to the visitor center in Moose to pick up your permit and bear canister. That's an extra several miles out of the way.

Venchka
11-10-2016, 15:37
Read Burger's report on making your hike a loop from Jenny Lake to Teton Village. If you have the time.
Signal Mountain Lodge has added coin operated showers and I think laundry. One more reason to have the car.
There are Forest Service campgrounds on the Snake River south of the town of Jackson. They were empty the afternoon I stopped there on a bike trip in July.
You're making me want to hike the Teton Crest. Stop it. [emoji1][emoji106][emoji41]
Wayne

Gambit McCrae
11-10-2016, 15:53
Read Burger's report on making your hike a loop from Jenny Lake to Teton Village. If you have the time.
Signal Mountain Lodge has added coin operated showers and I think laundry. One more reason to have the car.
There are Forest Service campgrounds on the Snake River south of the town of Jackson. They were empty the afternoon I stopped there on a bike trip in July.
You're making me want to hike the Teton Crest. Stop it. [emoji1][emoji106][emoji41]
Wayne

Your welcome to join! would like to have 5-6 go, only me and 1 other right now!

Venchka
11-10-2016, 18:11
Thanks for the invitation. I really appreciate it. Send me a PM when your dates are firm. I'll try to keep up.
Chances are good that I will drive. It might be harder to get the good camping locations with a larger group.
Good luck.
Wayne

Venchka
11-10-2016, 19:03
Grand Teton Climbers Ranch might be the most economical place to stay in the park. Worth looking into.
https://americanalpineclub.org/grand-teton-climbers-ranch/
Wayne

Venchka
11-10-2016, 19:09
Here's a taxi quote from the Climbers Ranch web page:
"No, there is no public transport to the GTCR, please plan accordingly. Taxis are available at the airport, and cost approximately $70 each way."
The rental car is looking better. However, rental rates in Jackson are going to be higher than SLC.
Wayne

Malto
11-10-2016, 22:11
I did a Winds Traverse, The Teton Crest Trail into Yellowstone through Belcher Canyon to Old Faithful in late Sep and early Oct. originally we intended to also do Gros Ventre but weather cause us to cut that section out. In generally the Winds were spectacular, every bit the equal of mt beloved Sierra. BUt the Teton Crest trail exceeded by expectations as well. It is a super easy trail and the views can be incredible. We did the trip a it too late but we had great weather in the Tetons.

If you can get an affordable flight into Jackson then this would make logistics pretty easy. There is a great public transport system though taxis were way expensive as was just about everything in that town. If you are do that trip I highly recommend taking a couple of days and doing the Grand Loop Drive in Yellowstone if you haven't been there. It will blow your mind.

Dogwood
11-11-2016, 00:09
If you make the available time, which I would if in anyway I could, and I was coming from TN to WY, I would fly into Bozman from either Chattanooga or Nashville(flights are the cheapest I know which plays into MY BEST traveling/flight arrangements), and do the hike that Malto described taking the BECHLER RIVER Tr in Yellowstone to Grand Teton NP and do the Teton Crest Tr. Bozeman is one of the less expensive places to fly into in the area rather than Idaho Falls or Jackson Hole(pricey town overall) and likely West Yellowstone(seasonal) AP's. A bus runs between Bozman and Jackson Hole.

Climber's Ranch is great for outside of town accommodations for a hiker and the Hostel in Teton village at the base of the tram is centrally located. Various bus lines get you around. Aug is busy busy time in Y and GT NP's. Teton Crest Tr is alpine hiking so weather can change fast.

Venchka
11-11-2016, 18:04
Dogwood,
You and Malto and others have talked about hiking from Yellowstone to Grand Teton national parks. I've hunted high and low in my personal map archives and CalTopo and come up empty. Where are these mystery trails? Please?
Wayne

Malto
11-11-2016, 19:00
Dogwood,
You and Malto and others have talked about hiking from Yellowstone to Grand Teton national parks. I've hunted high and low in my personal map archives and CalTopo and come up empty. Where are these mystery trails? Please?
Wayne

We crossed over the crest just NW of Lake Solitude and went cross country to Trail 008. Our intent was to take 008 to the end and go cross country due north into Yellowstone. However due to some severe very storm late in the afternoon we ended up going a lower route down the south bitch trail 002 all the way to squirrel Meadow. From there it was a short gravel road walk to the trail head at Fish Lake. We did a super easy trail over to Bechler Canyon. Trail 008 is not nearly as cruise as the TCT nor is it as scenic. But it is not a bad connector trail into Yellowstone. One really cool thing..... near the Fish lake Trailhead I was face to face with a silver fox. We just looked at each other and he walk right around me. The nearly black color was amazing.

Venchka
11-11-2016, 19:16
Thanks so much! I can connect the dots now.
Wayne

Dogwood
11-11-2016, 20:47
Dogwood,
Wayne...

I was inspired by Francis Tapon's choice of CDT routes on his first ever CDT yo yo through Gros Venture Wilderness, Caribou-Targhee Nat Forest, Bridger Teton Nat Forest - Bridger Wilderness, Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP's, and The Wind River Range. I'm old school navigation and orienteering by paper maps mostly. You can see the route in its entirety, which is what I prefer over a hand held small view electronic device that miserably fails at viewing detail when trying to see the "big picture" in any detail, by laying out several maps(I did it on my basement floor) using the Yellowstone and GT NP TI Nat Geo maps, Caribou Targhee/Gros Venture/Bridger Teton Nat Forest maps, and Sky Terrain trail map set of the Winds. For hikes between GT and Y NP's you only need the TI Nat Geo NP maps and Caribou Targhee Nat Forest map for a seamless hike showing good topographical and trail detail.

I suspect Malto, or who ever he was hiking with, was likewise inspired.

Francis "The Onion" described the route at his website. http://francistapon.com/Travels/Continental-Divide-Trail/Grand-Tetons

If you are interested I also wrote up a less than concise as Malto or Francis description of the route of my own that I've sent to several hikers I could send ya.

I came SOBO from Shoshone Lake in Y NP though on my CDT thru where as Malto and Francis went NOBO.

Venchka
11-11-2016, 21:09
That list of government place names would constitute a couple figure eights and a Möbius strip.
Thanks for the list. A worthwhile lifetime bucket list!
I would be pleased to lay eyes on the Thorofare cabin and Bridger Lake. Or is it Lake Bridger?
It's all good. Go forth and enjoy.
Wayne

Dogwood
11-11-2016, 22:22
none of us did figure 8's or loops jus pt to pt hikes, if I'm understanding you correctly. You only need three of those maps and really can get away without the Caribou-targhee map as that only encompasses a rather small segment of hiking between GT and Y NP's.

Sorry to scare ya away with TMI. :)

Slo-go'en
11-12-2016, 11:51
and do the hike that Malto described taking the BECHLER RIVER Tr in Yellowstone to Grand Teton NP and do the Teton Crest Tr.

I did the Bechler river hike from Old Faithful into the Tetons. I think I hitched the last leg into Jenny lake. The Bechler river was a neat hike, lots of waterfalls, found a hot spring with a stream flowing into it which made it cool enough to wade into and walked by a back country geyser just as it blew, was the only one there to witness it.

Venchka
11-12-2016, 12:54
Dogwood,
It's all good. Every bit of intel helps. Didn't you feel a slight tug on your leg?
As I said above, the Thorofare, Bridger Lake, Younts Peak & Thorofare Mountain area are bucket list material for folks younger than I. I will attempt to get close.
Thread drift over.
Wayne

Dogwood
11-12-2016, 13:29
I did the Bechler river hike from Old Faithful into the Tetons. I think I hitched the last leg into Jenny lake. The Bechler river was a neat hike, lots of waterfalls, found a hot spring with a stream flowing into it which made it cool enough to wade into and walked by a back country geyser just as it blew, was the only one there to witness it.

Francis and Malto don't say what route they took or planned to take going NOBO into Yellowstone from the Grand Tetons but when I was considering my route SOBO on that CDT thru in 2010 I saw the Bechler River Tr from Shoshone Lake(Y NP) to be a far more scenic and interesting route than taking the typical CDT route most CDTers take on the west side of Lewis Lake(Y NP, adjacent to Hwy 191/89, the HWY that goes into Jackson Hole and by GT NP). I made the right choice for my hike. It was a fabulous awesomely worthy alternate. I had a lot of help choosing my CDT alternates with some great advice given to me by other hikers some of whom are here on WB. ;)

The Bechler River and Teton Crest Trails initially entered my radar as result of a Backpacker article listing the Top 20 U.S. hikes not to miss. Backpacker was right. AND they were right about the other 18 they advised based on personally having experienced 19 of those 20 so far.

Your description of your experiences on that trail is indicative of that southwestern corner of Y NP. i.e.; much less crowded. In late July/early Aug 2010 from Shoshone Lake to Grassy Lake Rd I encountered maybe a dozen people/hikers total. BTW, it snowed 4" on me at Shoshone Lake in late July and 5"-6" on the Teton Crest Tr in early Aug on that segment but days would usually warm up into the high 60's to mid 70's. One night my ABC watch registered 4* on Aug 2 at aptly named Alaska Basin/Basin Lakes area on the Teton Crest Tr with snow coming down in a COLD swirling wind. And, I didn't meet anyone until the Middle Teton area of the TCT. Since we're sharing with maybe some folks interested the Alaska Basin area outside of GT NP is a beautifully scenic hiking area....with meager usage even during high peak usage. http://www.tetonhikingtrails.com/alaska-basin.htm

That entire northwest corner of Wyoming all the way into, adjacent, and south past the Wind River Range afford a lifetime of backpacking and wide ranging outdoor activity experiences in it's own right with a potentially high level of solitude.

Dogwood
11-12-2016, 13:35
Dogwood,
It's all good. Every bit of intel helps. Didn't you feel a slight tug on your leg?
As I said above, the Thorofare, Bridger Lake, Younts Peak & Thorofare Mountain area are bucket list material for folks younger than I. I will attempt to get close.
Thread drift over.
Wayne

I don't think your drift is that far off from Gambit McRaes's Op. And, it's certainly less of a drift than JustBill and myself going off on the EE Rev quilt thread.

Venchka
11-12-2016, 13:43
That entire northwest corner of Wyoming all the way into, adjacent, and south past the Wind River Range afford a lifetime of backpacking and wide ranging outdoor activity experiences in it's own right with a potentially high level of solitude.
Shhhhhhhh...
If we tell them they will come. Actually, they already have come.
No worries. It's a large area.
Wayne

Malto
11-12-2016, 17:13
Francis and Malto don't say what route they took or planned to take going NOBO into Yellowstone from the Grand Tetons

here is the route we planned and ended up taking connecting the dots. I'm not aware of what route Tapon took.

We crossed over the crest just NW of Lake Solitude and went cross country to Trail 008. Our intent was to take 008 to the end and go cross country due north into Yellowstone. However due to some severe very storm late in the afternoon we ended up going a lower route down the south bitch trail 002 all the way to squirrel Meadow. From there it was a short gravel road walk to the trail head at Fish Lake. We did a super easy trail over to Bechler Canyon.

Dogwood
11-12-2016, 17:55
Who'd you go with Malto?

Pringles
11-13-2016, 19:07
This far out I can't guarantee a shuttle, BUT, I was most likely going to Yellowstone or the Tetons anyway... .

Pringles

Absarokanaut
11-27-2016, 17:34
Hello Pringles, OP, All,

I'm John and live near Jackson, WY. I sometimes do shuttle hikers as well but don't plan it so many months in advance when I haven't made my own plans yet. I am more often Absarokanaut at bpbasecamp or backcountrypost.com.

The cheapest way to Teton Village from the JHole Airport that I can think of would be to take the ride to fly bus from the Airport to town parking garage and then take the START Bus to Teton Village.

I am fat, old, and ugly. Have never had a serious problem hitchiking here in the summer months.

The Old skyline Trail, etc, north of the Teton Range core is a lot of fun, but it is also now dense grizzly habitat with the Winegar Hole being among the densest in the time zone.

The Bechler is a blast. Be sure you DO NOT miss Dunanda Falls and those soaking opportunities.

One usually does not need an ice axe for Paintbrush Divide after July 10th. that of ourse can vary immensely.

If this is your first trip here I suggest staying to the "Complete Crest Trail" between HWY 22 and Leigh/String Lake. Southbound is the most favored diretion because of the views.

Venchka
11-27-2016, 18:30
Thanks John! I do appreciate your trip reports and helpful information here and at Backcountrypost. It's been entirely too long since I was in Wyoming. I miss it.
Wayne