PDA

View Full Version : AWOL 2016 Guide Book

skinnbones
07-01-2016, 21:22
Just purchased my Awol guide book. Lots of info to try and understand in this book. First glance is promising.

Rain Man
07-01-2016, 21:34
First glance is promising.

Most every other glance will be promising, too. ;)

lyagooshka
07-01-2016, 21:35
Just purchased my Awol guide book. Lots of info to try and understand in this book. First glance is promising.

Is it the "The A.T. Guide 2016 Northbound" by David "Awol" Miller?

I picked that one up and found it pretty handy, but I still have much to decipher.
Like you said though, looks promising.

MtDoraDave
07-01-2016, 23:50
I recently bought it too, because I lost my 2014 copy.
Great asset for hiking on the AT, section or thru.
For sections, I photocopy the pages I need and keep them in a zip lock bag.

Greenlight
07-02-2016, 00:31
How about this? For those of you taking Kindles on the trail, you know you can email yourself documents to be read on the screen, right? You can do that for each page of your trail guide and not have to worry about tearing the book apart or mailing yourself sections. You'll always have the page you need at your disposal without carrying any of the physical book.

I recently bought it too, because I lost my 2014 copy.
Great asset for hiking on the AT, section or thru.
For sections, I photocopy the pages I need and keep them in a zip lock bag.

MtDoraDave
07-02-2016, 07:53
That's another option. :)
Though I don't tear out the pages, I just lay the book / page flat on the scanner / copier to get the pages I need.

Fireplug
07-02-2016, 12:52
I just completed 134 miles of the AT. Neels Gap to Fontana Dam. The book is a little confusing but you will pick up how to use it rather quickly. It took me about 3 days to get used to using it.

Fireplug
07-02-2016, 12:53
If your carrying a smart phone take pictures of the pages you need that way you will have a backup copy.

Engine
07-03-2016, 07:34
If your carrying a smart phone take pictures of the pages you need that way you will have a backup copy.

Actually, if you are going to use a smart phone as your primary means of using the guide, you are better off buying the PDF version of the document and it's all instantly accessible. In addition, the PDF version of the guide has links in the text which take you to a corresponding page, a very nice feature.

tiptoe
07-03-2016, 10:14
AWOL's guide also comes in unbound versions, both northbound and southbound. As a section hiker, these are perfect for me, as I take only the pages I need (in a ziploc bag). It's about as concise and lightweight as one can get on trail distances, elevations, water sources, shelters, and the like, and very helpful on town services. I'm not affiliated with AWOL, just a happy customer.

CamelMan
07-03-2016, 10:37
+1 for PDF. Since I have both books (the AWOL and the bigger, official ATC) I cut the pages out of mine instead of making copies. Too bad it's not the same binding as those rubberized pull-off note pads.

liteweight
07-03-2016, 14:57
Unbound version is perfect. Carry just the pages you need. Very handy.

skinnbones
07-03-2016, 16:10
I have started to digest all the info in this guide book. I love this thing! Well worth the price. Hurry up April 2017.