PDA

View Full Version : Any plans for the 4th of July?

BenOnAdventures
07-03-2016, 15:35
Hey everyone I hope all of you have had an awesome weekend so far! So have any of you had any big plans this weekend? Any fun hikes, kayaking trips, cookouts or that sorta stuff? Any unique places to watch the fireworks?

I hope you all have a safe and fun weekend!

P.S the La Sportiva Ultra Raptors I talked about last time finally came in and they've been so nice. I've really enjoyed them so far, thanks for all the help on those!

soumodeler
07-03-2016, 17:45
Love my Ultra Raptors! On my 4th pair now.

Venchka
07-03-2016, 18:34
Yo Ben! Sup!
Did you have any trouble getting the right size? I saw them on sale a week or so ago. I should have stocked up.
Have a great holiday.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

soumodeler
07-03-2016, 18:38
Where were they on sale? I have NEVER seen that shoe go on sale.

Venchka
07-03-2016, 18:40
Backcountry Gear maybe? A big La Sportiva sale. They are discounted with an REI sale coupon.
Wayne

Odd Man Out
07-03-2016, 20:21
Minor league baseball game. Grilling marinated steaks. Already made the baked beans and tater salad.

CamelMan
07-03-2016, 21:26
Only small plans. Work. But I did finally finish the Alum Cave Trail (http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/alumcave.htm) the rest of the way up Mt. LeConte. I remember when I first got here and was significantly overweight and out of shape, how hard that trail seemed. I'm happy to declare independence from obesity. And happy to celebrate that with beer and potato chips! ;)

daddytwosticks
07-04-2016, 10:40
Nothing this weekend. Enjoying time with family. Will be doing a short in/out hike in the Smokys next weekend. Hoping it will be cooler at elevation. :)

Venchka
07-04-2016, 10:47
Only small plans. Work. But I did finally finish the Alum Cave Trail (http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/alumcave.htm) the rest of the way up Mt. LeConte. I remember when I first got here and was significantly overweight and out of shape, how hard that trail seemed. I'm happy to declare independence from obesity. And happy to celebrate that with beer and potato chips! ;)

Well done! Been there. Done that. Had to get a new t-shirt that fit.
Congratulations!
Wayne

CamelMan
07-04-2016, 14:19
Thanks. Congratulations to you too!

Another Kevin
07-04-2016, 23:02
I actually got out on the trail. Only about five miles of easy trail, but for the first time in months, I put in more than a mile or two without my foot killing me. I'm going to have to start slow because of all the forced inactivity, and so as not to bring on a relapse, but you may be seeing more of those New York pictures here from time to time.

BenOnAdventures
07-04-2016, 23:35
Yo Ben! Sup!
Did you have any trouble getting the right size? I saw them on sale a week or so ago. I should have stocked up.
Have a great holiday.
Wayne

Sorry for the late reply, it's been busy around here! And you see normally I wear 13 and 13.5 fits me perfectly! I love them! Thanks so much for the help buddy. I hope your weekend was a blast!

BenOnAdventures
07-04-2016, 23:38
All of you sound like you had a blast this weekend! We had a few family cookouts and I swam a lot this weekend. We had relatives here from out of state and a wedding to attend. So it was busy to say the least but it still was a lot of fun! Only if we all were close we could do a big hike, camp out, cookout or something sometime!

Rain Man
07-05-2016, 12:18
Pic from yesterday (July 4th) at the Clingmans Dome parking lot in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, the most visited NP in the Nation.

We just completed the 20-mile loop down Forney Creek Trail, then up the Springhouse Branch Trail and Forney Ridge Trail. That's 8,400' of total descent and ascent. Beautiful weather, good footpath, great hikers in our group and those we saw on the trails. Masses of people and cars at the Clingmans Dome parking area! Cars were lined up waiting for parking spots to open up. Festive atmosphere Saturday when we hit the trail and Monday when we returned to our vehicles.

Oh, and an up-close-and-personal bear encounter the last day! As you can see, we all made it out alive and accounted for! LOL

Rain Man

P.S. One of these hike buddies reminded me that we hiked the Smokies last July 4th weekend too. Up from Cades Cove to the AT, then out at Clingmas Dome.

Dogwood
07-05-2016, 14:31
I try to spend my Fourth somewhere exotically different every yr.: Top of Mt Whitney, Lake Tahoe, Washington DC, Humphrey's Peak(AZ state high pt.), at the summit of some 14er, etc. This yr it was on the beach around a campfire at Pacific City OR looking out at Haystack Rock as the backdrop for the fireworks display on the Oregon Coast Tr. :cool::p;)

egilbe
07-05-2016, 14:36
I hiked from Saddleback to Sugarloaf with a stop off at Mt Abram. Started off foggy and windy on Saddleback and finished Sunny and Windy on Sugarloaf.

Pringles
07-05-2016, 21:13
I tried to hike to the top of Mount Washburn, in Yellowstone. I was pokey, but doing fine, until the thunder and lightening started. 1/4 mile from the top and I turned around. There were others that turned back, too, but some who went on. I'll do it some other day.