PDA

View Full Version : Tarp Size ?

JohnG10
07-03-2016, 18:10
I'm thinking of getting a MLD 5x9 Monk tarp. Does anyone have any experience using this type of tarp on the AT ?

I think the general consensus is that 5x9 is not big enough for the Sierra's and other "above tree line" areas because rain blows sideways a lot.

My thinking is that 5x9 might be OK on the AT because the forest would cause the rain to fall pretty close to straight down (or not more than 15 degrees off if there was a little wind getting through the trees in a thunder storm).

I'm also thinking that the tarp could be set up as a "lean-to" (ie: a flat sheet sloped at a 20 degree angle) rather than as an A frame, so that the usable area under the tarp is bigger.

Has anyone tried using a 5x9 tarp in a "lean-to" pitch instead of an A-frame when it's raining ? How well did it work ?

Connie
07-03-2016, 19:38
I like more width, not much more.

I like 8.5 ' length, but I am 5'6".

I tell people to pick up 3 mil or more thickness plastic sheeting, used by painters, for example, some tenacious tape and some stout string ..to find the tarp dimensions you like.

There is someone in business for backpackers or hammockers selling the tarp size you like, in fabric you like.

We have lists.

:cool:

nsherry61
07-03-2016, 22:29
There are people that have hiked all the long trails in the US with nothing but poncho tarps (generally somewhere in the 5x9 size range). They can work just fine most of the time. My poncho is my go-to solo shelter except winter. It's certainly not for everyone. I would not say that a lean-to configuration gives you more room than an A-frame. A lean-to facing the right direction in a steady'ish wind will give you pretty good protection from blown rain until the wind shifts. A 5x9 tarp is pretty crowded and gets a lot of dampness inside from splatter and wind when you are in prolonged rain storms. I frequently will use my backpack to help close in the edge of my poncho and wrap my ground cloth over the more exposed side of my bag in heavier storms, which also means I don't sleep as well when weather is bad and I'm using my poncho for shelter. I would not choose such a small tarp if I expected more than a couple days of rain without a chance to dry out either with the sun breaking through for a few hours or an exit from the trail.

By contrast, an 8x4 tarp is palatial and a delight to spend a stormy night in while watching the lightening, listening to the thunder, hearing the rain pound down on the tarp and poor off the edges while getting little gusts of wind-blown damp mist across your face every now and then. I think thunder storms at night under an 8x10 tarp are some of my favorite experiences in life!

Feral Bill
07-03-2016, 23:06
Many years ago, on a very wet and stormy night, a friend and I shared a 6X8 tarp at the West Mountain shelter, which then had no raised floor and was flooded. We got some sleep, but it was not a pleasant experience. On the other hand, I've spent many comfortable nights, in all kinds of weather, under an 8X10. It's worth a few ounces to have a decent amount of space and greater versatility.

Connie
07-04-2016, 00:28
During experiments, try different configurations.

I find an 8x10 too much: I don't need it.

However, I have a TiGoat Bug Bivy that affects my choice.

I also use a Gossamer Gear polycryo ground sheet or equivalent.

I have also considered a ZPacks "bathtub" ground sheet, however, I like the Bug Bivy in my hiking world.

If you don't want to cut-and-try plastic sheeting, then, purchase an 8x10 blue, grey or brown plastic tarp at a convenience store or a hardware store: try that, cut that down. But plastic sheeting, tenacious tape and stout string are easier to work with.

My favorite tarp is a 5' x 8.5' Diamond Asym tarp: the seam runs from the corners on the diagonal.

I pitch one corner higher up to see out.

I found that out, by trying different pitches and different sizes. It like it in cuben fiber.

bigcranky
07-04-2016, 07:34
I used a 5.5x8.5 tarp for several years, in some epic weather, but I had a water resistant breathable bivy. The tarp wasn't quite long enough, so I got an 8x10 silnylon tarp -- but that was too wide :) so I cut off a couple of feet and ended up with a 6x10 tarp, which I thought was perfect for me. Then I switched to hammocks for solo warm weather hiking. Now I have a cuben solo tent. Lighter even than my tarp/bivy combo.

JohnG10
07-05-2016, 20:11
Thanks for the advice :)
Sounds like a 7x9 x10 tapered tarp is the way to go.

Fireplug
07-12-2016, 20:37
I made my own tarp. It's 10' wide 12' long weight about 8 oz waterproof packs up into a stuff sack the size of a 16oz water bottle. I made it out of 1.1 oz per yard (36"x 52" is what the company calls a yard) silnylon. You can order it from www.ripstopbytheroll.com. There is a guy on YouTube who shows you how to make it. I think his name was FRONKEY.
By the way. I love my tarp!!!!!!!

CalebJ
07-12-2016, 22:15
Are you sure about that weight? Doesn't sound right for a tarp that large.

HelloNeiman!
07-13-2016, 00:32
I camp in a 6x8 tarp in the mountains very comfortably, it just depends how you measure your weight-to-comfort ratio. For me, I'm willing to take more risk and plan around sites and weather to support a smaller tarp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fireplug
07-13-2016, 00:55
Are you sure about that weight? Doesn't sound right for a tarp that large.
It's Silnylon. 1.1 oz a yard. Their yard is 36" by 52". Go look at their website. All the info is there plus I weighed it.

CalebJ
07-13-2016, 01:14
It's 1.1 fabric, then treated with a waterproof coating that makes it 1.4 per yard. 10*12 is 120 square feet or 8.9 yards of material at 36*52. At 1.4 ounces per yard, the fabric alone weighs 12.4 ounces. Something is off in your numbers.

Edit- is it possible your tarp is 8*10? That would give you about 8.3 ounces of fabric if you didn't roll the edges or add tieouts, etc.

Runsalone
08-14-2016, 00:28
I'm thinking of getting a MLD 5x9 Monk tarp. Does anyone have any experience using this type of tarp on the AT ?

My thinking is that 5x9 might be OK on the AT because the forest would cause the rain to fall pretty close to straight down (or not more than 15 degrees off if there was a little wind getting through the trees in a thunder storm).

Has anyone tried using a 5x9 tarp in a "lean-to" pitch instead of an A-frame when it's raining ? How well did it work ?

I carried an 8x10 on my 340 mile section in 08 and have used it for approximately half as many miles or more on weekends and 4-5 day outings before and since. Multiple camping trips etc.

Site selection is everything with tarp camping and the smaller the tarp the more crucial it will be. You WILL have to hunt natural cover if there is any chance of weather moving in during the night, which there will be, lol. You will get some sideways rain from time to time and more than that you will get some misting and fog/watervapor that will blow into and open side, or under a high pitch.

A lean-to pitch is a fair weather pitch, IMO. If your expecting wet and cold, use an A-frame tight to the ground (which is tough with a narrow tarp) or a half pyramid with the open side to cover best you can.

A 5x9 would be a little small for me, without some kind of bivy. And by the time your carrying that your into the weight of a tarp tent of some type.

Tarping it definitely has some advantages. Mostly not feeling closed up from nature and the obvious weight/pack space advantages. But "for me" I found that for a prolonged outing with long days I really didnt feel like hunting a suitable site and the inevitable origami project that ensued every evening.

I did enjoy using my flat tarp but in 2013 I carried a TT rainbow from erwin to pearisburg and the extra pound was totally worth it. Just fling it up in a semi decent site and crawl in and get to relaxin. No anxiety in a storm or worrying about the wind shifting 90 - 180 * during the night (which it inevitably does...)

Not trying to talk you out of it of course because I had fun and learned alot using one. Just understand the limitations before you head out and you'll be fine. Maybe dont go with too small a tarp over the weight of a big gulp of water. Lol.

Time Zone
08-14-2016, 08:35
I'm thinking of getting a MLD 5x9 Monk tarp.

One thing you could do is experiment: buy a cheap blue tarp, cut it to size (or fold in half?), set it up in your yard or somewhere nearby during a storm, and see how you fare. Or don't cut it up, and see if you feel you could get by with less (and how much less).

Interesting notion about a forested area reducing the effect of wind on rain direction. I'm not sure I've heard that claim before - you ought to verify it, if you're banking on it.

One last thought: do some geometry on the lean-to idea. I think you'll find that, unless the lower end is above the ground somewhat, you have to position yourself surprisingly far toward the open end to avoid your head/feet touching the underside of the tarp (if that's important to avoid wicking, knocking off condensation, etc). So much of what seems like ample "roofing" may not have usable space underneath. Again, test out in backyard if possible.

scbobk11
08-14-2016, 22:29
Wind is the main cause of "sideways rain" and it does get windy in the southern Appalachians, especially at altitude and during thunderstorms (which is most of the summer). Most of the southern Appalachians are considered a rainforest so expect rain...sometimes lots of rain.

I really like to be dry while I'm under my shelter, especially when it's cold. I see you're in Maryland so maybe your hikes are local. Colder than NC where I do most of my hiking so I'd be mindful of keeping warm, especially in shoulder season (March-April and Sept-Oct) where it can easily get in the 30's in NC.

So...plan for the worst and hope for the best. But along at AT I would expect to experience windy and rainy conditions and I would make sure that my tarp is adequate to protect me.