PDA

View Full Version : Tri Corner Knob Shelter

Jon Henderson
07-03-2016, 21:07
I'm planning on a hike with my 10 year old son in a week or two up from Cosby with one night stay at TCK shelter, then back down. I know there's some bear activity in that area. Is there protection in the shelter, i.e. fencing or something to protect you while you are sleeping in the shelter? I couldn't tell from pictures on the web.
Thanks,
Jon

TNhiker
07-03-2016, 21:21
No fencing....

Slo-go'en
07-03-2016, 21:28
No, nothing to protect you. There is only one shelter left which has a fence and that is down at Davenport gap.

If the bear activity is a threat, they will close the shelter to camping. Remember, you will need reservations for the shelter and that is best done as far in advance as possible to make sure you get a spot the day you want. Short notice is hit or miss. Also keep in mind that will be a fairly strenuous climb up to the ridge from Cosby.

MuddyWaters
07-03-2016, 22:01
If your going to go into the woods and experience nature, you got to accept some risks. Falls, injuries, personal health events, and insects are the most likely problems.

If its any consolation, your more likely to die in a car accident on the way, than to be killed by a bear. Dont worry, be happy.

HooKooDooKu
07-03-2016, 22:08
Generally speaking, bears don't mess with sleeping campers. Campers ate not food, but their gear might have some and that is what even problem bears are looking for.
But if it will make you feel better, make sure to get there early enough to get a top bunk. At least that way you are up off the ground level.
FWIW, I take my boys camping in GSMNP, and I wouldn't hesitate to take them to TCK right now. I might be a little extra vigilant, like not letting him get out of sight when he needs to take a potty break. But that's just so I'm the one dealing with any bear enounter just so the young'n ain't got to handle it alone.

Jon Henderson
07-04-2016, 07:38
Thanks for all of the information! I really appreciate all of the responses! How's the water situation there? I hear sometimes there's not much.

TNhiker
07-04-2016, 09:47
We haven't had a good rain lately, so that may affect the springs. ..

but haven't been up to that shelter in years, so I can't attest...

Jon Henderson
07-04-2016, 09:59
That would be an awful lot of water to have to hump up there. �� I did Guyot from Cosby Campground in one day last fall, and it was dry. I had to pack a lot of water for a day hike, albeit a 16 mile one!

-Rush-
07-04-2016, 14:17
You may want to check out the Otter Creek campsite #29. You can access Tricorner Knob shelter quicker than going from Cosby Knob.

HooKooDooKu
07-04-2016, 16:52
How's the water situation there?
Frequently, the GSMNP Temporary Closures Page (https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm) usually lists campsites with dry water sources.
Currently there are no water warnings.
I assume you're going to climb Snake Den as that's the shorted path to TCK. From what I recall, your path is going to be pretty dry once you get past the water crossings about 2 miles up the trail. The only places I recall having water would include the shelter and area as you cross under Mt. Guyot (yet, sort of humorous that the one place along the trail you might find water is at the top of the mountain... so to speak).

Jon Henderson
07-04-2016, 20:10
Yes, I remember there being a spring very near the spot on the AT where I turned due east and bushwhacked up to the benchmark on Guyot's summit.

Jon Henderson
07-19-2016, 09:54
Just checking in again to see if anyone has a water update at Tri Corner Knob shelter. We are spending Thursday night there.