PDA

View Full Version : Internet Access?

drsukie
01-05-2006, 20:48
Unless I have missed it, I have not seen anything about 'net access at trail towns.

I could care less about surfing or checking the real-world e-mail (which WILL be on hold for my journey), but I write an on-line journal for family and friends. We are scattered all over the US and in NZ, South Africa, and Canada, so it's an easier way to communicate with people given all the different time zones.

Plus, I hate the phone. I do NOT want to be sitting at a pay phone. I'll carry my cell for emergencies only, to check for family messages when I have coverage (my Dad is old, and not doing very well - this Spring is probably a rough time for me to be away, but I have their support).

Are there trail towns that have internet cafés or other Internet access? Plus, my mail drop Angel (Herb Goddess) is an e-mail junkie - it will help to fine-tune things as I go.

Any info is appreciated..negative thoughts on Internet access are respected, but unneeded for my purposes! :o Thanks! Sue

Lone Wolf
01-05-2006, 20:55
Plenty of towns have plenty of that s**t. Not to worry. The AT is connected.

MOWGLI
01-05-2006, 20:58
Most public libraries in the US have internet access. The two primary trail guides list the libraries along the way. In addition, many hostels offer access, although in both hostels & libraries there might be a wait and user time limit.

TooTall
01-05-2006, 20:58
Are there trail towns that have internet cafés or other Internet access? Plus, my mail drop Angel (Herb Goddess) is an e-mail junkie - it will help to fine-tune things as I go.

Every trail town has a library with internet access. All the libraries are equipped with PCs with internet access (courtesy of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation). Just show an ID to sign up for an hour on a PC. If all the hour slots are taken you might have to wait a day. I've been able to occasionally use a PC longer than an hour when it was close to closing and no one else was around who wanted to use the PC.

Many hostels and cafes along the trail have internet access. Miss Janets in Erwin now has three PCs. The Sidetrack Cafe in Damascus has a couple of PCs and a Mac along a wall. The ATC office in Harper's Ferry has a PC. The Dartmouth Outing Club in Hanover has three Macs. I'm sure there are other places along the trail.

Too Tall Paul

Lone Wolf
01-05-2006, 21:03
The Sidetrack no longer exists. It is now the Baja Cafe. They have 1 computer for public use. Free. Don't abuse it. 15 minutes and get the heck off it. The library has 6 computers donated by Bill Gates.

drsukie
01-05-2006, 21:04
Thanks! I have not looked at this part of my Guides yet (eagerly awaiting my 2006 Thru-hikers Handbook, please come, please come, please come).

An hour is SO much more time than I need - I am a 10 minute person; on, off, later! So, maybe I'll find some other souls who will need to link for a wee bit!

:) Sue

max patch
01-05-2006, 21:15
If you have no desire to check the web or email, it may be less of a hassle to handwrite your journal and mail it to a friend for transcribing rather than looking for a pc and waiting in line to use it.

calearn
01-05-2006, 21:22
Also consider pocketmail (http://www.pocketmail.com/us/products/pm32/) as a way to send/receive emails only needing a phone. Many hikers like it because they can type in their journals at night on the trail and then just send them when they reach a phone.

drsukie
01-05-2006, 21:25
If you have no desire to check the web or email, it may be less of a hassle to handwrite your journal and mail it to a friend for transcribing rather than looking for a pc and waiting in line to use it.

I know, I know - but I do not have any friends that will do this right. I guess it's one of my own "crosses"; I was a Journalism major way back. If they can't (or won't) transcribe like I can write, it seems like a death of words...

Plus, Herb Goddess can send many good treats when I tell her to - brownies and cookies probably will NOY be ignored ny myself and my fellow thru-hikers, no ? :p Suke!

hopefulhiker
01-05-2006, 21:51
Ditto on the pocketmail, I got one and it was a luxury item worth carrying. I typed into it everynight and then called the 800 number at a payphone.. I used trail journals It cost $100 for the unit and $50 for three months.. It was good for the thru hike, very durable and the two aa batteries lasted a long time. It weighs a half a pound though...

SGT Rock
01-05-2006, 21:54
One of the joys of backpacking for me is getting away from all that e-mail in the first place - as well as phones (especially cell phones). Hopefully on my thru it will involve minimal time on the net. I plan to hand write my journal and mail it to my wife - I still haven't even decided if it will go on the net as I hike or after I get done.

Blissful
01-05-2006, 22:03
How big a file can you receive on the pocket e-mail? Can it receive attachments? Not that I want to "work" on the AT, but I am a writer by trade and the necessity may arise if an editor has to e-mail me galleys for correction or something else (which I hope will not be the case, but could happen). Can that be done on this type of gizmo? Thanks!

Lone Wolf
01-05-2006, 22:06
No wonder there's so many roads, hostels, shelters. AT hikers CANNOT be without. sad.

hopefulhiker
01-05-2006, 22:14
The pocket thing is real simple, no attachments or anything, you have to segment really large emails. it does have a calculator, a calendar, and a memo pad. I carried data sheets which I sometimes lost and my wife would email me the next data sheet for me.. It has a little light that you can use to type stuff at night. I only actually emailed about three times every two weeks. Saves the 75 cents for a payphone call too.

MOWGLI
01-05-2006, 22:34
I did the hand written journal thing and mailed it to my transcriber (Mom) every town stop. It worked great. I highly recommend it.

tiamalle
01-06-2006, 04:12
I furnish free in Franklin a computer room with new Dell computers and wireless internet.If you are a thru hiker and need to stop in and check e-mails or send messages it's ok even if you are not a guest at one of my motels.Also If you want to keep a journal free on my brand website use
the message board free all of you are welcome.There is a lot more you might want to check out. appalachiantrailservices.com

Chickety
01-06-2006, 08:08
I was rather suprised at how easily internet access was to find. Even when we were not expecting to find it...........internet everywhere!
3 days out from Springer (Neel's Gap) there was internet, I e-mailed my family and friends (because the computer was there and free and why not??!) and they were all like...........I thought you were hiking a TRAIL.........in the woods??!
A few days later in Hiawassee..........more internet........I had to stop e-mailing everytime I saw a computer......no one was going to believe me when I said I was hiking the AT!!

tiamalle
01-06-2006, 11:10
No wonder there's so many roads, hostels, shelters. AT hikers CANNOT be without. sad.9 out of ten I meet ask where is the closest library?I ask do you NEED a computer? quickly they answer Yes

Lone Wolf
01-06-2006, 11:23
A few years back I was in Dalton, Mass. with my truck and ran into some folks just coming out of the woods. It was damn hot that day and I asked them if they wanted a ride to an air-conditioned diner for something to eat and a cold drink. They said no, they needed to get to a computer. So I dumped them off at the library. Most AT hikers really don't like to be disconnected from the civilized world.

Blissful
01-06-2006, 14:11
Everyone has their opinions on the computerized world, which is fine. And obviously if we are posting on this forum, we are using a computer. For some of us though, in the woods and gone for six months, it could mean keeping a job and providing for oneself and others. And keeping in contact with loved ones. I want others to enjoy the thru-hiking experience right along with me, and yes, a computer can help do that. Like my family that can't be there with me. Or my editors who may need my work. I don't want my thru hike to be some kind of selfish, self seeking enterprise where I evaporate into the mist and come out six months later to pat myself on the back. I want others to experience it with me and learn along with me. So because I or others would like to have access to some kind of computer every so often on the trail doesn't make me any less a person who enjoys the outdoors, which I have all my life. To quote a famous line - "Hike your own hike."

SGT Rock
01-06-2006, 15:07
No argument with that, it is just that sometimes a vacation on the trail is really a vacation for some of us. :D

Mags
01-06-2006, 15:21
One of the joys of backpacking for me is getting away from all that e-mail in the first place - as well as phones (especially cell phones). Hopefully on my thru it will involve minimal time on the net. I plan to hand write my journal and mail it to my wife - I still haven't even decided if it will go on the net as I hike or after I get done.

It is what I did for 1998 and 2002. For me (and I do mean me..please no flaming. :D), find a pen and paper lets me record my thoughts better in the woods environment. I was fortunante enough to have a great transcriber (take a bow TJ!) who could translate my chicken scratch and post it for me.

In 1998, the Internet was just starting to get more popular for everyday use. Kinda cool to have one of the first 50 (or less?) journals on-line. Sly was one of the first back in 1997!

Working in the computer field, I esp. enjoy getting away from the computer. In fact my posting on WB coincides with my work hours. Other than doing photos at home on weeknight, I try to keep my computer use to the mininmum. On a thru-hike, even more so!

Mags
01-06-2006, 15:23
Ack! Double post..sorry!

tiamalle
01-07-2006, 01:04
Everyone has their opinions on the computerized world, which is fine. And obviously if we are posting on this forum, we are using a computer. For some of us though, in the woods and gone for six months, it could mean keeping a job and providing for oneself and others. And keeping in contact with loved ones. I want others to enjoy the thru-hiking experience right along with me, and yes, a computer can help do that. Like my family that can't be there with me. Or my editors who may need my work. I don't want my thru hike to be some kind of selfish, self seeking enterprise where I evaporate into the mist and come out six months later to pat myself on the back. I want others to experience it with me and learn along with me. So because I or others would like to have access to some kind of computer every so often on the trail doesn't make me any less a person who enjoys the outdoors, which I have all my life. To quote a famous line - "Hike your own hike."It's the new world

tiamalle
01-07-2006, 22:31
A few years back I was in Dalton, Mass. with my truck and ran into some folks just coming out of the woods. It was damn hot that day and I asked them if they wanted a ride to an air-conditioned diner for something to eat and a cold drink. They said no, they needed to get to a computer. So I dumped them off at the library. Most AT hikers really don't like to be disconnected from the civilized world.they teach it from 1st grade up and by college they are connected with the world.

dizzyT
01-16-2006, 22:33
I am hoping to go the whole thru hike without any news from the outside world.....is that realistic in this era? I am planning on hand writing my journal and mailing it. I have asked my mailer not to include any notes or info.

I just retired so I don't have to worry about work stuff.

tiamalle
01-17-2006, 00:54
I am hoping to go the whole thru hike without any news from the outside world.....is that realistic in this era? I am planning on hand writing my journal and mailing it. I have asked my mailer not to include any notes or info.

I just retired so I don't have to worry about work stuff.How you gona keep up with the stars of Nolan Ryan Parkway?:confused:

wyclif
01-17-2006, 02:25
No wonder there's so many roads, hostels, shelters. AT hikers CANNOT be without. sad.
I'd rather take the high road and avoid getting all judgemental and religious about something like Internet access, with the non-tech "purists" dissing Gen-Yers and Gen-Yers whining about not being connected on what is a big nature hike.

Internet access, email, and weblogs can help you on an AT through-hike. You might be able to discover the location of other hikers if they keep a trail journal or blog if a trail register isn't handy.

I can't trust anyone to do transcription for me; as a writer and former Spelling Bee champ I'm a bit of a nazi about grammar and punctuation. Transcription of trail journals also takes some of the expressiveness away.

You can set up a weblog with a fine, free, and advanced product like <a href="http://www.wordpress.com/">WordPress</a> and update via email only. You set up the WordPress blog before you leave, then update it when you have access.

If you're a true Luddite or purist you can avoid computers and phones easily enough on the trail.

nyushka42
01-17-2006, 11:33
So about once a week access is probably a reasonable expectation? I'll be carrying my cellphone with internet access, and luckily I won't have a job so I won't have to worry about attachments (don't worry purists, I will only use my cellphone far away from other hikers). However, it would be nice once in a while to have internet access with pictures & everything, rather than just script. I'll be carrying a handwritten journal, as I think writing it in the woods would be much more condusive to discriptions & impressions than sitting in front of a PC. I'll probably mail home my entries whenever I'm near a post office.

wyclif
01-17-2006, 14:00
I was surprised by how prevalent internet access is near the trail. If you look through the Photo Albums on this (in the Trail Towns section) you can see photos of hostels and cafes that have not just one but several PCs...for example, the Baja Cafe in Damascus and Miss Janet's in Erwin.

I also noticed that Trauma carries a PocketMail (pocketmail.com) device to update his trail journal from payphones. I guess he had to make a trade-off on weight.

dizzyT
01-17-2006, 18:07
Forgot about pictures......guess I will have to go online on occassion to send those.