PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah rafting/blue blazing

Jowy
07-04-2016, 09:08
Hi there!

I'm currently 750 miles into my Nobo thru-hike and have heard that you can raft a 100-150 mile section on the Shenandoah river.

I understand that this is very do-able in a kayak but is it possible to do it in a hole made log raft?

I'm not sure what the rapids are looking like on the river and whether a log raft could handle them. So I'm here appealing for info from people that have rafted/kayaked the Shenandoah, is it a calm river, are there any white water areas and what category are they?

mattjv89
07-04-2016, 11:48
I can't comment on the log raft part, though my inclination is that sounds difficult to assemble with tools generally carried on a thru-hike. What I could offer from my experience is don't firmly decide on aqua blazing until you check with the local outfitters about river conditions. Last year the water was very low when I came through Waynesboro and the outfitters were telling everyone not to do it. Sure enough almost everyone who chose not to heed the advice had a bad time floating slower than walking pace or just bottoming out entirely, and bailed out early by Luray. Could be totally different this year.

-Rush-
07-04-2016, 14:13
There's several that have done it this year, but they are using canoes provided by an outfitter. You want to build a log raft and float 100 miles? I hope you have a waterproof SOS button.

LittleRock
07-07-2016, 15:04
This post reminded me of the Oregon Trail Game - the part at the end where you have to raft down the river:

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/zknEdvRXUnk137rTCiTUUNx_I2g=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3966486/pic8.0.jpg

Studlintsean
07-07-2016, 22:48
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/va/nwis/uv/?site_no=01626000&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,62620,62614

Hikingjim
07-07-2016, 23:24
I wouldn't be that concerned about large rapids. But some rocky areas with swift water could be hard to navigate in a raft
There are a lot of flat water areas where you won't have much current helping you out as well

I would only recommend that to someone experienced and with a partner, water levels permitting

Fredt4
07-08-2016, 13:42
I didn't blue blaze that section, but I've been on plenty of other sections before. Your log raft sounds like a wonderful misadventure that you'll enjoy. Just don't suppose it'll fit into a thru-hike, but your welcome to educate us.