PDA

View Full Version : PARKING AT AMACALOlA AND SHUTTLES

Zman
07-04-2016, 10:26
I am planning ahead for a short hike next March from Amacalola Falls to Neels Gap. It is a 6-7 hr drive for me to get to the falls. I was wondering if there is a place to leave my vehicle for a few days as well as finding a way back to Amacalola Falls once I reach Neels Gap.

bigcranky
07-04-2016, 10:30
Yes. There is a long term parking lot at the state park -- register your vehicle inside the ranger station.

You can find a list of local shuttle drivers on the ATC web site. Contact some of them in advance to work out your dates. Getting back from Neels Gap won't be an issue. As an alternative, you can park at the Forest Service parking lot at/near Neels Gap and get a ride to Amicalola Falls then hike to your car.

Zman
07-04-2016, 12:08
great advise. Thanks for your help

soumodeler
07-04-2016, 13:30
I would recommend parking at Neel Gap (Byron Reece Trailhead Parking lot, NOT the store) and getting a shuttle to Amicalola. This way you do not have to worry about meeting your shuttle driver after your hike. It is free to park at Byron Reece vs $5/day at Amicalola. Also, if you park at Byron Reece, be sure to park in a designated parking spot. They are bad about giving tickets to cars parked "illegally" there overnight. If you are starting on a weekend, be sure to get there early to be assured of a designated parking spot.

I personally like Ron Brown. 706-636-2825. I did the same hike over the New Years weekend and from Neel to Amicalola it cost me $80 with Ron.

If you don't already know, that section will be CROWDED in March, especially on weekends. The thru hikers will be out in force, as well as many section hikers and weekenders. This is a popular spring break section. Expect to see 50+ people in camps at night depending on the day.

Zman
07-04-2016, 13:43
I was thinking of beginning my hike on an early Thursday morning and hoping to finish early enough on Sunday to also make my 6 hour drive back home. Do you think this is attainable? I think it is a real good idea to park at Neels Gap and shuttle to Amacalola

Zman
07-04-2016, 13:44
What do you think about hiking through Thanksgiving weekend? Is it to cold? Snow?

Stitches
07-04-2016, 14:20
What do you think about hiking through Thanksgiving weekend? Is it to cold? Snow?
Hard to say for sure, but the weather in these parts is often nastier in March than it is in November. November can get cold, but March is often cold and wet.

soumodeler
07-04-2016, 14:58
Thursday through Sunday is completely doable if you are in decent shape. Personally I would not be thrilled about the ride home though!

The answer for Thanksgiving weekend is unfortunately going to be: check the weather the week before and see how it looks. It could be great, it could be terrible, or it could just be average. Hard to tell. Late October is the perfect time in GA for me personally. Not hot, shouldn't be too cold. Leaves are changing, and the crowds are not too bad.