PDA

View Full Version : Walking a snail's pace?

skinnbones
07-04-2016, 11:00
So, I'm looking at my Awol Nobo guide book and I have figured that on day eleven I would reach Bly Gap in NC. That's about 7 miles per day of hiking. Also, I would resupply twice ( Neel Gap & Dick's Creek Gap) and visit one town of Hiawassee, Georgia. Does this sound reasonable or is 11 days to the NC state line walking at a snail's pace?

Feral Bill
07-04-2016, 11:06
So, I'm looking at my Awol Nobo guide book and I have figured that on day eleven I would reach Bly Gap in NC. That's about 7 miles per day of hiking. Also, I would resupply twice ( Neel Gap & Dick's Creek Gap) and visit one town of Hiawassee, Georgia. Does this sound reasonable or is 11 days to the NC state line walking at a snail's pace? It could be both. Depends on your goals.

saltysack
07-04-2016, 11:21
7 mpd is very slow...truly depends on you...are you a hiker or camper....that's allot of time sitting at camp which would drive me nuts...most folks avg at least 1.5 mph...do the math. If your a newbie I wouldn't even try to set a mpd schedule until you spend a few days out....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skinnbones
07-04-2016, 11:21
Can I add this... For the successful thru hikers, How many days did it take you to hike from Springer to the NC state line? Thanks.

skinnbones
07-04-2016, 11:25
I guess that's what I'm asking. I am a newbie and many folks on this page warn to begin slow. Looking at the guide book, not really trying to pick daily mileage, but rather when and where to tent and resupply. I'm sure my plans will be useless once I begin walking.

theoilman
07-04-2016, 12:25
I do a couple of week long hikes a year. I consider myself in good shape, my daily goals second and third days out is 10 miles with a max of 2000' elevation gain. By day 5 or 6 I can do 12 to 14 miles. For getting in shape I climb the capital stairs, 22 floors, 3 or 4 trips.

SteelCut
07-04-2016, 12:28
Can I add this... For the successful thru hikers, How many days did it take you to hike from Springer to the NC state line? Thanks.

Map Man has crunched all the numbers: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/44-AT-Hiking-Rates-Section-by-Section

soumodeler
07-04-2016, 13:22
Most people can do GA in 7 days. I would not worry about it and just walk.

If you are shuttling, get the shuttle at the beginning of the trip and walk back to your car. That way you do not have to worry about keeping schedule for a shuttle.

Where do you plan on getting off at? Deep Gap? Winding Stair?

map man
07-04-2016, 13:27

The "average" completing NOBO thru-hiker takes eight days to get to the GA/NC border. More details are at the article SteelCut links to.

-Rush-
07-04-2016, 14:08
78.5 miles to Bly Gap from Springer. 11 days is doable at 7 miles/day if everything goes as planned (it rarely does) and you take no zeros. Most hikers attempting a thru are putting in at least 10 miles/day through GA. I made it there in 9 days with an average of 8 miles/day and a zero or two.

skinnbones
07-04-2016, 14:17
I'm thinking of taking my first zero day in Franklin. Getting off at Winding stair. The guide book says a shuttle bus picks up at Winding Stairs 3 times daily.

skinnbones
07-04-2016, 14:19
Rush> I know all my plans will be useless once I hit the trail. You are very close to what I have planned, except not planning first zero until Franklin.

kayak karl
07-04-2016, 15:06
I left on 1/1 and got to border on the 10th and I was slow. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=260073

Venchka
07-04-2016, 15:17
... Also, I would resupply twice ( Neel Gap & Dick's Creek Gap) and visit one town of Hiawassee, Georgia.

I'm confused. Is Dick's Creek Gap the road crossing to go into Hiawassee? So, the second resupply, Dick's Creek Gap & Hiawassee are all the same thing? More less.

Wayne

soumodeler
07-04-2016, 15:20
I'm confused. Is Dick's Creek Gap the road crossing to go into Hiawassee? So, the second resupply, Dick's Creek Gap & Hiawassee are all the same thing? More less.

Wayne

You can get to Hiawassee from either Dicks Creek gap or Unicoi gap. You can resupply either in town or at top of Georgia hostel at Dicks Creek gap.

Venchka
07-04-2016, 15:24
OK. Going into Hiawassee is optional unless you want to shop at a real super market, do a load of clothes and maybe get a burger, fries & a $5.00 shake.
Thanks.

Wayne

Teacher & Snacktime
07-04-2016, 18:11
Does this sound reasonable or is 11 days to the NC state line walking at a snail's pace?

Personally I think the idea of walking at a snail's pace to be perfectly reasonable :)

Lone Wolf
07-04-2016, 18:20
So, I'm looking at my Awol Nobo guide book and I have figured that on day eleven I would reach Bly Gap in NC. That's about 7 miles per day of hiking. Also, I would resupply twice ( Neel Gap & Dick's Creek Gap) and visit one town of Hiawassee, Georgia. Does this sound reasonable or is 11 days to the NC state line walking at a snail's pace?

sounds very reasonable. you doin' a thru-hike?

skinnbones
07-04-2016, 18:31
Yepper, this coming April.

Lone Wolf
07-04-2016, 18:35
Yepper, this coming April.

don't let your walk become about the destination like most

skinnbones
07-04-2016, 19:08
It's not Lone Wolf. I'm just trying to have a plan. Trying to absorb all the info in AWOL guide book.

Lone Wolf
07-04-2016, 19:20
It's not Lone Wolf. I'm just trying to have a plan. Trying to absorb all the info in AWOL guide book.

info overload. just plan the day you're gonna start then let things happen

skinnbones
07-04-2016, 19:24
Yepper, I already said my plans go out the window when I begin. One thing is certain, I will thru hike this trail.

Slo-go'en
07-04-2016, 20:38
Going real slow means carrying a lot of food and carrying a lot of food is heavy which makes you go slow. Vicious circle.

It's way too early to be obsessing about mileage. Neel Gap is your first stop at 30 miles and nearly everyone can do that in 3-4 days. At Mountain crossings you can get enough food for the next 2-3 days it takes to get to Hiawassee. Then on to Top of Georgia, and so on and so on.

Right now you need to be figuring out what gear to get to keep your pack under 30 pounds with a reasonable amount of food and water so you don't kill yourself right off and can do 10+ miles from the get go.

egilbe
07-04-2016, 20:49
don't let your walk become about the destination like most

So many nobos I saw this weekend just focused on Katahdin. Most of them weren't even having fun. It's become just something they have to get over with. The sobos we saw, it was still new enough to them where it was still an enjoyable adventure. The difference between the two was pretty distinct.

Lone Wolf
07-04-2016, 20:54
So many nobos I saw this weekend just focused on Katahdin. Most of them weren't even having fun. It's become just something they have to get over with. The sobos we saw, it was still new enough to them where it was still an enjoyable adventure. The difference between the two was pretty distinct.

yeah, so true. i was smart enuf to quit a few times when it was no fun anymore. a pic at that sign is no goal

Maydog
07-05-2016, 07:06
Yepper, I already said my plans go out the window when I begin. One thing is certain, I will thru hike this trail.

"Plans are useless. Planning is indispensable." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Gambit McCrae
07-05-2016, 08:33
Met a guy at War Spur Shelter (Mile 666.8) this Sunday thru hiking, He has been on the trail since January...You do the math

egilbe
07-05-2016, 08:51
Met a guy at War Spur Shelter (Mile 666.8) this Sunday thru hiking, He has been on the trail since January...You do the math

Tipi Walter?

I met a hiker this weekend going by the name Tortuga. Not sure exactly where he started, probably flip flopping. Retired Spanish teacher, named himself because he was so slow. He started hiking the trail with a wooden framed backpack. He has since came to his senses and is now much lighter.

Contrast Tortuga with a 19 year year old Lasher going by the name Captian Jack, and no, I know how to spell Captain. Jack's goal was to do 20 to 30 mile days. He doesn't know the first thing about field sanitation or personal hygiene. We caught him washing his cookpot in the water source after he was done eating out of it. Tortuga met Jack in Barrington. Jack keeps getting hurt, or sick and has to come off trail to recover. Sunshine and the Professor found Jack passed out on the side of the trail, sick from Norovirus. Too dumb to not hike. Now they are in Maine, still hiking with the kid who wants to do 30 mile days. Through Maine. I met Jack at Poplar Ridge Shelter. His goal the next day was to camp at Horns Pond. I laughed and told him good luck with that.

Who do you thnk is enjoying hmself more? Jack? Or Tortuga?

Slo-go'en
07-05-2016, 09:26
Tipi Walter?

I met a hiker this weekend going by the name Tortuga. Not sure exactly where he started, probably flip flopping.

I hiked with Tortuga through PA and meet up with him again for a few days when he got to Gorham. He did the southern half of the AT last year, this year he's finishing the northern half. I first met him on the train to Harpers Ferry.

It really pisses me off when I find someone doing dishes or washing in the water source.

Anyway, I meet several hikers who had to go home due to injury from pushing too hard for too long. Stress fractures have been common. One has to find a comfortable pace. Too slow and you run out of time and money, too fast you hurt yourself.

Bronk
07-05-2016, 10:08
“Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. The reality of your own nature should determine the speed. If you become restless, speed up. If you become winded, slow down. You climb the mountain in an equilibrium between restlessness and exhaustion.”
“To live only for some future goal is shallow. It's the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top.”

Both by Robert Pirsig in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Bronk
07-05-2016, 10:11
When I first started at Springer it took me nearly a week to make the first 30 miles. Someone who is in shape and not carrying an overloaded pack probably does that in two days. It will all depend on you. 7 miles a day might nearly kill you. Or you might have it done in 2 or 3 hours and wonder what you're going to do with the rest of your day.

Bronk
07-05-2016, 10:31
Met a guy at War Spur Shelter (Mile 666.8) this Sunday thru hiking, He has been on the trail since January...You do the mathIt took me 4 months to make it to Waynesboro. I was having a lot of fun. If I got up in the morning and hiked 2 miles and found a really cool camping spot I'd stop and read a book all day. I always carried a couple of extra days worth of food so I could afford to do things like that. I picked up a good book in Erwin and it took me 4 days to make it to the first shelter outside of Erwin.

Going at that pace just about everybody passed me. When I got off the trail in Waynesboro there were 3 other people in town that had started at Springer the same day as me. One of them was homeless and broke and had to stop and try to find odd jobs in every town in order to get his resupply and that really slowed him down. The other two were a couple who were towing a car behind a van and slackpacking most of the trail...they spent a great deal of time driving back and forth shuttling their vehicles.

Nooga
07-05-2016, 10:51
When I hiked in 2012, I purposefully kept my mileage down until Damascus to allow my body time to acclimate to stress and strain of the trail. My thought was that I could not make the hike in April / May, but you can certainly blow it. Pushing too hard, too soon can lead to injuries and / or burn out.

RockDoc
07-05-2016, 13:26
You will have a better idea of your capability, and learn a lot of other things, if you go out and do a shakedown hike or three.

Secondmouse
07-05-2016, 14:33
I guess that's what I'm asking. I am a newbie and many folks on this page warn to begin slow. Looking at the guide book, not really trying to pick daily mileage, but rather when and where to tent and resupply. I'm sure my plans will be useless once I begin walking.

you're from Florida. how much hiking have you done in mountains?..

skinnbones
07-05-2016, 16:02
you're from Florida. how much hiking have you done in mountains?.. I'm from Pennsylvania, lived in North Carolina for a long time, and spent 2 years in West Virginia. I have never backpacked, but have day hiked many state park trails.

saltysack
07-05-2016, 16:55
You don't need mountains to get in trail shape. I'm a flatlander...l stay active, keep in shape via cross training and dont have any problem hitting the trail doing 15-20 mpd out the gate. I'm 41 and not an AT thru hiker only a lowly section Hiker. It's a different ball game if your talking out west where you have serious elevation but never had an issue on the east coast. I did the Jmt in under 13 days without training on mountains....general conditioning goes along way backpacking in my opinion.

Another Kevin
07-05-2016, 17:42
For what it's worth - I'm not a long-distance hiker but I've done a lot of short sections.

I don't hike enough ever really to get my "trail legs." I'm seldom starting right off the couch since I roadwalk 2-3 miles with a heavy daypack every single day, but I'm often not in hiking fettle.

For an on-trail outing, I tend to plan no more than a 6-8 mile day the first day out, because I can never manage to get an early start out of town. Sometimes it's a few miles of night hiking to get to my first night's tent site. The next couple of days, 8-10 miles, and thereafter 8-12. That gets me up to a four-day weekend, which is as long as a lot of my trips get. On one somewhat longer hike (138 miles) I was able to up the mileage carefully. The last couple of days were in the 14-15 range.

So the question is: how many hours are you content hanging around in camp or lazing at your lunch stop? My pace is fairly slow: I figure on 30 minutes to the mile plus 40 minutes per thousand feet of elevation change (up or down). Several of the guides have the elevation tables. I find I'm doing a lot of photography, mapping, reading and writing the first few days while I'm letting my body adapt, because I'd go nuts with nothing to do for that long. On the longer trip, I found that the 15 mile day was really comfortable. With moderate ups and downs, it was about ten hours of hiking time. It allowed for a couple of hours in the evening doing the chores, cooking and eating, an hour or so in the morning to wake up lazily, make coffee and break camp, enough of a lunch break to do things like wash my socks, and a little bit of unaccounted time for photography or swimming or whatever, and still enough time for a good night's sleep. But at the start of the trip, my body wouldn't have stood up to it. I was a week and a half in at that point.

I don't hike in the South (yet) but I imagine that my routine getting out of Georgia would be similar.

egilbe
07-05-2016, 17:52
My GF and i tend to get up early and eat, drink coffee and are usually one of the first to get on the trail. We take lots of breaks, take pictures and talk to the hikers that we pass, or pass us. We go until we are tired. If we are at a shelter, we talk to those we meet at the shelter, we socialize a bit, swap stories, or lies, set up camp and eat. Its relaxing and enjoyable. MY GF realized this weekend, that doing the AT in sections is probably a more enjoyable way of hiking it, but she still wants to do a through hike one day. We will probably go at our own pace and find a loose group of people that we enjoy hanging out with, like the group we met this weekend. Ironically, we gave a hiker a ride to Rangeley, who at one time was hiking with Tortuga, Snipe, Sunshine and The Professor. I didnt think to get his name, but he was hiking to catch up to them.

rafe
07-05-2016, 19:50

Rough figure, starting thru hikers do maybe 10-12 miles/day through GA. Average. But average is pretty meaningless... For one thing, the range is huge, exceptions all over the place, etc. My number based on casual observation.

If you've got your gear dialed in, and are in shape, etc., you can do more. Or if you want to relax, you can go as slow as you like.

There's no need to let the statistics set your goals.

Trailweaver
07-06-2016, 01:02
As you have noted, it will all go out to the wayside once you start hiking. But. . . I note that you are from Florida, where the land is flat. There is no way for you to adequately train for the Ga section hike really. It also depends on your age and fitness. That said, I think it's great to go at a snail's pace thru there - the trail is steep in parts, rocky, and difficult for people just starting out. If you start out with the expectation of hiking 10-15 miles thru there, you're going to be sadly disappointed in all likelihood. If you start out expecting to do 7 miles per day and you get 5, so what? You know you will get better as you go along. I think you can very likely get 7, and maybe more. Just start walking and see what you do get. There are numerous shuttle drivers there, and you will have phone reception (at higher elevation), so you can call for a shuttle when you get to a crossing. You'll be fine. But as others have said, starting slow makes sense, because that way you avoid injuries, and the hike is what it's all about - taking your time to see what is out there.

DavidNH
07-06-2016, 09:05
skinnbones.. the Georgia section of the AT is about 76 miles in length. Most people can do this in about a week.. that's an average of 10 miles per day. When I through hiked in 2006, I used my first day to hike from Amicolola falls to Springer on the Approach trail. Then it was 6-7 days more to NC state line.

It's a good idea to start out in 5-10 mpd range but in a few days going 10 miles gets easier. Some make the big mistake of trying to hike 15-20 miles per day right out of the gate. That's not a good idea.. you need time for body to adjust. It also depends to an extent what kind of shape you are in when you first start. Else you can get burned out.

Your first resupply will be at Neels Gap. This is because there is a hostel here right on the trail, also a fully stocked gear store. That's a good 3 days in.

Your first serious steep climb comes tight after the NC state line. North Carolina has much bigger mountains than does Georgia.

To quickly answer your question.. 10 days through Georgia is very much a snails pace. 7 is average. Less than a week.. those are the gogetters.. usually college kids.

tdoczi
07-06-2016, 09:14
I met Jack at Poplar Ridge Shelter. His goal the next day was to camp at Horns Pond. I laughed and told him good luck with that.

Who do you thnk is enjoying hmself more? Jack? Or Tortuga?

early last july i met a thru hiker in rangely. older, easily in his 50s. had started in april. i drove him from town to the trailhead on my way to east flagstaff road to hike back south. i dropped him at the trailhead at about 8am. i saw him the next day around 1pm descending crocker mountain to the road crossing at stratton. if he was of a mind to do it, i have no doubt he made it to horn's pond that day. maybe even beyond.

he was definitely enjoying himself.

on the other hand, if i was trying to do what tortuga is doing i would have gotten bored of it and went home long long ago.

DavidNH
07-06-2016, 09:37
I just wanted to add here.. don't sweat if you are hiking very snow and smelling the roses for your first couple weeks. You'll get more miles in as time goes on. One thing I was told by an older couple from VT that helped me a lot.. you only have to average about 12 miles per day over the entire trip to thru hike the AT in six months!

Secondmouse
07-07-2016, 11:23
You don't need mountains to get in trail shape. I'm a flatlander...l stay active, keep in shape via cross training and dont have any problem hitting the trail doing 15-20 mpd out the gate. I'm 41 and not an AT thru hiker only a lowly section Hiker. It's a different ball game if your talking out west where you have serious elevation but never had an issue on the east coast. I did the Jmt in under 13 days without training on mountains....general conditioning goes along way backpacking in my opinion.

sorry, I don't agree that flat land is adequate training for mountains, particularly if you are a bit overweight, or older as the OP is. I'm 61 and I can walk all day on the flat, but the last 10 days I did on the trail had my knees throbbing for days afterwards.

going up and down hills with a weight on your back puts strain on joints, ligaments, and tendons that you can't replicate by flat land walking, no matter the pace or distance.

I assume you have overcome this by your crossfit training but anything that can strengthen and condition these anatomical structures, like an eliptical or Stairmaster would help. however, IMO the best thing is to just do stairs. Stadium stairs are perfect, with their weird spacing, but regular old stairs are great too.

up and down, several sets a day till you reach your goal. take it easy at first, you don't want to get sore joints, etc... when you stop being muscle-sore, start adding weight gradually...

saltysack
07-07-2016, 11:46
sorry, I don't agree that flat land is adequate training for mountains, particularly if you are a bit overweight, or older as the OP is. I'm 61 and I can walk all day on the flat, but the last 10 days I did on the trail had my knees throbbing for days afterwards.

going up and down hills with a weight on your back puts strain on joints, ligaments, and tendons that you can't replicate by flat land walking, no matter the pace or distance.

I assume you have overcome this by your crossfit training but anything that can strengthen and condition these anatomical structures, like an eliptical or Stairmaster would help. however, IMO the best thing is to just do stairs. Stadium stairs are perfect, with their weird spacing, but regular old stairs are great too.

up and down, several sets a day till you reach your goal. take it easy at first, you don't want to get sore joints, etc... when you stop being muscle-sore, start adding weight gradually...

Agree..I meant with proper training not just walking...I feel weight training is key. I can't jog more than 3-4 miles on flat ground but don't have an issues hiking 20mpd in the mountains. Try walking in the soft sand on the beach...that is an arse kicker. I also really like the stair machine that has the revolving stairs....too damn hot even at night here to train outdoors...ready to get the hell out of here!!! This was last night near 8:00!!!http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160707/de05eddeae5bdab903254d06e3e74aac.jpg

Doctari
07-07-2016, 18:32
11 Days sound good to me. I took about that on my first section 20+ years ago. (I was about 38 then) I was carrying a [Gasp] 65+ Lb pack. My friend Privy Monster did his first 20 days at about 5 MPD & did fine. His thought was: slow mean less chance of injury. Less chance of injury, means better chance of finishing my Thru.

bstiffler
07-07-2016, 20:03
I'm thinking of taking my first zero day in Franklin. Getting off at Winding stair. The guide book says a shuttle bus picks up at Winding Stairs 3 times daily.

you may want to check on that before you go. When I was in North Georgia, there were a couple places the guide claimed had shuttles that were not running when I there in May. Some of them were only mar and april when the rush was going through it seems.

saltysack
07-08-2016, 10:40
you may want to check on that before you go. When I was in North Georgia, there were a couple places the guide claimed had shuttles that were not running when I there in May. Some of them were only mar and april when the rush was going through it seems.

WSG is at a well travelled Hwy doubt you would have an issue hitching..ATT didn't have service at the Gap or even at top of Albert mtn fire tower as of last year.

mandolindave
07-08-2016, 12:58
Then there is the Tortoise and the Hare story. Yeah it's not a race, but sometimes I can be either. The Tortoise won't get as many blisters, shin splints, and sore knees. The Hare can stop for a nap, a long lunch to wait out the afternoon heat, or stop when he smells roses. Life is a balance that you and your body choose at any given moment.

skinnbones
07-08-2016, 18:35
Then there is the Tortoise and the Hare story. Yeah it's not a race, but sometimes I can be either. The Tortoise won't get as many blisters, shin splints, and sore knees. The Hare can stop for a nap, a long lunch to wait out the afternoon heat, or stop when he smells roses. Life is a balance that you and your body choose at any given moment.
Thumbs up on this.

Theosus
07-08-2016, 19:52

Agreed. Trail book after trail book talks of people that overdo it at the beginning and either injure themselves or wear out. If you push your body too hard, day after day, it will give up on you at some point. Don't be stuck on the idea of shelters, either. I've noticed in the AWOL guide that the shelters aren't always in the greatest places, mile wise. Have a tent, walk until you decide you're tired, and then camp.
The thing that most intrigues me about a thru-hike to me is the total freedom. On three or four day hikes we get dropped off and have to do X miles a day to get to the car. Some days are death marches, and that's NOT why I got into hiking. At least on a thru hike you can say at any time, "this is a beautiful spot, I'll camp here", and as long as you have enough food to get there, you can take your time getting to town. I envy the freedom of the long distance hiker, but too many seem to be rushing for the fastest trip, the longest miles and of course the ever-present northern end, which they have to reach before the winter closing.
I'd love to do a long section hike. Start at Hot Springs, NC and spend a month just walking NOBO - with no goal in mind other than to have a good time and see the sights.

Don H
07-08-2016, 20:16

Took me 7 days in 2011. I was the same age then as you are now, 52. I was intentionally taking my time, giving myself time to get my trail legs.