PDA

View Full Version : Hiking 19e to erwin

jarrod
07-04-2016, 12:41
This summer I will hiking this section of the A.T. with a group of boy scouts about 15 of us. Since we have a large group we are trying to stay away from using shelters. This is our plan of action so far any opinions on choice of camping areas? Is there enough room to get 5 tents set up near these shelters? Or any information on this section of the trail we should know about. Thanks

[ ]Sunday hike 6.3 miles to bradley gap campsite
[ ]Monday hike 10 miles to roan high nob shelter(fall back is ash gap 11.6)
[ ]Tuesday hike 8.7 miles to campsite(this campsite has no name but it is in the A.T guide and on the map)
[ ]Wendsday hike 8.1 miles to cherry gap shelter
[ ]Thursday hike 12.8 miles to curly maple gap shelter.
[ ]Friday hike back to cars 4.2 miles.

Slo-go'en
07-04-2016, 13:18
The shelter sites will have space for 5 or more tents. But there could be people already using these sites when you get there. Wait, 5 tents for 15 people? Those need to be big tents and will take up a lot of space.

Campsites listed in the guide tend to be small and only suitable for a few people at a time. I would not count on them and with a group that large should be avoided. 15 people can trample a large area and disposing of your poop properly in the morning can be a problem.

Group size should be limited to no more then 10 total for respect to other users. Break the group into two parties and hike from opposite directions.

SteelCut
07-04-2016, 13:33
Overmountain Shelter is probably a better option than Bradley Gap which is slopey and rooted from what I remember. It's a bit of uphill to get over Little Hump and then it's easy down hill to Overmountain. But it may be a bit of a long day for Scouts based on the elevation gain to get over Hump Mountain.

Ash Gap has lots of tent sites.

Cherry Gap does have lots of tent sites from what I remember.

The tenting around Curley Maple is limited and sloped. I think I remember something about more tenting uphill on a side trail from the shelter but I have never checked it out and I can't immediately find any online reference to it. There are not any other great tenting options until you down almost to the Nolichucky River and at that point you are so close to Erwin you might as well keep going.

As mentioned above, 15 is a pretty big group for some of these campsites.

cutter
07-04-2016, 13:59
Bradley Gap is fine for a group your size. I've camped there with scouts many times. The climb up and over Big Hump is substantial. Being your first day on the trail and likely a hot summer day, you may want to stop at the gap instead of going over Little Hump and down to Overmountain Shelter. Also, if it is hot and sunny you'll find more shade at Bradley Gap. The tent space at the shelter is mostly open. One thing that might alter your plans, though, is water. You may find dry springs at higher elevations this time of year. Talk to hikers coming from the opposite direction to get info on water status.

jarrod
07-04-2016, 14:03
Thanks for the replys! I will keep in mind about the having a large group. It will not be possible for us to break up and go separate ways. But we do have a wide range of ages going so we may see to have the older/faster hikeing scouts head to to overmoutian and the rest campg at bradley. If we do end up camping together we always to use leave no trace. And are very considerit of others. Again thanksoon for the info in these campsites.

MuddyWaters
07-04-2016, 16:34
Thanks for the replys! I will keep in mind about the having a large group. It will not be possible for us to break up and go separate ways. But we do have a wide range of ages going so we may see to have the older/faster hikeing scouts head to to overmoutian and the rest campg at bradley. If we do end up camping together we always to use leave no trace. And are very considerit of others. Again thanksoon for the info in these campsites.

It would be considerate of others to follow regulations spelled out in the compendium of orders, which clearly states limit group size to 10 for overnight. Ignoring regulation because they dont suit you reflects badly onyou, but more importantly, on scouts.

Tennessee Viking
07-05-2016, 08:48
Most of the trail SOBO of Hughes Gap is ridgeline/hillside. Tenting 15 is going to be tight. I would probably suggest Overmountain instead of Bradley Gap. Its big enough outside and inside for 15. Ash Gap is good for your numbers. Unaka summit or Deep Gap field or Beauty Spot instead of Cherry.

You are probably looking at Greasy Creek Gap or High Rock Knob for the unnamed site. Very small sites. Try for the apple orchard.

I would suggest splitting your group in two. One NOBO and one SOBO. NOBO has easier grades.

volleypc
07-05-2016, 09:08
As far as impact you are probably going to be better off using the shelter sites. These sites already have more impact in most locations so setting up this many tents at these locations will do less damage than trying to force this many tents into small campsites along the trail.

saltysack
07-05-2016, 10:55
Agree with others about group size but if your set on the size why not offset it with doing trail maintenance along the way....clear blow downs, pick up trash etc and teach good land stewardship as most scouts do. Have fun...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tennessee Viking
07-05-2016, 11:12
Check with TEHCC. Boy scouts are big helpers doing maintenance. They helped rehab Curley Maple years back.

JumpMaster Blaster
07-08-2016, 20:46
Please break your group up. 15 hikers is a stampede.