PDA

View Full Version : BMT - 2 or 3 days in GA

Ankle Bone
07-05-2016, 12:20
Any recommendations on a good short section in GA? I've done the first sections to GA 60; just looking for a weekend option other than AT

Thanks!

TNhiker
07-05-2016, 17:10
im not familiar with the GA sections....

but, there are some good places in TN for 2 or 3 days...

----big frog area..............can make a nice loop if you are not using two cars or shuttle...
----kirkland creek, brookshire, BMT trails make a nice loop in the bald river area....
----also in bald river area----sycamore creek trail to whigg meadow also makes a nice loop......

AO2134
07-05-2016, 22:39
Any recommendations on a good short section in GA? I've done the first sections to GA 60; just looking for a weekend option other than AT

Thanks!

Last year I completed the entire BMT in a series of 9 sections. I created a "video guide" of the trail showing the main attractions, campsites, intersections, etc. The video is all about the trail. I am barely in it, but you do hear my annoying voice.

You could take a look at the videos and find a section. At the end of the video, I took the time to find (as best as I could) exact coordinates for trail access points with parking.

The BMT crosses GA 60 twice, which one did you go to? Also, what would be the approximate distance you would like to cover in that time. I may be able to make a recommendation based on that.

We did Springer to Wilscot Gap as a 2 day weekend hike.

Wilscot Gap to Appalachian Hwy as a day hike.

Appalachian Hwy**** to Dally Gap (not officially on BMT, but connects via 0.5 mile Jacks River trail I believe).

Dally Gap to Unicoi Gap.

Unicoi Gap to Mud Gap.

Mud Gap to Fontana Dam.

Fontana Dam to Noland Creek Trailhead.

Noland Creek Trailhead to Smokemont Campground.

Smokemont Campground to Big Creek Ranger Station.

*** GA is a little more difficult to do as a section hiker unfortunately because of the road walk/private property near Appalachian highway. There is no "real" parking lot at Appalachian Hwy. Of the County Road, there is a cleared out area that a local said hikers could park there overnight. Of course, others may think otherwise, but I did leave my car there overnight once without any trouble and left it there for a day hike without any trouble.

If you could give me where you left off (which of the 2 GA 60 crossings) and how many miles you'd like to do, I may be able to help make a recommendation for you.

Hope this helps.

Ankle Bone
07-06-2016, 08:13
Last year I completed the entire BMT in a series of 9 sections. I created a "video guide" of the trail showing the main attractions, campsites, intersections, etc. The video is all about the trail. I am barely in it,
If you could give me where you left off (which of the 2 GA 60 crossings) and how many miles you'd like to do, I may be able to help make a recommendation for you.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I'll check out the video for sure.

We did a 2 day from the starting point on Springer to the first crossing of GA 60. Can't remember the name of the Gap, but definitely the first crossing.

Depending on how many days my hiking partner can spare, either 2 or 3 days of hiking, so sections of 20-35 miles would be ideal.

Thanks for the help!