PDA

View Full Version : Looking for other trails??

Green Bean
01-05-2006, 23:02
I have been hiking on a couple trails around the area including the AT but it seems that everytime a couple of us go out for a backpacking trip we need to travel farther and farther away to hike on the AT. SO i was just looking for other trails around the Harrisburg, PA area (usually go out on the weekends or when we have a day off of school) Thanks! ~ Green Bean

MOWGLI
01-05-2006, 23:05
I have been hiking on a couple trails around the area including the AT but it seems that everytime a couple of us go out for a backpacking trip we need to travel farther and farther away to hike on the AT. SO i was just looking for other trails around the Harrisburg, PA area (usually go out on the weekends or when we have a day off of school) Thanks! ~ Green Bean

I can't provide any specifics, but the Keystone Trail Association is a good resource. http://www.kta-hike.org/trails.htm

I heard tell that PA has more hiking trails, over 50 miles in length, than any other state.

Green Bean
01-05-2006, 23:36
sorry something weird happened

Green Bean
01-05-2006, 23:39
cool deal. Yeha somewhere sometime i heard something or rather about all the trails in PA. THanks
~"Here is where the beginner begins and the Master ends". ~

Topcat
01-05-2006, 23:39
check out the Mason-Dixon trail. It isnt too far from you and actually splits from the AT.

dixicritter
01-05-2006, 23:52
I merged the two threads for ya. :)

Cookerhiker
01-06-2006, 07:39
There's also the Tuscarora Trail which splits from the AT around Cove Mountain, heads south, and rejoins the AT in the northern section of Shenandoah National Park. It's maintained by the PATC:
http://www.patc.org

There's also quite a few trails further north on either side of Williamsport.

Green Bean
01-06-2006, 14:23
Thanks dixie!!

Spirit Walker
01-06-2006, 15:11
The best hiking in PA is north central - near Williamsburg/Renovo. There are some really nice remote trails up there. My favorite is the 90 mile Donut Hole, but Chuck Keiper is good for a couple of weekends (50 mile loop that can be divided into smaller hikes) as is the Black Forest. The Quehanna is a 60 mile loop. The Susquehannock is an 80 mile loop. The Bucktail is about 30 miles long. The Midstate Trail goes all the way from Maryland to New York, but is still missing a couple of sections. The Link Trail connects the Tuscarora with the Midstate - but be aware that the trail has changed a lot so the guidebook is totally out of date. You need to go to the Link Trail website for information. The Allegheny Front trail is another loop trail that is good for a weekend or two. Anything north of I-80 will be nice hiking. South of there is usually ridgetop hiking with good views but lots of rocks. Still worth doing. You can get more information on the KTA site, or help build and/or maintain them thru the trailcare weekends.

Spirit Walker
01-06-2006, 15:12
Sorry - wrong state. Williamsport, not Williamsburg.

Green Bean
01-08-2006, 17:28
right on!! appreciate the help it goes a long way!!!!