PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping pad input needed.

bikeandhike
07-05-2016, 15:41
I'm hiking NOBO in early march next year and wanted to get some input about a sleeping pad.

I will have a 20 degree quilt, my girlfriend will have a 20 degree bag.

I am looking at two Therm-a-Rest pads:
The NeoAir XTherm or the NeoAir XLite.

The trade offs are obviously warmth for weight...do we need the XTherms or would the XLites be sufficient?
I would like to stay with one pad for the entire hike.

Thanks for your thoughts.

bikeandhike
07-05-2016, 15:43
I would add we will be camping in a tent as much as possible and not using the shelters.

cmoulder
07-05-2016, 16:31
Xtherms, or Neoairs augmented with 3/8" CCF pads.

soumodeler
07-05-2016, 16:36

Agreed. My XLite with a 19* bag is doable at 20, but I can feel the ground stealing warmth. I will be investing in an XTherm for this winter.

saltysack
07-05-2016, 16:43

+1..I own both but this works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikeandhike
07-05-2016, 17:30
hadn't thought about the additional CCF pad option, thanks

bigcranky
07-05-2016, 19:52
Xtherm, the extra warmth is quite wonderful. My wife stopped complaining about being cold all the time when we got her one.

That said, we just bought an Exped Hyperlite Duo, which is an insulated 2 person pad. It costs a lot and weighs a lot, but it costs and weighs less than two separate pads. After one weekend hike I am sold -- up next, the 2 person quilt from E.E. :)

egilbe
07-05-2016, 20:39
Xtherm, the extra warmth is quite wonderful. My wife stopped complaining about being cold all the time when we got her one.

That said, we just bought an Exped Hyperlite Duo, which is an insulated 2 person pad. It costs a lot and weighs a lot, but it costs and weighs less than two separate pads. After one weekend hike I am sold -- up next, the 2 person quilt from E.E. :)

Hmmm...I have the accomplice from ee. Gonna have to check out the exped mat.

MtDoraDave
07-05-2016, 21:31
The CCF pads are all you need for insulation - but I can't sleep on one (or two - I've tried), too firm.

I went with the thermarest prolite plus. R 3.4, 1.5" thick, and 1lb 6oz. @ $100. A vast improvement as far as comfort goes. Even on my side, which I usually end up on.

The xtherm is thicker, better R value, lighter, and packs smaller... and only $50 more? Wow. Guess I'd choose that one if I was in the market right now.

Venchka
07-05-2016, 21:53
My choice:
Xtherm Large. All the time.
If/when I get into a real winter situation, I'll add my CCF pad.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

LIhikers
07-05-2016, 22:25
I have a Neoair All Season. It does a good job insulating me from cold ground.

greentick
07-06-2016, 12:29
I like the z-rest. If you are tenting and not on a shelter floor you may find it comfortable enough. And it will never "let you down" with a leak.

I've come full circle. Uncle Sam gave me my first CCF. Then he issued a green thermarest (which let me down, no fun with temps below 0). Then I started hiking and went through a couple of inflatables. Now back to a CCF, albeit a better designed one then the old GI pad. Plus the bright yellow helps make you a visible hiker if you're into that.

I'm currently a lightly padded 218# @6'3" and I find it comfortable enough for ground sleeping.

OldNorth
07-06-2016, 13:08
Will placing one of those emergency mylar blankets in between the ground and your pad decrease heat loss in any significant way?

Leo L.
07-06-2016, 14:05
When the reflectiv layer is in tight contact any possible decrease in heat loss will be overridden by increase of contact heat transfer.
So, no, it would not help in any way that you could feel or measure.
A reflective layer would help if its on the far side of an air gap.
You can do a quick test of this fact:
Take a reflective blanket, hold it very close, but not in contact to to your cheek - you will feel the warmth being reflected.
Press the same blanket tight to your cheek, and you will feel just the temperature of the blanket itself (which is exactly the same as the air around you).

Dogwood
07-06-2016, 20:31
Augmenting a NeoAir XLite with a 1-4-3/8" CCF pad OR a UL(Smaller volume than a CCF pad!) mylar type heat reflective "space blanket" should handle it. Throw in some sleeping clothes and chemical heat packs into the mix while inside an enclosed tent should do it for the coldest part of Mar-Apr. Leave off the NeoAir XLite OR CCF pad when it warms up.

You don't say but it sure makes a difference in underneath insulative warmth by the length, width, and R-value of inflatable you're considering even just among your two choices which DO come in different versions. For me, in Mar on a AT NOBO I'd like a longer pad having more insulation underneath if using a tent, tarp, tarptent, or attempting to skimp on sleeping bag/quilt temp rating or planning many lean-to sleeps. For summer, when I want less insulation underneath I like a NeoAir XLite Shortie at R- value of 3.2 at 47"x20"x2.5". https://www.rei.com/product/881574/therm-a-rest-neoair-xlite-sleeping-pad But when colder I'll switch to the Neo Air XLite WOMEN'S at R Value of 3.9 at 66"x20"X2.5". https://www.rei.com/product/881598/therm-a-rest-neoair-xlite-sleeping-pad-womens This alone can make all the difference in sleeping warm! If need be I'll throw in the body heat reflective CHEAP mylar as a ground sheet under the XLite WOMEN'S pad. ;)

Dogwood
07-06-2016, 20:35
Why have a heavier bulkier Xtherm when perhaps you don't need the warmth going into summer when you can get the XTherm benefits by breaking the insulation down into components from a base standard you can augment having a wider range of usage rather than having so many dedicated(summer, winter, etc) pads. ?

Venchka
07-06-2016, 23:22
Why have a heavier bulkier Xtherm when perhaps you don't need the warmth going into summer when you can get the XTherm benefits by breaking the insulation down into components from a base standard you can augment having a wider range of usage rather than having so many dedicated(summer, winter, etc) pads. ?

Form follows function in my book.
In instance, the Xtherm Large fills all of my sleep system needs 95% of the time. As I said earlier, I own a CCF pad to add to the Xtherm when needed.
The Xtherm gives me the best nights sleep on the ground that I have ever had. Period. I'm going to mess with success.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

QiWiz
07-11-2016, 11:39
I'm hiking NOBO in early march next year and wanted to get some input about a sleeping pad.

I will have a 20 degree quilt, my girlfriend will have a 20 degree bag.

I am looking at two Therm-a-Rest pads:
The NeoAir XTherm or the NeoAir XLite.

The trade offs are obviously warmth for weight...do we need the XTherms or would the XLites be sufficient?
I would like to stay with one pad for the entire hike.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Since you are starting in early March, the XTherm may be a better choice.

egilbe
07-11-2016, 17:00
Nothing like freezing to ruin a nights sleep