PDA

View Full Version : Sams Gap to Allen Gap water question

NC Blaster
07-06-2016, 10:45
Doing a section hike from Allen Gap to Sams Gap soon. Does anyone have any news on water sources? I apologize if it is posted elsewhere. I haven't been on WB for a while. Also, does anyone have an opinion of NB or SB?

Thanks for the help.

oldwetherman
07-06-2016, 19:40
As of 10 days ago there was water at Flint Mountain shelter, Jerry's Cabin shelter and Little Laurel shelter. I have no strong opinion for either direction.

Mr. Bumpy
07-06-2016, 21:43
Mostly reliable water at shelters and road crossings. Little anywhere else so if you see it fill up and maybe consider carrying an extra liter about what you usually take. It has been pretty dry this year, but just this week there have been thunderstorms up that way. (I live about 15 miles from Sams Gap).
I like to go from Sams Gap to Hot Springs. Car is more secure in HS, you can jump in the river at HS, beer and burger is not available at Sams Gap, and you get l long downhill run into HS with options to cut miles if time became a problem.

Mr. Bumpy
07-06-2016, 21:47
Sorry, I just saw that you posted take out at Allen's Gap. Car is equally vulnerable there as it is at Sams Gap. Perhaps more so. So obviously I'd recommend you figure out a way to go to HS.

NC Blaster
07-07-2016, 08:13
I was considering leaving my car at Hemlock Hollow and getting a shuttle from there to Sams Gap. Thanks for the water info. A friend of mine was fishing in the Harmon Den area this weekend and he said the streams were unusually low.

beaudetious
07-07-2016, 14:51
If I recall correctly, there is a 5 mile uphill after Laurel Shelter heading NB. I prefer going SB from Sam's Gap to avoid that monster.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

NC Blaster
07-12-2016, 14:01
Bump. Hike is coming up.

SteelCut
07-12-2016, 14:13
Western NC has been getting some pretty good rains over the past week. I think the water sources will be fine but I don't have current info on specific sources. I did Sam's to Hot Springs a month ago and it seems that starting at Sam's is probably the easier direction IMO.