PDA

View Full Version : Bear bag in the whites?

norman
07-06-2016, 14:01
My sons and me are taking off next week for a week in the Whites in New Hampshire....do we need to bear bag???

Slo-go'en
07-06-2016, 15:09
My sons and me are taking off next week for a week in the Whites in New Hampshire....do we need to bear bag???

A lot of the shelters now have bear boxes, but it's a good idea to hang your food if they are not available. There are bears about, though they aren't a significant problem, lets keep it that way.

peakbagger
07-06-2016, 15:42

You didn't mention if you were planning to be on the AT of if you were just somewhere in the whites. All of the AT shelters and tentsites (that I am aware of) now have bear boxes but the majority of the tent sites and what few shelters that are left off the AT in the forest may not. Bear issues have been going up exponentially in the whites of late and proper bear bagging technique is getting very important unless you want to take an unexpected detour to go back to town for resupply. Even if you are sticking to the AT, you may end up having to camp somewhere that doesn't have established campsite or shelter so bear bagging still may be required. There are couple of problem spots like Thirteen falls campground, Guyot Shelter and on occasion Osgood tentsites where bears could be a problem while cooking so its best to secure your food in the bear box or bear bag and only keep what you need.

Don't get the idea that bears are a significant issue, you will rarely see them in the woods but they are opportunistic and have figured out where to get free meal.

Peaks
07-08-2016, 18:50
The US Forest Service will loan you a bear canister. Take advantage of it unless you plan to stay at established campsites that have bear boxes or plan to camp in remote areas. Bears encounters are becoming more frequent.

rickb
07-08-2016, 19:57
Though not widely publicized, hikers are actually required to hang their food 10' up or otherwise see that it is properly stored throughout the WMNF.