PDA

View Full Version : What's a cool hike on the AT? (I'm talking temperature)...

lyagooshka
07-06-2016, 14:32
Greetings all,

We're projected to have a heat wave here in Allentown, PA this week.
This basically means I am not going outside.
I cannot stand the heat (physically, not just mentally).
I am not some snow creature who loves it -40, but I would take 40-60 all day, any day.

So, this time of year, what part of the trail is still like that?

I am guessing ME is close.
How about NH?
Mountains?

Along with that, how is the southern part of the trail when it's winter up here?
I know I've been in FL (Okeechobee) around Christmas and had days in the 70s and nights in the high 30s.

I'm guessing the mountains of GA are a 'bit' colder?

Tango Yankee!

Alex

egilbe
07-06-2016, 14:39
Well...its 90 right now here in Southern Maine on the coast. Its normally warmer inland. Forecast is for rain the rest of this week, thru the weekend. Dont want to be in the Whites during storms, Summer or Winter.

DavidNH
07-06-2016, 15:01
if you are looking for a cool hike where you can get away from the heat... I'd suggest the 100 mile wilderness section up in Maine. That is the AT section between Monson and Abol Bridge. In NH's White Mtns you are more likely to run into clouds, dampness, bad weather. Also.. it still gets very hot. Plan on swimming often.
If you don't want heat.. you need to eliminate any part of the AT south of Vermont and even there you need to pick your spots.

lyagooshka
07-06-2016, 15:06
If you don't want heat.. you need to eliminate any part of the AT south of Vermont and even there you need to pick your spots.

That was a big driver in my decision to section hike (many others too, but that was a big one).
I am planning MD in October, so 70s, then NJ/CT in April/May, so 50s, and on and on.

I was planning to do the HMW in August.
Heard it was still on the cool side and the bugs were a little more lax, and the water levels dropped way down by then.
Or was I misinformed?

Thanks,

Alex

Slo-go'en
07-06-2016, 15:31
Yep, it's up to 91 here in the valley today, the low last night was 58. Not too humid though. We're into the mid summer heat waves now, won't really cool down again until the middle of August.

It was kinda cold and damp when I went through PA in early May. As rough as that was, it beat being there now :)

Slo-go'en
07-06-2016, 15:38
I was planning to do the HMW in August.
Heard it was still on the cool side and the bugs were a little more lax, and the water levels dropped way down by then.
Or was I misinformed?
Alex

Depends on when in August. Early August can be quite warm, even up there. Late August the days are still on the warm side, but nights can get down right chilly. There is always a chance of having a weak cold front pushing through which will trigger t storms or showers before it cools the temps back down a little (or sometimes a lot).

MtDoraDave
07-09-2016, 08:36
I think a cool hike on the AT is more of a when than a where.
Sure cold fronts and heat waves can make a trip more or less enjoyable than expected, but even high altitude sections can be unpleasantly warm in the summer if your body doesn't tolerate heat well.

DavidNH
07-09-2016, 08:45
About the 100 mile wilderness: First avoid going prior to mid July at least or you could face bugs, wet weather, mud, high stream levels.

By August (your time frame) you should have far fewer bugs and better weather. I went through in late September and had spectacular weather. I took 10 days because I wanted to take time and enjoy myself. However, many long distance hikers (esp thru hikers) go through in 5-6 days. In August you'd need to be prepared for thunder showers with heavy rain. Not long lasting but enough to drench you.

in the 100 mile wilderness, the scenery is beautiful and remote. There are many large lakes and you'll hear loons. There are opportunities to swim. Yes it can still get hot but not as bad as other sections of the AT further south.

MuddyWaters
07-09-2016, 09:38
CA or CO works to avoid heat

Sometimes, you just accept heat and roll with it if you want to do something. Preferable to cold rain really.

Hikingjim
07-09-2016, 11:45
maine is on average cooler, but if you're going on a shorter hike, you could have a couple options and look at your long-range forecasts and ditch the one that has more of a heat wave and lots of t-storms.
the whites are cool in the mountains, but t-storm avoidance becomes your primary concern. I prefer a bit more heat to that.

Furlough
07-09-2016, 12:38
Head South to Grayson Highlands - weather in the 60s-80s.