PDA

View Full Version : Looking for high calorie concentrate for mornings

Gambit McCrae
07-06-2016, 16:13
I wake up on the trail, and almost always hack and cough and inevitably puke. I don't know why but its my routine, its not a blow chunks everywhere hangover kinda puke its a dry heave/ water that I drink that morning comes back up. This happens prior to leaving camp, and does not happen while hiking.
I give this back story because in return, it is extremely tough to eat anything before 11-noon on the trail. In return, I am missing out on the very important calories needed in the AM. What I have no problem doing is drinking liquids/ nasty tasting mixes any time I feel like it, so I have been looking for a 1000 calorie give or take, powder sachet that could be mixed with a liter of water and be downed before starting my day.
Looked at weight gainers but 1 serving (1300 calories) weighs .75 lbs. For a week long trip that is just not realistic. But if there is another possibility out there that I am missing, I would really like to investigate.

greentick
07-06-2016, 16:48
If you just want calories about 4oz of the oil of your choice should do it (coconut, olive, etc)

saltysack
07-06-2016, 16:58
I'd think a weight gainer would make you puke worse....not tons of cal but I've found 2 packs of carnation instant breakfast w 2 packs of instant cafe bustello mixed in hits the spot in morning...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dogwood
07-06-2016, 18:59
Arising anywhere, on trail or off, coughing, hacking, and yakking sounds like something else is happening. Get that figured out first seems of higher priority than a high cal gorging of a liquid shake in the morn, no?

Sucking down 4 oz of any kind of oil by itself first thing in the morn? :confused:

RockDoc
07-06-2016, 20:38
Don't necessarily believe the stuff about breakfast being the most important meal. Who wrote that?? Nobody knows.
If anything, I think it can bog you down as blood rushes to your stomach, or make you ill (Carnation instant breakfast absolute junk food cr@p).

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-breakfast-isnt-the-most-important-meal-of-the-day-for-everyone/#axzz4Dg8m9OOP

"...In return, I am missing out on the very important calories needed in the AM."

greentick
07-06-2016, 20:57
Sucking down 4 oz of any kind of oil by itself first thing in the morn? :confused:

LOL right! I was just throwing out 1000 compact calories, not recommending it. That said, I personally like my supper to be over 1000cal and have put an ounce or two of olive oil in a quart of soup before while cold weather hiking.

My group (section hiking) has found if we screw around in camp fixing food it takes too long to get moving. We tend to get up, breakdown our kit and hit the trail. We stop at the first scenic place and grab some food/coffee, well alert.

Dogwood
07-06-2016, 20:58
[QUOTE=RockDoc;2079226]Don't necessarily believe the stuff about breakfast being the most important meal. Who wrote that?? Nobody knows.../QUOTE]

The people selling b-fast surely signed on to say that's true! :D B-fast culture most U.S. citizens engage is anything but inspiring.

Bacon, eggs, butter, sugar, bread, NAH!

lyagooshka
07-06-2016, 21:02
If you're looking for 1000 calories, it's gonna be tough. Of the 3 main (not only) calorie sources, a gram of carbohydrates has 4 calories, a gram of protein has 4 calories, and a gram of fat has 9 calories. So, simply doing the math (454 grams in a pound) 454 * 4 (carbs or protein) = 1861 calories per pound. So you would need over half a pound to get your 1000 calories. If you want to try fats, its a little better at 454 * 9 = 4086 calories per pound. So you would only need 1/4 # to get your 1000 calories. But that's not really practical as a) you don't want to down 1/4 # of olive oil or beef fat on a queasy stomach and b) oil and water don't mix. Maybe a slightly different suggestion is to fix the dry heaves? If it's a stomach issue, maybe try some pepto before going to bed. But it sounds a little more like a side-effect of the cough. So maybe find a moisturizer, decongestant (may be post-nasal drip that is making you cough) or inhaler of some sort? Again, not a doctor, so please check with one before doing the "better living through chemistry" thing. Hope this helps.

Alex

Wise Old Owl
07-06-2016, 21:14
I wake up on the trail, and almost always hack and cough and inevitably puke. I don't know why but its my routine, its not a blow chunks everywhere hangover kinda puke its a dry heave/ water that I drink that morning comes back up. This happens prior to leaving camp, and does not happen while hiking.
I give this back story because in return, it is extremely tough to eat anything before 11-noon on the trail. In return, I am missing out on the very important calories needed in the AM. What I have no problem doing is drinking liquids/ nasty tasting mixes any time I feel like it, so I have been looking for a 1000 calorie give or take, powder sachet that could be mixed with a liter of water and be downed before starting my day.
Looked at weight gainers but 1 serving (1300 calories) weighs .75 lbs. For a week long trip that is just not realistic. But if there is another possibility out there that I am missing, I would really like to investigate.

SERIOUS ... get a full physical. Get your heart checked. Talking to your doctor is first and foremost not the internet. Now why do the drinks work? Milk and thick liquids coat the stomach and shut it down. So after checking your heart - you need a camera dropped into your stomach. They will look for issues possibly like small ulcers or stress.

Start there - not here.

Woo.

Malto
07-06-2016, 21:42
As someone who just left a part of my innerards just north of Harper's Ferry, I can offer a couple of suggestions.
1) DO NOT EAT 1000 calories at a sitting, period, if you are struggle keeping food down.
2) You don't need a lot of calories, you need the right calories. The suggestion of 1000 calories of olive Oil has to rank as the worse fueling suggestion I have ever heard. Your body need carbs for fuel but it can't process more than 200-300 per hour. COnsume more and it will sit there waiting to come back up.
3) Meter in the calories. Have a cup of coffee with hot Chocolate. That will start you off right then just eat a bit at a time. take my word for this, overeat especially without adequate water and you are asking for trouble, see first sentence. Do this throughout the day and you be fine. I learned to drink my calories in years ago when I was struggling to eat at high exertion and elevation.

saltysack
07-06-2016, 21:50
Don't necessarily believe the stuff about breakfast being the most important meal. Who wrote that?? Nobody knows.
If anything, I think it can bog you down as blood rushes to your stomach, or make you ill (Carnation instant breakfast absolute junk food cr@p).

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-breakfast-isnt-the-most-important-meal-of-the-day-for-everyone/#axzz4Dg8m9OOP

"...In return, I am missing out on the very important calories needed in the AM."

Yep...I realize it's mostly empty calories like most everything slide I cinsume while on a hike...however I never eat this crap at home! Hear is a typical day on the trail...
2-Instant bfast packets w cafe bustello coffe packets.
2-pop tarts
Belvita
A few liters of Gatorade
Gorp
Crackers and 1/2 block of seriously sharp cheddar, jerky or pepperoni
Lil Debbie cosmic brownie.....thanks Malto
Cliff bar
More gorp
brownie
Hawkvittles meal
Snickers

Literally all this is crap but it keeps me going...I'm curious what your typical daily intake consists of?

saltysack
07-06-2016, 21:51
Cafe Bustello Coffee

rafe
07-06-2016, 21:54
Just carry a five pound sack of sugar and be done with it.

MuddyWaters
07-06-2016, 22:03
about 2 cups of Nido powder should do it.

But I agree, get yourself checked out, its not normal

I usually start walking with something easy and sweet, honey bun, chocolate covered donuts, oatmeal raisin cookies, snickers, probar, etc.
then when I stop after about 2.5 hrs, a few oz of granola and milk powder. maybe some jerky too. So I have ~900 cal by 10 am or so. Lunch is about another 800 or so cal of tortillas with peanut butter or tuna/mayo and peanut mms, even if I have to choke it down and arent hungry.

If you ate a big dinner 1200 + calories, you will have some fuel in you to get you started in morning.

C-shell
07-06-2016, 22:07
I bought some powdered coconut milk from the hispanic section at WalMart. Mix with 3/4 cup of water for 350 calories.

Sarcasm the elf
07-06-2016, 22:57
Don't necessarily believe the stuff about breakfast being the most important meal. Who wrote that?? Nobody knows...

The people selling b-fast surely signed on to say that's true! :D B-fast culture most U.S. citizens engage is anything but inspiring.

Bacon, eggs, butter, sugar, bread, NAH!

Quite true, it's rather interesting the history behind the heavy American breakfast and a bit disturbing hoe kuch money has been spent on ad campaigns and junk studies to get us to gorge ourselves in the morning.

http://www.americantable.org/2012/07/how-bacon-and-eggs-became-the-american-breakfast/

In the 1920s, Bernays was approached by the Beech-Nut Packing Company – producers of everything from pork products to the nostalgic Beech-Nut bubble gum. Beech-Nut wanted to increase consumer demand for bacon. Bernays turned to his agency’s internal doctor and asked him whether a heavier breakfast might be more beneficial for the American public. Knowing which way his bread was buttered, the doctor confirmed Bernays suspicion and wrote to five thousand of his doctors friends asking them to confirm it as well. This ‘study’ of doctors encouraging the American public to eat a heavier breakfast – namely ‘Bacon and Eggs’ – was published in major newspapers and magazines of the time to great success. Beech-Nut’s profits rose sharply thanks to Bernays and his team of medical professionals.

A good NYT article on the flawed research used to support a need for breakfast every day:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/24/upshot/sorry-theres-nothing-magical-about-breakfast.html?_r=0

Venchka
07-06-2016, 23:06
I'd think a weight gainer would make you puke worse....not tons of cal but I've found 2 packs of carnation instant breakfast w 2 packs of instant cafe bustello mixed in hits the spot in morning...

Giving this serious consideration. How much water do you use to mix this? Do you add any NIDO to make it like the directions call for?
Thanks.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

egilbe
07-07-2016, 07:05
I use nido in my morning coffee when I'm hiking. Ive even been known to mix everything, including oatmeal, with my morning coffee. I guess it could more properly be called morning, coffee flavored, slurry.

I found Nido to be perfect for a post recovery drink when im setting up camp for the evening.

saltysack
07-07-2016, 07:32
Giving this serious consideration. How much water do you use to mix this? Do you add any NIDO to make it like the directions call for?
Thanks.
Wayne

I've done it with or without the powdered milk and sometimes add a few packs of turbinado from Fourbucks....it's a trail mocha...It makes nearly a small Gatorade bottle full....

perrito
07-07-2016, 08:06
Nido is great. It's the only powdered whole milk I've been able to find.
One tip - mix the powder with cold water then add hot beverage. No lumps this way.

Venchka
07-07-2016, 08:45
I've done it with or without the powdered milk and sometimes add a few packs of turbinado from Fourbucks....it's a trail mocha...It makes nearly a small Gatorade bottle full....

Thanks. I was also wondering what to put it all in.
Good luck in Colorado!
Wayne

Connie
07-07-2016, 08:50
I consume food, when hungry.

If I wake up with an appetite, I have what I have an appetite for: I know the food that satisfies me.

Some mornings, nothing at all, until my appetite signals: now would be good. anytime soon.

If I do not take action within 20 minutes, I can get "ravenously hungry" - and I eat whatever is more immediately available rather than heat something or make the grains, vegetables and meat or grains and vegetables sit-down meal I really need. If I crave meat protein, it is better if I have it in a sitdown meal, unless I fell behind in getting meat protein. Only then, I do not need more than the meat protein itself.

It is surprising how much my hunger signals tell me what I need to feed my self-regulating healthy system.

I know people are different, and not alike.

Nevertheless: ideas and "notions" based on misinformation harm us.

To find out more what works for you, be where food choices are readily available: find out, then work that information into the backpack and on the trail.

Me? 1 oz Baby Bon-Bel gouda cheese, when I need healthy fats right now. Crunchy, chewy, unguenous food either late afternoon or early evening. Warm drink morning or not, during the day seldon, evening or not. Main meal of the day late morning rarely, usually mid-day. Eat less, more often. Frequent water or juice diluted with water, seldom straight juice. Meat snacks of steak strips, slightly dried, prepared at home or sausage patties work better, for me than salty prepared meat purchased in convenience stores. I would rather have a deli turkey sandwich or the whole chicken and a salad, than have a commercial product. Etc.

I will carry Pad Thai and peanut butter powder.

I might carry the small bagged Planter's Deluxe Mix, if "salty taste" hits. I might consume half, or all.

I will not carry ramen. I do not carry "empty calories". I do not have "gorp".

I seldom "pig-out" at a restaurant this way.

Instead, I order a great meal, if I like, or I wait until I get home, sleep, then start "town-food" the next day. I prefer "my-way" of food at home or in town.

The only maxim I have: eat when hungry, and I have described how I apply that maxim.

This is me.

Venchka
07-07-2016, 08:55
Yep...I realize it's mostly empty calories like most everything slide I cinsume while on a hike...however I never eat this crap at home! Hear is a typical day on the trail...
2-Instant bfast packets w cafe bustello coffe packets.
2-pop tarts
Belvita
A few liters of Gatorade
Gorp
Crackers and 1/2 block of seriously sharp cheddar, jerky or pepperoni
Lil Debbie cosmic brownie.....thanks Malto
Cliff bar
More gorp
brownie
Hawkvittles meal
Snickers

Literally all this is crap but it keeps me going...I'm curious what your typical daily intake consists of?

"Good grief, Charlie Brown."
I couldn't carry all of that food for a week. Even if I could carry that much food, I would need another new pack.
Yikes!
Wayne

saltysack
07-07-2016, 11:32
Really not as bad as it sounds...I tend to eat something every 2 hours, it seems to keep me going. My food bag is definitely not UL......Id guess 2.5lbs per day...Gatorade powder is heavy but I really like it...

Gambit McCrae
07-07-2016, 11:36
Last 41 mile trip(last weekend), I ate (1.75) PadDay candybars, 2 probars, 2 paks of ramen a hand full of peanut butter filled pretzels 1 pack of pb crackers...the end.

saltysack
07-07-2016, 11:50
Last 41 mile trip(last weekend), I ate (1.75) PadDay candybars, 2 probars, 2 paks of ramen a hand full of peanut butter filled pretzels 1 pack of pb crackers...the end.

Assume that's per day?

Gambit McCrae
07-07-2016, 12:44
For the entire trip.

saltysack
07-07-2016, 12:55
For the entire trip.

Damn....guess I'm a pig!

egilbe
07-07-2016, 13:24
I usually can get by with a pound and a half, or two pounds per day. It really depends on the miles.

la.lindsey
07-07-2016, 13:35
Damn....guess I'm a pig!

Don't worry. I ate about three times as much food as he did. Maybe four?

Let's not even talk about my order at Wendy's afterwards.

(Hope you enjoyed the thread jack, Gambit!)

Gambit McCrae
07-07-2016, 13:42
Don't worry. I ate about three times as much food as he did. Maybe four?

Let's not even talk about my order at Wendy's afterwards.

(Hope you enjoyed the thread jack, Gambit!)

Thanks a lot jerk.

Just Bill
07-07-2016, 13:52
Agree with Malto and others- a gut buster breakfast is a bad idea. (Same with anything much past 600cal at a crack)
Also agree with figuring out why you start your day puking, less of course you enjoy yer trail whiskey too much... then you don't really have a problem.

This is an alternative not mentioned- http://www.cacafe.com/
150 cal an ounce per 8 oz serving.
Needs a Via or other instant coffee but not a bad product though a bit sugary. Nice alternative to NIDO.
You can also do two packets of Via, one scoop of the coconut, one scoop of Nido for about 300 ish calories and a good pint of hot stuff to start yer day. (Top with whiskey as needed)

Gatorade- an ounce and a half of powder is about 160 calories per 20ish ounces of water. I often mix up a bottle to drink as I walk, sometimes with extra Malto added on a faster trip.

So you can easily get 300-500 calories of decent drink down with morning coffee and the first hour or so of walking.

Instead of choking down some weird meathead powder- try something a bit lighter on the tummy like a handful of nuts or a fruit rollup style bar.

300-500 calories of drink, a 100-200 lighter snack and a few miles should settle out yer shakes enough that by mid-morning you can get a bar or two down washed down with some more Gatorade/Malto or another round of coffee if you want to cram more calories in.

Remember- the Gatorade and booze color chart is your friend
Oranges, Blues, and Purples pair best with Vodka
Lemon, Lime and Reds pair best with Dark Rum.
Yellows and Oranges go with Light Rum in a Pinch.
No color pairs with Whiskey- neat, with coffee, or water only.

BTW- You may yet qualify as in yer 20's, but eating like a 22 year old (as in your last menu above) only really works when you are on a thru at peak junk calorie burning condition... and still 22.
Sometime around 30 it gets hard to get away with eating like a zombie refugee raiding a 7-11. A snickers or candy and the occasional ramen are tasty snacks- but not really a meal plan.

JC13
07-07-2016, 14:18
Leaving tomorrow with 2 lbs per day, not sure how you survived on that little bit of a snack.

jjozgrunt
07-08-2016, 08:03
Berry Berry jump start smoothie - 4ozs - 370cals, and Cranberry Griddle scones with honey - 6.2ozs - 600 calories. Both from Pack It Gourmet but a pain to make up.

la.lindsey
07-08-2016, 11:47
Berry Berry jump start smoothie - 4ozs - 370cals, and Cranberry Griddle scones with honey - 6.2ozs - 600 calories. Both from Pack It Gourmet but a pain to make up.

That smoothie is delicious but I taste it constantly for the rest of the day.

MtDoraDave
07-09-2016, 08:30
I used to be really nauseous in the mornings...when I drank and smoked a lot. I couldn't keep more than a couple bites of breakfast down...so I took my breakfast with me to work. A couple hours later, I ate it without issue.
As others have said - see a Dr. If they find nothing wrong, and you're confident they were thorough, then do as others have said and eat when you can.

Greenlight
07-09-2016, 13:56
Doctors have been reversing themselves in droves since the latest research has revealed that the advice they've proffered over the past forty plus years has been a bunch of B.S. Fat doesn't make you fat. Sugar and processed foods cause systemic inflammation which causes a host of chronic diseases. So your "nah" should contain a caveat. Yeah, the best diet you can take in is mostly greens and a mix of raw and cooked vegetables, supplemented with beans, nuts, berries, seeds, garlic, onions, shrooms, and drinking mostly water...but that said, we need fat. Natural fat is good for you. Hold your head so it doesn't explode. Animal fat is good for you. Pork fat is good for you. Tallow is good for you. Shortening and lard are good for you. On a scale of great to crappy, a nice thick whole grain bread is probably somewhere in the middle, but any bread products with highly refined and bleached flours is worse for you and should only be taken in occasionally as a treat. Treat meat like a condiment (by our standards) because it is only recommended to eat a four ounce portion per day of meat. Four ounces. Smaller than the palm of your hand. My problem with meat these days is the amount of antibiotics and hormones they pump into them. I'd rather buy a couple pounds of locally sourced bison and chicken that will last me a week at $10 to $15 per pound, than the factory produced garbage they sell at the grocery. So YAY for bacon. Hip hip hurrah for a couple of eggs over easy (cooked in pork fat), butter, and a hearty slice of nine-grain bread! :p

Deacon
07-09-2016, 14:36
Leaving tomorrow with 2 lbs per day, not sure how you survived on that little bit of a snack.

I just walked 48 days on the AT, had planned my meals at 1.96 lbs/day. I never could eat all of what I planned. I think I consumed somewhere around 1.6 lbs/day. I either gave away some of my food, or in some cases threw it away.

Venchka
07-09-2016, 22:09
I just walked 48 days on the AT, had planned my meals at 1.96 lbs/day. I never could eat all of what I planned. I think I consumed somewhere around 1.6 lbs/day. I either gave away some of my food, or in some cases threw it away.

How did you plan 1.96 lbs/day? Was that just the average you stumbled into?
Wayne

Deacon
07-10-2016, 05:49
How did you plan 1.96 lbs/day? Was that just the average you stumbled into?
Wayne

It's just an average of listing all my daily food on a spreadsheet. I knew what I ate last year, but ended up losing a lot of weight and muscle strength. I tried upping the calories per ounce, and total weight to counter the weight loss, but still couldn't eat what I planned.

Connie
07-10-2016, 07:43
There are others in this forum who report they lost no weight and did not lose muscle mass.

It sounds like you did not take into account taste and texture of the food.

I would include odor, as well, as all these things switch on the appetite.

Try this at home: saute onions or green vegetables or root vegetables in a little olive oil.

Perhaps you do not like onions or olive oil. Nevertheless, find out what that cooking odor does for your appetite.

The odor of baked bread switches on appetite: make bannock or pan bread at the campsite. Many backpackers have figured out how to make a pan muffin at the campsite.

The problem of strictly freeze-dried meals is they usually lack a "cooking odor".

Most frequently backpacking meals have lacked texture.

The only prepared and sold backpacking items I select have cooking odor and different texture.

I know there are people who think my Vargo 750 titanium Sierra is foolish, but I saute in that pan, as well as, boil water. I saute an onion, mushrooms, and more recently, I lightly dry roast spices, instead, then add a little olive oil, then add the food.

I specifically mentioned "unguenous" taste and texture in my first post in the thread because it is the taste and texture we almost never have while backpacking, unless we specifically plan to have it: sauted onions, sauted mushrooms have it. It is the taste and texture of a joint of meat, roasted with the cartiledge or oxtail soup or a whole roasted chicken.

The trick is to think of what you can have while backpacking, and do it.

Some say paleo, others say primitive. The fact is, we have a longer history of this kind of food, a history longer than this life: we need the "five tastes" according to many traditional cuisines, and my experience is we need taste and texture.

How many hikers say they dehydrate a home-cooked meal for the trail?

How about a 3-minute egg? I have carried a two-egg carrier for more than 5-days at a time hikes.

How about an omelet prepared in a metal cup? I have had that at a campsite: melted real cheese, a drop or two of truffle oil. I know that meal improved how I felt about that uninteresting campsite and uninteresting hike.

I know there is a loss of appetite starting out at altitude or exertion, but the appetite starts up again. If not, why not? Pushing too hard? Ignoring signals of appetite?

Venchka
07-10-2016, 07:56
It's just an average of listing all my daily food on a spreadsheet. I knew what I ate last year, but ended up losing a lot of weight and muscle strength. I tried upping the calories per ounce, and total weight to counter the weight loss, but still couldn't eat what I planned.

Thank you for the information.
Wayne

The Old Chief
07-10-2016, 18:39
Here is a recipe that was given to me by Tagless and Tagalong, experienced hikers. I used it in 2010 on the Long Trail. You have to prepare it in advance and maildrop as necessary if you like it. Mix 2 packages of instant breakfast (chocolate preferably), one scoop of muscle protein milk powder (at GNC) and one tablespoon of instant coffee with one liter of water. I had each mornings mix in separate baggies and mixed it up before going to bed the night before. It tastes good and worked for me.

Gambit McCrae
07-11-2016, 08:57
I did a 10 mile "strenuous" hike this Saturday, normal pace not trying to set any records just enjoying the day. But I had a sausage egg and cheese biscuit(not available on the trail I know), a Payday, a Snickers and a Butterfinger. A pack of ramen for lunch and some other snack stuff along the way. On top of that, I brought Gatorade and at every water break I would drink a liter of Grade. I had more energy then I knew what to do with. I was day hiking, but carried 10lbs just for that argument, I just need to be more conscious about forcing it down early on in the day. I will be trying the above as well sounds like a promising concoction.

Malto
07-11-2016, 09:24
I did a 10 mile "strenuous" hike this Saturday, normal pace not trying to set any records just enjoying the day. But I had a sausage egg and cheese biscuit(not available on the trail I know), a Payday, a Snickers and a Butterfinger. A pack of ramen for lunch and some other snack stuff along the way. On top of that, I brought Gatorade and at every water break I would drink a liter of Grade. I had more energy then I knew what to do with. I was day hiking, but carried 10lbs just for that argument, I just need to be more conscious about forcing it down early on in the day. I will be trying the above as well sounds like a promising concoction.

Not to rain on your parade but you can do a ten mile hike using only your glycogen stores. For perspective, marathon runners will sometimes hit the wall between mile 18-20. Mountain hiking will burn off more caloies per mile but to is also done at a slower pace reducing the rundown of glycogen.

having said that, sounds like you metered the calories in nicely. Have you broken out how many calories per hour, especially carbs, you consumed on that trip. Your body will likely not process much beyond 250 calories per hour.

Traffic Jam
07-11-2016, 09:40
Not to rain on your parade but you can do a ten mile hike using only your glycogen stores. For perspective, marathon runners will sometimes hit the wall between mile 18-20. Mountain hiking will burn off more caloies per mile but to is also done at a slower pace reducing the rundown of glycogen.

having said that, sounds like you metered the calories in nicely. Have you broken out how many calories per hour, especially carbs, you consumed on that trip. Your body will likely not process much beyond 250 calories per hour.

Holy cow, that's about how much I eat and drink on a 3 day trip. I also can't eat very much when hiking but don't see it as a problem. Coffee for breakfast, nibbles of a granola bar after I start hiking, very small snacks throughout the day, and a normal (for me) dinner works fine most of the time. My energy level tends to decrease in the afternoon but I've learned that 5-10 peanut butter m&m's gives me what I need.

I burn an average of 4,000 calories/day when hiking per my heart rate monitor.

Traffic Jam
07-11-2016, 09:41
Sorry, meant to quote Gambit McCrae. :)

AfterParty
07-11-2016, 11:14
2 cheese danishes from the gas station will give you 900.

u.w.
07-11-2016, 12:23
Here is a recipe that was given to me by Tagless and Tagalong, experienced hikers. I used it in 2010 on the Long Trail.
Mix 2 packages of instant breakfast (chocolate preferably), 1 scoop of muscle protein milk powder (at GNC), and 1 tablespoon of instant coffee with one liter of water. It tastes good and worked for me.

I've noticed a tendency of flat out not liking big cooked meals in the morning myself. I'm going to try this, plus maybe add just a tiny bit of electrolytes and some Malto.... Or maybe substitute malto for one packet of instant breakfast?
Ahhhh.... the fun of experimenting.
I just did from Franklin NC (Winding Stair Gap) up to Standing Bear Farm hostel from July 1 - 6, and decided to go stoveless through the Smokies for my breakfasts. So I was only cooking one meal a day, that being in the late-ish afternoons. Not only did it not make a huge yummy, steamy, smell in the pre-dawn hours (read that DARK) (my main reason for doing it thru the park), it also turned out to be a big time saver - which means more sleep -or- hiker longer.... neither being a bad thing to me.
This dry mix looks very promising and will very likely be lighter than what I carried through - which was cliff bars and pro-bar meal bars.

Thanks for posting up yer question Gambit, and thanks to all who've contributed viable and useful info

u.w.