PDA

View Full Version : (Un)common Issues

lilgodwin
07-06-2016, 17:17
Did a quick search, so hopefully I didn't miss it if there is one. But I'm going to gather a list of common and uncommon issues that one can realistically prepare for, or simply avoid, in general.

I'm starting to think about my emergency kit at the moment so I'd like to know what I should be packing, or at least think about packing.

I'll start, and hopefully those of you with more (any) experience will chime in.

I'd like to compile a list like so:
(Issue - how common or easy to encounter - causes - fixes)

1. Twisted Ankle - 6/10 (fairly common) - Causes: not watching where your going, going too fast, weak ankles, pack too heavy - Fixes: with ankle brace or ace bandage.

2. Dehydration - 4/10 - Causes: not planning water accordingly, more common in dry summers - Fixes: research water sources, ask passing hikers, carry an extra liter.

3. Bears - 2/10 - Causes: leaving food out at camp, improper hanging technique, previous hikers not packing out everything they brought, sometimes seen out near the trail during the day - Fixes: conceal all food at night and hang food bag properly (PCT method?), don't sleep with food, if encountered near trail, avoid and hike around.

Those were easy ones of course, not that they're 100% correct. Feel free to comment or alter according to your findings.

Some issues I'd be interested in hearing about from other, more knowledgeable, hikers are:

Rashes
Blisters
Ticks
Bug Bites
Shin Splints
Giardia
Ripped Pack/Bag/Tent
Snakes
Etc.

I understand there are some threads that may pertain to a single issue, but I'd like to see a one-stop-shop for these types of things so that I can reference them easier. Links that fit the bill are certainly welcome.

Feel free to contribute! [emoji4]

Leo L.
07-06-2016, 17:23
Items lost or forgotten

07-06-2016, 18:52
You did mention bug bites, I found them to be severe, I used a product called after bite, itlooks like a marker an contains a base something like sodium hydroxide. I used it often, bee stings, spider bites, fly bites. I am a bit sensitive bites and they would swell up to fist size bumps. I say spider bites but I do not really know what bites you at night in the shelters, it got so bad I'm had to use a tent.

lilgodwin
07-06-2016, 19:52
Ah, definitely need to make sure I keep my stuff together and create a routine so that I don't forget anything anywhere. I suppose marking things with basic info would be a great idea. Didn't think about that. Nice!

@1234 - Sounds like a handy thing to have, good to know. Something that's all-purpose to many various bugs would be ideal. I also read the thread about treating clothing and items in pertherin(sp?) as a preventative. Both I plan to do.

garlic08
07-06-2016, 20:13
The first four items in your secondary list are all skin issues. Your skin is your largest organ, and skin problems are what put a lot of people off the trail. Add sunburn, poison plants, boils, fungus, burns from cooking, frostbite. Your kit should concentrate on skin problems, and specifically the skin problems you have. I hardly ever get blisters, so my kit is very light on blister care, but I do get athlete's foot sometimes so I carry an antifungal.

If you're prone to digestive problems, carry stuff for that. If you're not, don't. Same with headaches and joint pain.

Preventive care is of course more important than first aid care.

Much major first aid can be supported with common pack items. A trekking pole and bandanna can be used to splint and bandage. Your sleeping bag and shelter can be used to treat hypothermia and shock. And of course there's duct tape.

Training, experience and good judgment are the best things we can carry, and are far more important than what's in a kit.

RockDoc
07-06-2016, 20:30
Getting lost and falling are things that will happen to you, sooner or later.

lyagooshka
07-06-2016, 20:50
Just wanted to address #2 9pun sort of intended as you'll see in a minute) on your list. There are many ways to get dehydrated. One of the most obvious is not enough water. But another that people tend to overlook is vomiting and/or diarrhea. If you get either of these, remember that your demand for water could double. Carrying some pepto tablets might be a solution (ask a doctor, which I am not), or taking a zero day until the 'issue' passes (again, pun intended, sort of). If you have nay of these conditions for more than a few days, you need to find a doctor or clinic ASAP. Could e a sign of a more serious condition. Also, don't forget that dehydration (as well as heat stroke, etc.) is not only a hot-weather issue. When warm-weather folks get out in the cold, they [sometimes] tend to over dress. Then, they lose a liter + just in sweat. Not to mention being at risk for a heat injury as they basically bundle themselves into a walking pressure cooker. And as far as NVD (nausea, vomiting and diarrhea), don't forget it could take a week to develop. So if you didn't feel like filtering or treating the water 2 days ago, and you're still ok, you may not be out of the woods just yet, so if you're heading for a place where water may be scarce, keep that in mind.

Safe hiking.

Alex

lilgodwin
07-06-2016, 21:13
Oh! Before I forget, thank you Garlic08 for reminding me. I definitely wanted input on athletes foot and even jock itch. Not sure how common those issues are, along with preventative and preferred methods treatment out on the trail.

Wise Old Owl
07-06-2016, 21:25
Uh just get out there and hike... then get back to the group....

lilgodwin
07-07-2016, 00:17
Uh just get out there and hike... then get back to the group....
What? I'm afraid I don't follow.

MuddyWaters
07-07-2016, 00:56
What? I'm afraid I don't follow.

After you see a 300 lb bear run from you like a little girl
And hike/limp 20 miles to town with a sprained ankle
And maybe walk 10 miles with no water
Or a day with no food

Youll discover that most of you worries are just not founded. Your way over-analyzing things.

Connie
07-07-2016, 02:57
I carried a lot of gear to help others: ankle air-cast, air splint, shoulder immobilization sling, double-weight mountain rescue rope, rock climbing gear, portable sports oxygen, and etc. I never needed it. Not once.

One time, I was glad I had the smallest butterfly bandages (laceration on a young woman's face) and one time I was glad I had xeroform bandages (great for a motorcyclist's road rash).

Everything else: the knowledge I had.

I like that insect bite stuff; it was in the .7 Adventure Medical Kit. I still have the smallest butterfly bandages and the xeroform bandages. I added the O'Tom big and little tick remover. I carry a small non-leak container of 3% hydrogen peroxide.

I used to carry a Claritan and an Excedrine in those individual envelopes. Not any more. Never used it.

I might take 4 mg 24-hr generic antihistimine. Maybe not.

Nowadays, I just don't have more than a one ziploc bag 1st aid kit.

gsingjane
07-07-2016, 07:10
One thing I have never seen mentioned - but unfortunately very common for those folks like me whose teeth are in expensive process of "going south" (i.e., old fillings decaying, losing crowns) - is "teeth emergencies." Two items I never travel without are Anbusol (gum-numbing gel) and Fixodent (glue to re-fix a crown).

Another thought, and I have also seen this on the trail, is eye infection. Boy these can be debilitating. If you have a tiny tube of eye antibiotics, maybe pop that in as well.

Jane

MuddyWaters
07-07-2016, 07:27
One thing I have never seen mentioned - but unfortunately very common for those folks like me whose teeth are in expensive process of "going south" (i.e., old fillings decaying, losing crowns) - is "teeth emergencies." Two items I never travel without are Anbusol (gum-numbing gel) and Fixodent (glue to re-fix a crown

Jane

Unfortunately, we are programmed to die. Teeth problems start occurring with age that are uncommon in young people.

An inflamed or dieing tooth nerve is...extremely painful. Same class as a kidney stone.
Both are good reason to carry a few oxycodone or such type painkillers if have them, and a bunch of ibuprofen.

Maydog
07-07-2016, 13:59
I have a small FAK that will help with cuts, burns, and sprains. It has:

small tube of neosporin
12 - 200mg ibuprofen
10 - butterfly closures
6 - regular bandaids
1 pr surgical gloves
6 - alcohol prep pads
3 ft - duct tape (wrapped around a tongue depressor)
tweezers
tape
gauze pads

I keep all of this in a Plano 3440 waterproof box. Will add to this as needed.

bigcranky
07-07-2016, 18:10
Youll discover that most of you worries are just not founded. Your way over-analyzing things.

Totally agree with this. I was always worrying about something - water, or my blisters, or whether there would be a campsite for us. Our first long hike cured me of all of those things. :)

Doctari
07-07-2016, 18:24
1: Watch where you are going, no matter how tired you are!!! I hike with the thought always in my mind: "PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN FLAT! WATCH WHERE YOU ARE GOING!!" Sometimes I even add "Dumba**" If I'm being extra stupid / careless. IF you have the room, can afford the weight cost, sure, take a Ace or 2 with you. I suggest a Multi purpose wrap instead of a fitted (knee, ankle, etc) one so you can use it no matter what body part you mess up....
2: Drink every chance you get! That's: DRINK EVERY CHANCE YOU GET!!! "cameling up" works for some, It did NOT work for me this year!! I spend day 3 in a motel with MAJOR leg pain from cramps I got on Day 1. What is "extra"? in some places you cross water every 1/2 miles, in a few places in Virginia, it's 10 miles between Water sources. I can usually get 4 miles with what I carry, or about 3 - 4 Ltrs. YMMV!
3: Hang your food every time you camp!! Do not RUN from the bears. That is unless you can outrun,,,, your hiking partner! Camp with others (safety in numbers & all that, I do it in the hopes that the bear will eat someone else. LOL). Sorry, the first 2 of #3 are valid, the rest, well,,,,
Blisters, yep, there is a good chance you will get them. Get a Hot spot (a somewhat painful spot on a body part) TREAT IT NOW! TREAT IT AT THE FIRST STEP YOU FEEL IT!! DO NOT WAIT! I like Duct tape over Moleskin, but I carry both.
Bug Bites, get bug spray, use it, it does help.
Rashes: Gold Bond for chaffing, hydrocortisone for the other stuff.
Giardia: Treat all of your water,,,, or don't. I go both ways, with not treat being my method of choice, but it's your call. Seek medical help ASAP if you feel like everything is flying through you &/or you are in pain.
Shin Splints: Hiking poles, & watch how you walk.
Stuff WILL break, tear, wear out, etc. Duct tape, Super glue, sewing kit, etc. AND: Know how to use the stuff you carry!
Snakes,,,, sorry, I don't see that as a problem. So: ?????

Did a quick search, so hopefully I didn't miss it if there is one. But I'm going to gather a list of common and uncommon issues that one can realistically prepare for, or simply avoid, in general.

I'm starting to think about my emergency kit at the moment so I'd like to know what I should be packing, or at least think about packing.

I'll start, and hopefully those of you with more (any) experience will chime in.

1. Twisted Ankle - 6/10 (fairly common) - Causes: not watching where your going, going too fast, weak ankles, pack too heavy - Fixes: with ankle brace or ace bandage.

2. Dehydration - 4/10 - Causes: not planning water accordingly, more common in dry summers - Fixes: research water sources, ask passing hikers, carry an extra liter.

3. Bears - 2/10 - Causes: leaving food out at camp, improper hanging technique, previous hikers not packing out everything they brought, sometimes seen out near the trail during the day - Fixes: conceal all food at night and hang food bag properly (PCT method?), don't sleep with food, if encountered near trail, avoid and hike around.

Those were easy ones of course, not that they're 100% correct. Feel free to comment or alter according to your findings.

Some issues I'd be interested in hearing about from other, more knowledgeable, hikers are:

Rashes
Blisters
Ticks
Bug Bites
Shin Splints
Giardia
Ripped Pack/Bag/Tent
Snakes
Etc.

I understand there are some threads that may pertain to a single issue, but I'd like to see a one-stop-shop for these types of things so that I can reference them easier. Links that fit the bill are certainly welcome.

Malto
07-07-2016, 20:18
Top ten uncommon issues that I don't worry about.
1) Cannibals other than really hunger hikers.
2) meteor strikes
3) Magnetic Polarity shifts.
4) Being knock out by huge pine cones. (Well, I did worry about that once.)
5) Evil trail builders that make a circular trail.
6) Falling into a sink hole.
7) Tidal waves.
8) Waking up and finding my shoes stolen.
9) Finding a shelter full. I don't stay in shelters.
10) Waking up and deciding I no longer want to walk.

Fredt4
07-07-2016, 20:32
"3. Bears - 2/10 - Causes: leaving food out at camp, improper hanging technique, previous hikers not packing out everything they brought, sometimes seen out near the trail during the day - Fixes: conceal all food at night and hang food bag properly (PCT method?), don't sleep with food, if encountered near trail, avoid and hike around."

The issues you list aren't real issues or even correct solutions. Hanging your food bag is debatable and likely to fail. I'll argue that sleeping with the food is a much more effective technique but that's just a personal issue that you'll have to learn. I suggest that you focus more about how to learn from the hike and how to resolve issues that to think you can compile a list of solvable issues as you'll soon find one that you haven't listed. So HYOH, and enjoy.

MuddyWaters
07-08-2016, 04:04
Do worry about mice when sleep in shelters
Spend enough nights in them, and sooner or later, the little bastards will nibble on your favorite gear.
Even tenting near them in late spring after weeks of high use can be hazardous. They get conditioned, seriously.

Ticks are legitimate too from va north. Permethrin and frequent checks.

Traveler
07-08-2016, 08:53
We don't get nearly enough information on how to deal with Bigfoots.

mandolindave
07-08-2016, 13:23
Circus Clowns……. Luckily…I haven't run into very many on the trail. I think it's because those long shoes are hard to hike in. Just sayin'...

Bronk
07-08-2016, 13:50
The solution to most problems is to keep walking and make it to the next town.

lilgodwin
07-08-2016, 14:51
Ticks are legitimate too from va north. Permethrin and frequent checks.

Glad you mentioned this. I never really recall ticks in the deep South, but did experience them in Virginia when I was there a few years ago. So VA is pretty much the dividing line?

MuddyWaters
07-08-2016, 15:25
Glad you mentioned this. I never really recall ticks in the deep South, but did experience them in Virginia when I was there a few years ago. So VA is pretty much the dividing line?

There are ticks in the south, for sure, especially in lowlands.
The dividing line for concern is based on this:
http://www.floridahealth.gov/diseases-and-conditions/lyme-disease/_images/cdc-2013-reported-lyme-map.JPG

Noctambulant
07-08-2016, 18:37
I'd echo the sentiment that most of the 'what if' stuff you consider you'll never actually need but you'll learn fast and can drop unused kit in a hiker box somewhere. As @RockDoc and @Doctari have already said, a lot of problems are overcome by being careful and looking after yourself and your gear: hike well within your comfort pace and daily mileage, step carefully, keep your eyes open and be serious about keeping your feet healthy and your sleeping gear dry. You know what you're most sensitive to or prone to, make sure you address them.

A young bear stole my properly hung food bag one evening at Cherry Gap shelter (there were no cables there) despite much yelling and shovel-banging: if a bear wants your food, it'll probably get it! Beyond that, I saw one rattlesnake (NJ), two or three copperheads (PA), a bit of poison ivy (TN), picked up four bee or wasp stings and saw maybe four or five bears (various locations, all southbound). None of these required any treatment or response (but see @1234: you should know how much this applies to you). I did pick up a tick in VT and took one off a hiker I was with in CT (see below). On the other hand, both of the most uncomfortable events, one marginally life-threatening, were weather-related so I'd suggest you take that possibility seriously with good waterproof (and, as importantly, windproof) options. Be flexible and be prepared to take a short day or stay longer than planned if the weather does close in.

Having said that I'd add:

The O'Tom Twister set (http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick) as mentioned by @Connie weigh only 5.5 g, including instructions and re-closable bag. They are by far the best tick removal tools around in my view and ticks are something you can count on as needing to check for and remove.

Despite being a long-time sufferer from athlete's foot, mine actually disappeared during my hike. That and the absence of blisters I attribute to using injinji toe-sock liners though I also sense that 2015 was an unusually dry year (any comments?). You'll need a new pair every 500 miles or so if you opt for them.

I always treated all my water with AquaMira drops, pre-filtering it using a SteriPEN FitsAll Filter or a clean handkerchief if necessary, and had no problems.

I eventually dropped all but a few ibuprofen from my med kit (leaving only a few imodium tabs, none of which were ever used, and a small Swiss Army knife) but, southbound from mid-Virginia after mid-August, I added EmergenC or nuun electrolyte replacement after I started to get crampy in the warmer and more humid weather.

In the 'whodathunk it' category, a couple of fellow hikers and I not only encountered a circus clown in Crawford Notch but were kindly ferried into Crawford, VT by her.

Dogwood
07-08-2016, 19:43

Rashes
Blisters
Ticks
Bug Bites
Shin Splints
Giardia
Ripped Pack/Bag/Tent
Snakes
Etc.

Wildlife like bears and venomous snakes receive a lot of discussion on trails like the AT, and rightly they deserve it, but as Justin Lichter "Trauma" said in Backpacker small animals especially rodents like mice, rats, and raccoons(Not rodents) are typically more of a day to day hazard particularly when opting for beat down AT campsites like AT lean-tos.

These are the most hazardous risks in general although it changes based on where, when, how, etc one backpacks.

1) Slips, trips, and falls
2) Not projecting a positive mental attitude/given to mental negativity
3) NOT taking care of feet

2) meteor strikes
7) Tidal waves.

4) Sugar Pinecones(of the PCT, etc) and falling coconuts are definite hazards to be concerned. Falling coconuts have fallen on people that killed them.

5) Oh those evil PUD designers

6) Falling into a slimy or crusted over mud sinkhole is not as uncommon as one may think especially in places like tidal mangrove swamps. Better know how to get out of this quagmire. I didn't when I first stepped into one quickly getting sucked in in Florida. What a mess getting out crawling on my stomach through the stinking sticky mud.

Related to falling in a sinkhole is having the edge of a shoreline escarpment or canyon, such as at GCNP, give way.

7) Don't need a tidal wave to spoil the day/night. A sneaker wave along the Pacific Northwest coast or uncommon higher than avg tidal surge along trails on the west coast and in Hawaii can easily result in being dragged into the ocean. In the case of the Pacific Northwest the ocean can be rough along the coast with water temps hovering around 55* quickly resulting in hypothermia.

8) In Seaside OR while stealth camping in an area unknown to me as being a druggie homeless site recently awoke to having dirty wet socks and bandana stolen

Dogwood
07-08-2016, 19:54
After you see a 300 lb bear run from you like a little girl
And hike/limp 20 miles to town with a sprained ankle
And maybe walk 10 miles with no water
Or a day with no food

Totally agree with this. I was always worrying about something - water, or my blisters, or whether there would be a campsite for us. Our first long hike cured me of all of those things. :)

I thought wisdom and instruction - gaining a greater awareness - WHILE NOT CEDING TO UNFOUNDED FEARS was a desirable thing?

Deacon
07-09-2016, 14:52

I've hiked 1700 miles of the AT nobo, and have yet to see my first tick. Not saying they're not out there, but I quit worrying about them (I do use permethrin).

Fireplug
07-09-2016, 15:49
http://youtu.be/_N5Jkw4lzrc

This was mid June in NC.

Riocielo
07-16-2016, 11:31

We DO get ticks in the Deep South, but they are mostly dog-ticks, not deer ticks.

My husband and I came home from Blakeley Park in Baldwin County, AL with a tick on each one of us.

Tipi Walter
07-16-2016, 12:14
One thing I have never seen mentioned - but unfortunately very common for those folks like me whose teeth are in expensive process of "going south" (i.e., old fillings decaying, losing crowns) - is "teeth emergencies." Two items I never travel without are Anbusol (gum-numbing gel) and Fixodent (glue to re-fix a crown).

Another thought, and I have also seen this on the trail, is eye infection. Boy these can be debilitating. If you have a tiny tube of eye antibiotics, maybe pop that in as well.

Jane

Very good post. Over the years I have been out backpacking and broke teeth by chewing the dang-blasted trail food and granola bars I carry. Once had a complete set of 3 crowns pulled off by eating a simple larabar. Another crown dislodged on another trip but I had temporary crown glue with me and it works for a year or so. Always part of my standard load.

Eye problems are a real hassle---getting a gnat in the eye and having it work its way back and stay lodged in for 3 days sucks!! I carry eye sty cream to offer relief. Part of my standard load.

Unfortunately, we are programmed to die. Teeth problems start occurring with age that are uncommon in young people.

An inflamed or dieing tooth nerve is...extremely painful. Same class as a kidney stone.
Both are good reason to carry a few oxycodone or such type painkillers if have them, and a bunch of ibuprofen.

A severe toothache can ruin a trip---I've had several "out in the woods" and it's no joke. The Indians used a shape stick placed against the base of the tooth and hit with a rock---but our teeth nowadays are so riddled with fillings that such a technique would probably only break the tooth apart, leaving a couple root stubs embedded.

One time recently I went out on a long 18 day trip just a day after having two molars pulled and one socket stayed sore and inflamed for the whole dang trip. It was worrisome.

2) meteor strikes
7) Tidal waves.

These are truly uncommon events while on a backpacking trip. All the rest---insect bites, hornet stings, bear encounters, rattlesnakes, tripping, falling, blisters, rashes, squirts and sharts---all are just part of living out.

The solution to most problems is to keep walking and make it to the next town.

This is the most depressing thing I have read this week. And it's one reason I avoid backpacking on the Appalachian Trail---everyone is either rushing to a town or just coming from a town. Sad.

A better idea? "The solution to most problems is to hunker in and stay out as long as possible and embrace Miss Nature's mood swings or whatever else she has planned for you." To quote Jeremiah Johnson, I've been to a town. I go backpacking to avoid towns.

But I agree with Doctari---foot placement and trail concentration is of utmost importance. Dogwood says "slips, trips and falls" and he's right. It's a weird fact but I used to fall all the time when I was 30 year old and backpacking. I just didn't care and could take the fall. Now 35 years later I rarely fall because I concentrate hard on the trail below my boots and go extra slow to avoid falling. This is especially true when going down a nutbusting trail carrying an 85 lb pack. And during difficult creek crossings.

Dogwood's positive mental attitude is the most important thing. Bailing comes to those who don't have a positive mental attitude. Whining and complaining comes to those backpackers who don't have a positive mental attitude. And there's nothing much worse on a backpacking trip than being with Whiners.