PDA

View Full Version : Ride to AMC Highland Center from AT crossing at Crawford Notch (US 302)

Berserker
07-07-2016, 12:30
I'm going to be up in the Whites soon and just assumed, which was my fault, that the AMC shuttle ran through here in the afternoon. I looked at the schedule and the last bus goes through at 1:25 PM. My itinerary has me coming from Galehead Hut, so 14+ miles to get to the road. Doesn't look like I'm going to make that shuttle.

So what are my options to get a ride late in the afternoon? Taxi? Hitch? Does anyone know if I can get cell service (Verizon) here?

Nooga
07-07-2016, 13:35
I hitched and got a ride rather quickly. If it is raining, it might be more of an issue.

Slo-go'en
07-07-2016, 14:02
I thought maybe you could use the A-Z trail and hike directly to the Highland center, but going that way involves a really big climb to get over the shoulder of Mt Tom. Probably not something you want to do at the end of the day.

You'll just have to hitch. You definitely don't want to walk the road, it doesn't have any shoulders to speak of and is real narrow and twisty.

Rain Man
07-08-2016, 10:21
I did not have cell service, but had arranged a ride. Perhaps the shuttle driver list maintained by the ATC on its website? It's state by state, so you can zero-in on NH.

burger
07-08-2016, 10:31
Just hitch. IIRC, there's a parking lot right there where the AT hits the road. You can try to yogi or ask for a ride from hikers returning to their cars (that's what I did).

Dogwood
07-08-2016, 20:15
thumb da thumb da da thumb thumb thumb OR ASK IN PERSON.