PDA

View Full Version : NC 106: Osage Mtn Overlook, TH Bartram Trail

The Solemates
01-06-2006, 11:39
Has anyone ever parked here? I would like to start at Hale Ridge Rd/FS 7(?) but last time we parked there our car got vandalized and I dont want to repeat that.

Does the Osage Mtn area have a parking lot, is it exposed/remote, etc? I have been there before and I think I know what it looks like, but I may have it confused with somewhere else...

C-Stepper
01-06-2006, 20:03
Osage is an overlook in the truest sense (there's not a real parking lot) and it isn't a remote area. Hwy 106 was very busy when I was there recently, but it was Thanksgiving Eve.

Enjoy your hike.

Edited to add, since I didn't finish answering your questions...I'm not sure what you mean by exposed, but it is an open area (no wood surrounding it). You can see the overlook area easily from 1/2 mi away on the road from either direction.

Youngblood
01-07-2006, 10:12
...I would like to start at Hale Ridge Rd/FS 7(?) but last time we parked there our car got vandalized and I dont want to repeat that. ...
Sorry to hear about that, I've only had one case of my vehicle being vandalized over the years. Could you give more details? Like how recently, what did they do and do you have any idea as to why?

The Solemates
01-08-2006, 20:52
Sorry to hear about that, I've only had one case of my vehicle being vandalized over the years. Could you give more details? Like how recently, what did they do and do you have any idea as to why?

this was 3-4 years ago when we were doing the GA section of the bartram. we drove 2 cars, parked one at hale ridge and the other at the chattooga river. we hiked nobo and our car was gone when we arrived to hale ridge road. luckily, and much to our surprise, a couple of day hikers GAVE us their car with no questions asked and told us to just leave it in a town near our southern TH at the river once we had gotten our other car back. they were really nice folks. anyways, we went to the police, and they had impounded the car. someone had evidently tried to steal it one night. they had somehow got it to the middle of the road (we had parked in the woods, off the road) and then got spooked, thinking someone was coming. they left it in the middle of the road so that no one could pass. some guy who lived back there then tried to go to work the next day and couldnt because our SUV was blocking the FS road. so the police were called and it was impounded. unfortunately, the back quarter panel and taillight and bumper was vandalized (or either accidentally bashed in by another car in the process). it literally looked like someone tried to drag it with another truck because there were skid marks everywhere. the police said having out of state tags didnt help, as they had had an instance of vandalism at the same place a few years back. no valuables were in the car, and nothing of value was in plain site. we have no idea why they would have wanted to steal a '94 explorer with 130,000 miles on it, and a bad paint job. but then again, crooks are dumb.

The Solemates
01-08-2006, 20:53
Osage is an overlook in the truest sense (there's not a real parking lot) and it isn't a remote area. Hwy 106 was very busy when I was there recently, but it was Thanksgiving Eve.

Enjoy your hike.

Edited to add, since I didn't finish answering your questions...I'm not sure what you mean by exposed, but it is an open area (no wood surrounding it). You can see the overlook area easily from 1/2 mi away on the road from either direction.

but people do park here, right? would it be ok to leave my car for a few days?

Youngblood
01-08-2006, 21:22
Solemates,

Sounds like a case of 'somebody has to be the victim'. That is what I figure was the case with my truck. Was the same timeframe as yours but was at Unicoi Gap. Two tires slashed on one side, no other damage and an empty liquor bottle within two feet of my truck. Truck was there one night with plenty of other cars at the trailhead and I didn't see damage to any of them. I had no problems with anyone on the trail, on the road or anywhere at that time, before then or since then.

C-Stepper
01-09-2006, 09:14
but people do park here, right? would it be ok to leave my car for a few days?

No one was parked there when I came thru, though I saw folks parked at other places that actually had lots or were more remote, including Hale Ridge Rd. Why not finish your hike there, at Hale Ridge Rd? Not that much less, mileage-wise. I do remember that it's a dirt road where it crosses the BT, and I don't know how far back it is from pavement (I don't have my trail guide here at work with me).

This, of course, doesn't mean that you can't park at the overlook. I don't *remember* seeing any "No Parking" signs there, but I was on foot and wasn't looking for such things, and I've only been there once. I know that I'd be worried that my car would get towed from an overlook...you'd have to "sign" the car and hope that would take care of the problem with the highway patrol.

Franklin is not very far away, so parking at Ron Haven's place (he owns two hotels there) and getting him to shuttle you isn't too far-fetched (and cheaper than repairing a vehicle or paying the tow truck). I feel it's likely he'll do this, as he offered me the same deal. He's shuttled me, and is a very nice guy.

The Solemates
01-09-2006, 14:47
No one was parked there when I came thru, though I saw folks parked at other places that actually had lots or were more remote, including Hale Ridge Rd. Why not finish your hike there, at Hale Ridge Rd? Not that much less, mileage-wise. I do remember that it's a dirt road where it crosses the BT, and I don't know how far back it is from pavement (I don't have my trail guide here at work with me).

If you read my original post, you will see my hesitation. pay attention :)

i may try ron if all else fails. does anyone have a number for him?

thanks...

C-Stepper
01-09-2006, 21:44
Forgot, busy life...phone number sent to your email.