PDA

View Full Version : 3 weeks in Appalachian - looking for suggestions!

Eryk
07-08-2016, 01:57
Hey all!

I'm new here and very happy that I found this amazing forum! You guys are doing great job:) I'm 31 year old, based in Brooklyn, NY and two years ago moved to NYC from Poland. I have long term experience in hiking and mountain climbing, been on multiple mountain expeditions ( Alps, Pyrenees and Carpathians in Europe, Pontics in Turkey and Himalaya in Asia). After moving to U.S never had a chance to find time to explore american mountains and finally this summer I can do it!

As a start I've chosen the Appalachian, as that's the closest chain to where I leave. I start reading about the Appalachian but it's such a giant chain that it's hard to choose a specific area where I should spend my time. I'll need to find a crew/partner but first need to decide where I wanna go. So I came with an idea that it would be good to hear an advice from those of you who have experience. I would be more then happy to hear what you would suggest for someone like me, with those leads:

- I got up to 3 weeks
- I'm looking for rather wild, not crowdie area
- I like long and rather difficult trails
- I like to camp in tent, ideally in area where I'm free to camp anywhere
- I got necessary gear and experience
- I don't mind if the trail is far from NY

So far I was thinking about Black Mountains in NC

I'm open to hear any of your ideas! Thanks!

Venchka
07-08-2016, 03:02
Going way off topic to match better match your criteria.
The Rocky Mountains.
http://www.adventurealan.com/wind-river-high-route-guide/
Have fun.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

MuddyWaters
07-08-2016, 03:16
Maine. Go sobo.

Odd Man Out
07-08-2016, 08:59
Do you know about the Benton MacKaye trail? That would seem to tick all your boxes.

http://www.bmta.org/

mandolindave
07-08-2016, 10:10
Given your criteria, AND THE HEAT, I would suggest The 100 Mile Wilderness, and onward.

jbwood5
07-08-2016, 10:58
I'd suggest starting at the trail crossing E of Gorham, Maine, and head north. I think most, if not all, your criteria will be met.

lyagooshka
07-08-2016, 11:18
Maine. Go sobo.

Second that.
Streams should be down, and the 100 mile wilderness is about as wild as you can get.

jbwood5
07-08-2016, 12:11
I'd suggest starting at the trail crossing E of Gorham, Maine, and head north. I think most, if not all, your criteria will be met.

Actually I meant Gorham, NH and hike into Maine. You get the Mahoosic Notch and the Arm which is quite thrilling and a good challenge.

Hikingjim
07-08-2016, 12:39
I agree that Maine would be a good fit if you want wild and challenging. It's also cooler in the summer than a lot of other options
Past peak bug season now, and if you're leaving later in the summer, it would be a perfect time

Eryk
07-08-2016, 19:38
Thanks a lot folks! I've checked all of you suggestions.

Maine / The 100 Mile Wilderness looks great in deed. However, going through some
info about i found this relation http://sectionhiker.com/how-to-hike-the-100-mile-wilderness/
where I've read that " In August, the trail is crowded with other hikers and kids from summer camps"
As I can leave around 24th of July, that might be a problem.

Has any one of you been there in early August? Is it actually crowded?

My other question would be about finding a partner or joining the group.
What would you guys suggest, beside "The Meet up" section on this forum?

jbwood5
07-08-2016, 20:09

Maine / The 100 Mile Wilderness looks great in deed. However, going through some
info about i found this relation http://sectionhiker.com/how-to-hike-the-100-mile-wilderness/
where I've read that "In August, the trail is crowded with other hikers and kids from summer camps"

It is possible you will run into youth groups anywhere on the AT. I wouldn't say that the AT is terribly crowded, but you will certainly see at least a few people every hour or two, with some exceptions. I found that most crowded section was where the Long Trail and the AT are the same trail in Vermont. Last year, I started the 100 mile wilderness on July 30 and arrived on the top of Katahdin on August 9. I'm not a real fast hiker at my age. Baxter was a bit crowded, but I had no problem staying in the Birches (limit of 12). Since you have 3 weeks to hike, you probably want to start further south and in New Hampshire if the plan is to go north.

Venchka
07-08-2016, 20:22
I take it you're not up for thinking outside the box or away from established, well blazed, well trodden trails?
I hope you find what you're looking for.
Have fun.
Wayne

Hikingjim
07-08-2016, 20:54

where I've read that "In August, the trail is crowded with other hikers and kids from summer camps"

Everything is more crowded in August. Almost everywhere, not just the AT!
But I would say it's your best bet if you want to do the AT. Other difficult sections like NH are going to be much busier. Vermont on the AT is busy then. Haven't hiked in the south in August, but it doesn't meet much of your criteria and I would imagine the popular areas would be very busy.

Hikingjim
07-08-2016, 20:55
In August, I would think the only trail you'll find that is good at not busy would be a poorly marked trail and/or a trail that is very remote.

Venchka
07-08-2016, 21:09
In August, I would think the only trail you'll find that is good at not busy would be a poorly marked trail and/or a trail that is very remote.

Or no trail at all.
Wayne

MuddyWaters
07-08-2016, 22:33

Or a trail in Arkansas.

Eryk
07-08-2016, 23:43
Sure, that's a fact: August is most popular month for vacation so it might be hard to find anything not crowded. But that's fine, i didn't want to sound like someone who looks for actually completely empty trails:) Still, I think it's good to start exploring american mountains from AT so Maine sounds good.

Now I need to find a partner or join a group. I mean I could go hiking by myself but it's always better to have a buddy.

rocketsocks
07-09-2016, 07:05

What would you guys suggest, beside "The Meet up" section on this forum?check out "NY/NJ trail conference" they're a very active group in the NY area.

perrito
07-09-2016, 08:16
What if he was to hike the 100 mile wilderness, Katahdin, the Knife's Edge and continue north. What's it like on the IAT? Probably less crowded.

perrito
07-09-2016, 08:21
Also, he can probably just plot a non-AT course through the Whites and have a great time for 3 weeks.

Or hike the Long Trail...

Shutterbug
07-09-2016, 17:44

I hiked the 100 Mile Wilderness in August one year. There were no crowds, but it rained every day. The remains of a hurricane passed through. It rained really hard for about 12 hours, then rained off and on every day. The trail was muddy and overall it wasn't an enjoyable hike. After 5 days, I found a place with cell coverage and called Katahdin Air Service to come pick me up.

I have hiked the 100 Mile Wilderness several times and consider it one of my favorite places to hike, but I won't hike it in August. Late September and October are my prefered times.

When it comes to defining a "crowd", people have different definitions. When I first started hiking in the 100 Mile Wilderness I was surprised at how many people are in the "Wilderness." For example, one can hike in the Eagle Cap Wilderness in Oregon and hike all day without seeing another person. You can camp beside a beautiful pond and be all alone. That isn't so in the 100 Mile Wilderness. You will pass quite a few people on the trail and when you camp there is likely to be someone else with hearing distance.

You said that you didn't mind if you had to go a long distance from New York. For hiking and camping in August, the best places are in the Rocky Mountains or in the Northwest. If being alone is a prime objective, check out the Eagle Cap Wilderness in northeast Oregon.

Venchka
07-09-2016, 18:24
That's what I said in post #2.
Think outside the box. Go West. Trails optional.
Wayne

MuddyWaters
07-10-2016, 12:35
Now I need to find a partner or join a group. I mean I could go hiking by myself but it's always better to have a buddy.

Says who?
If you only willing to hike with a buddy, you wont go hiking much, and probably not any significant distance. Weekends and overnights close to home, sure.
Its simply to difficult to mesh schedules very often with jobs, unless you are related, like spouse or kid.

Hiking solo is very rewarding. Better than looking at someone elses backside for 8 hrs per day for sure. You see more wildlife, you meet more people and talk to them, etc.