PDA

View Full Version : Good AT day hikes in southern Maine

JLorenzo77
07-08-2016, 07:15
Hey gang - I may be doing a family vacation next June in Portland, Maine. I've never been up there. I looked and the AT is about 2.5 hours away. I'd love to take a few of my more physically fit family members, wake up early and knock out ten miles or so. Does anyone know of a good trailhead for parking a car and something along those lines?

Obviously it would be an up and back hike (having only one car).

Thanks and happy hiking!

Josh

egilbe
07-08-2016, 07:35
The AT goes right through Grafton Notch State Park. Either climb Old Speck, or do the Bald Pates on either side of RT 26

JLorenzo77
07-08-2016, 07:48
The AT goes right through Grafton Notch State Park. Either climb Old Speck, or do the Bald Pates on either side of RT 26

Thanks Egilbe - I will take a look into that one. I guess I'm in for a shock terrain-wise after only hiking in WV and MD, huh?

tdoczi
07-08-2016, 08:00
from the portland the same travel time will get you to the whites as it will to grafton notch. the northern presi's is probably a better hike than old speck or baldpate, though they're all great

egilbe
07-08-2016, 08:00
Just a bit of a shock, yes. :D

Traveler
07-08-2016, 08:03
Old Spec would be my choice for a day hike too. Not too far from Portland, has some nice views, and gives you a taste of the Mahoosuc mountain range in Maine that are among the hardest miles on the AT. There are other options, but this would be one of the best in my view.

egilbe
07-08-2016, 08:18
And if you aren't married to the AT, you can also get some great hiking in Evans Notch.

JLorenzo77
07-08-2016, 08:21
Thanks everyone. My wife expressed interest in going but this is the same person who refuses to buy hiking boots, opting instead for Nike's. She gets away with it on the Maryland section but this will be a different ballgame. I think I might like to try Old speck!

JLorenzo77
07-08-2016, 08:22
And if you aren't married to the AT, you can also get some great hiking in Evans Notch.

Ahhh...definitely not married to the AT. But I would like to see a different part of it as I don't envision a thru hike in my future.

egilbe
07-08-2016, 08:52
Old Speck is a good dayhike. Don't be intimidated by the wall of granite you see from the parking lot. You go around it, kinda.
View from the parking lot looking towards the Eyebrow and a view of East Baldt Pate from West Bald Pate

Slo-go'en
07-08-2016, 09:00
Actually, Baldpate (going north from Grafton Notch) is a better and somewhat easier hike. Old Speck has a wooded summit (although it does have a fire tower) while Baldpate is an open summit and the walk between the north and south peaks is an interesting one. It gives you the "above tree line" experience with much less effort then anywhere in the Whites (other then driving up Mt Washington). Just make sure it's a good weather day with no chance of thunderstorms.

peakbagger
07-08-2016, 09:03
Old Speck is quite steep, the original AT route (now closed) was one of the steepest in Maine. The current route is lot more friendly but you still have a lot of elevation gain. Its hard to do loops on the AT in the area, the only one that comes to mind is Mt Carlo to Goose Eye in the Mahoosucs and that is an extra hour plus as the loop is from the Success Pond Road. Speck has limited views, one at the top, some obscured ones along the ridge and one on top of very large cliff if you take the Eyebrow trail. The views driving up and into Grafton Notch also are real nice. A swag is 6 hours up and down

As mentioned Evans Notch has better loop potential. The Baldface Circle trail is a classic but can be long day for folks new to white mountain hiking. http://sectionhiker.com/great-hikes-baldface-circle-trail-evans-notch/. It does involve ledges. There is bypass around the steepest part of the ledges by taking the Slippery Brook Trail which is an old logging grade with a nice grade (for the whites) it still gets you up South Baldface. Due to the extensive above treeline bring plenty of water a minimum of two liters each. Its similar effort to Speck and has much better views. Its a bit closer to Portland but getting to the trailhead takes about the same time as RT 113 is quite rural. Plan on 8 hours of hiking. The hike is done clockwise (up the ledges), if you decide that South Baldface is enough, hike back down Bald Knob Trail and Slippery Brook trail.

A bit less challenging in Evan Notch is Specked Mountain, via the Blueberry Ridge trail (aptly named if you time is right). It connects for a short distance with Bickford Brook trail to the summit and then Bickford Brook trail back down to the same parking lot. There are views from the Ridge but the majority of the hike is in the woods. Probably 5 hours

An alternative mountain on the NH side of the border in Bartlettt NH is Kearsage North. It has great views of the whites from a restored fire tower. Its an up and back. Hard to beat. Its about the same driving time as Speck, or Baldface Circle trail. If you have a car nav, the drive up over the mountain aftr the hike via Hurricane Mountain road is probably worth the trip. Its about the steepest paved road in NH, its in a valley so no steep dropouts but make sure you downshift on the way down as you will smoke your brakes, its definitely something to try. It end up on the Maine side of the border. About 5 to 6 hours for the hike. I use this hike to "bait the hook" for new hikers. It has a very well graded trail.

The general guideline in the whites is 2 miles an hour plus 1/2 hour per 1000 feet of elevation gain.

egilbe
07-08-2016, 09:11
I think the Baldpates are comparable to the Baldfaces in Evans Notch as far as effort required. Neither are "Easy", but neither are insurmountable. They are fun hikes.

peakbagger
07-08-2016, 10:50
I recommended the Baldfaces in place of the Baldpates as its a loop. The Baldpates are an out and back and steeper. The nice part is that its easy to cut the hike short on an out and back.