PDA

View Full Version : Women GG Vapor Trail Users

Alligator
01-06-2006, 12:39
Looking for feedback from women who have used a GG Vapor Trail. We would like to switch my wife to this pack. Her pack weight needs to be under 20, preferably no more than 15 lbs. I realize there are lighter packs for a sub 20 pound weight, but she appreciates padding on the shoulder and hip belts. The pack is only 26 oz. in her size, so the extra padding is acceptable for the weight gain. My biggest concern is how well the shoulder straps fit in the front. My wife is 5' 3" and is not big-chested. We are trying to get her load down as low as possible, but comfort in the fit and suspension of the pack is a little more important if the weight penalty is not too steep.

Footslogger
01-06-2006, 12:50
[quote=Alligator]Looking for feedback from women who have used a GG Vapor Trail.
==========================================
Alligator ...my wife (BadAss Turtle) saw the light and switched to the Vapor Trail in May of last year and did over 200 miles with it on the AT in Vermont and Mass in July. Her base weight (without food or starting water supply) was 18 lbs. From her comments I would say that she was VERY satisfied with the pack. I'll shoot her a note and tell her to logon and add her own personal comments.

'Slogger

Bad Ass Turtle
01-06-2006, 14:35
I switched from various kinds of Arc'teryx to the Vapor Trail last year. The reason I loved my Arc'teryx packs was that the women's hip belt was so heavily padded, and that I could get the women's shoulder straps as well. I found the switch fairly easy to make -- the Vapor Trail doesn't have as much padding as the Arc'teryx, but it makes it possible to carry a lighter load, which was a good tradeoff for me. The only times I have found it painful was when I overloaded it -- which it sounds like you won't be doing.

The suspension is good for a lightweight pack, and the padding was ok.

Hope this helps --

BA Turtle

Alligator
01-07-2006, 14:16
Thanks BA Turtle. For health reasons, we're going to keep my wife's pack weight pretty low. I'll be carrying a good portion of the gear, and we intend to keep her pack around 15 like I said, fully loaded. Being a man, I have no insight as to the effectiveness of the additonal curve added to the shoulder pads of women's packs. Given the low load, I was thinking that the unisex design for the Vapor Trail would still be ok.

We have an Ariel 60 for her, but want to drop the weight. The Vapor Trail drops it 22 oz, which is considerable in both her and my opinions.

firefly
01-08-2006, 11:32
I am a 5'2" female and use a Vapor Trail for loads heavier than 15lbs. I love it. Not everyone makes a pack that fits the shorter 15" torso-if your wife is only 5'3" that may be her size. If you can you may want to go to an outfitters shop first and try on different packs with 20 lbs loaded on them. Packs have different framesheets-the part of the pack that hits your back. Osphrey packs have a solid framesheet that is curved and hits the small of your back. Gregory packs have the split lumbar pads that run vertically up and and down. Most other packs have one of these styles or no frame sheet at all. Your back will prefer one style to the other-espically if you have the shorter torso. Your wife will be able to feel the difference if she trys on both styles loaded with 20lbs. The Vapor trail has the split lumbar framesheet.

Alligator
01-08-2006, 13:59
Excellent information Firefly. I went down to the basement immediately after reading to check my packs: Vapor Trail, Aether 60, and Arc'teryx Bora 95. Santa brought me a Vapor Trail (Regular) for Christmas, and I see what you are saying. My wife actually has a longer torso, 17", as I do too. I measure at 21", so I filled it up to check it out for sure, as I am on the cusp. The short goes as high as 18", so I think she's fine. No close outfitters here, about 1 hr 15 minutes drive. I have my eye on a Vapor Trail with significant savings and wouldn't want to go to the outfitters and buy elsewhere. If we have to ship it back that's just gas money anyway.

I think we'll get the Vapor Trail, then as a final test just load up both packs like you mention and see which one she likes best. As a side note, I like the fit of my Aether 60 a little better, but also think it may be broken in better.

C-Stepper
01-09-2006, 08:43
I'll be the sole naysayer, at least so far.

I only have 2 packs, one I carry for lightweight 3-season backpacking, and the other pack I carry for winter loads, when I carry considerable more gear.

I have had a Vapor Trail for several years, and it's my primary pack, as most of my hiking is the 3-season sort. The fact that I carry this pack 9 times out of 10 would lead one to believe that I actually love this pack, but I don't. It is OK, for me, for under 20 pounds...but only OK.

The shoulder straps rub me wrong and leave my collarbone bruised. The back padding is nice. The hipbelt slips, and I have to cinch it all the way for the pack to ride properly on my hips (and, I have the short size...I'm 5'7", but I'm all legs). I hate the side pockets.

My Mountainsmith Chimera is way more comforable than my Vapor Trail. However, all this being said, carrying 1 1/2 pounds less pack weight is worth the sacrifice in comfort to me, much of the time.

Alligator
01-09-2006, 10:56
You changed your alias C-Stepper. Have you ever had your back measured for pack size? Do you think that a woman with wider hip bones would have a problem with the hipbelt slipping? Say if there was room to tighten the belt. The difficulty with the hipbelt you describe appears similar to one that I had with another pack. That is, the belt was as tight as it would get but was still loose causing the pack to ride down.

I agree, the side pockets need modification. I think a loose mesh would work better.

C-Stepper
01-10-2006, 09:34
Have you ever had your back measured for pack size? Do you think that a woman with wider hip bones would have a problem with the hipbelt slipping? Say if there was room to tighten the belt. The difficulty with the hipbelt you describe appears similar to one that I had with another pack. That is, the belt was as tight as it would get but was still loose causing the pack to ride down.

Yes, REI measured a 15" torso on two different occasions, two different salespeople, with their pack-sizing gizmo thingy. (No other outfitters here from whom I could get a second opinion, though I have THREE REI's to choose from. The measurement could be in error, but I think it's pretty close because of other packs I've tried on--but did not purchase).

In the Vapor Trails' defense, though, the 15" torso is the minimum of the advertized range of the short-sized Vapor Trail. It could be that I am really just under the 15" minimum the pack was made for, if you take the margin for error into account. This could certainly explain the problem I have with the shoulder straps.

Certainly you are likely right, wider hipbones would certainly help the hipbelt fit better, so my trouble with it slipping down MAY not be an issue for your wife. Don't forget that the hipbelt is the one thing that can be switched out on this pack, so, if the hipbelt doesn't fit quite right the outfitter may be able to find something that will, to a point.

FYI, as it appears weight is an issue, I noticed your listed pack weight (26 oz) doesn't match mine (33.8 oz, with 2 straps cut off). Just thought I'd mention it since I noticed it, as some folks care, others don't.;)

Alligator
01-10-2006, 10:35

FYI, as it appears weight is an issue, I noticed your listed pack weight (26 oz) doesn't match mine (33.8 oz, with 2 straps cut off). Just thought I'd mention it since I noticed it, as some folks care, others don't.;)
Duh, 16oz in a pound not 12, so 1 lb 14oz=30 oz listed. You'd think the 14 was a good clue:o . I was subtracting 1 lb 14 oz from the 3 lb 4 oz listed for the Ariel, so at least I got the weight savings correct LOL.

From what I've read, the way to measure for pack size is to follow the top of your hipbones horizontally over to your spine. Then measure from there to the big (knobby) vertebra in your neck. It helps to bend your head forward a little. I've done it myself with non-stretchy string, but it helps to have someone else do it.

Thanks for the information.